It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: SATURDAY REPORT - 21/1/12
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 am 

Stocksfield 1 Harraby 3
The real winner here was the 'gale' blowing straight down the pitch that made it impossible for either side to play good football . Harraby managed to score 2 with the wind behind them 1st half then defended well in the 2cnd. before breaking to grab a 3rd. We even missed a pen. , the normally reliable 'Swifty' threatening a passing train more than the home goal with his slightly wayward effort :lol: , before Stocksfield scored in the last minute for a consolation .
At least it was warm in the Cricket Club afterwards , good banter too :D :wink:

Post subject: Re: SATURDAY REPORT - 21/1/12
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:25 pm 

Ponteland 1-3 Rutherford.

Very even first half, even maybe described as quite dull with both sides being very cautious. Ponteland threatened down the wings and Rutherford's Joe Hindmarch had a great strike well blocked. That was about it for the 1st 45.

2nd half was very different though. Andy Reay really came into the game and won a penalty after a neat 1-2 with Todhunter, who scored the penalty. 5 mins later it was 2-0 when Ross Taylor made the most of a short backpass to score. Rutherford were reduced to 10 men on 77 mins and Ponteland grabbed a lifeline on 78. Nervy times ahead! But then a magnificent run by Andy Reay saw him beat at least 3 players, running from half way to the byeline, then along the byeline to the front post before laying it on for Ross Taylor to grab his second. Very pleased to create a bit of space between us in the league table, now for an even harder test next weekaway to Percy Main

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:36 pm 

Pinpoint Recruitment Amateur Cup Semi Final

Willington Quay Saints 2 Harton & Westoe 1

The saints reached there first cup final for 5 years and first in the Northern Alliance with a memorable victory over high flying Harton & Westoe

We went ahead in the first 5 minutes when liam taylor finished in style after being sent through by Mark Henderson and should of been further ahead at half time but liam was denied by the post, Glen Johnson fired wide when well placed and Dale Johnson then fired over the bar from 8 yards. Hartons only efforts came from long range and we were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 ahead at half time

We doubled our lead with a penalty which was harshly awarded for a handball from a long range shot, Glen Johnson took the pen and cooly slotted the ball home. Liam should of sealed the win but missed a sitter from 4 yards and we were left wondering if missed chances would come back and haunt us. The last half an hour seemed to last forever as Harton threw everything at us and they pulled a goal back with a quality header from a inswinging cross. Then in a nerveracking last 5 minutes there number 9 had the goal at his mercy after a defensive mistake but somehow fired agonisingly wide and with almost the last action of the game there number 4 headed a free header at the back post into the side netting as the saints clung on to famous victory and a place in the final.

The game should of been wrapped up inside an hour but we managed to hang on anyway meaning we have now beat the top 3 in our league to reach the final and now face Bedlington Terriers Reserves for the trophy.

Great day in Saints history totally deserved after a brilliant team performance celebrations went well on into the night and we cannot wait for the final now. We wish Harton & Westoe all the best in their bid for promotion which im sure they will be successful in as they are a very good side.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm 

lowsa12 wrote:
Pinpoint Recruitment Amateur Cup Semi Final

Willington Quay Saints 2 Harton & Westoe 1

The saints reached there first cup final for 5 years and first in the Northern Alliance with a memorable victory over high flying Harton & Westoe

We went ahead in the first 5 minutes when liam taylor finished in style after being sent through by Mark Henderson and should of been further ahead at half time but liam was denied by the post, Glen Johnson fired wide when well placed and Dale Johnson then fired over the bar from 8 yards. Hartons only efforts came from long range and we were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 ahead at half time

We doubled our lead with a penalty which was harshly awarded for a handball from a long range shot, Glen Johnson took the pen and cooly slotted the ball home. Liam should of sealed the win but missed a sitter from 4 yards and we were left wondering if missed chances would come back and haunt us. The last half an hour seemed to last forever as Harton threw everything at us and they pulled a goal back with a quality header from a inswinging cross. Then in a nerveracking last 5 minutes there number 9 had the goal at his mercy after a defensive mistake but somehow fired agonisingly wide and with almost the last action of the game there number 4 headed a free header at the back post into the side netting as the saints clung on to famous victory and a place in the final.

The game should of been wrapped up inside an hour but we managed to hang on anyway meaning we have now beat the top 3 in our league to reach the final and now face Bedlington Terriers Reserves for the trophy.

Great day in Saints history totally deserved after a brilliant team performance celebrations went well on into the night and we cannot wait for the final now. We wish Harton & Westoe all the best in their bid for promotion which im sure they will be successful in as they are a very good side.

A marvellous achievement! Well done to all, sounds like a massive effort from the WQS players!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 pm 

Thanks for that Falcon. Since we lost 9-0 against Bedlington Terriers Reserves in the league we have regrouped and went on a great run of form in the cup competitions ironic we should get them in the final. Do you or anyone know where the cup finals will be played this year ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm 

great stuff. I don't know where the finals will be played but I believe Ponteland held a final at their ground last season (?)

I'd probably expect them to be held somewhere where gate money can be taken, so a premier club, or northern league perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:29 am 

Shankhouse 1 Seaton Delaval 1

Both goals scored in the first half, how the hell we didn't score second half is anyones guess. We even had an effort 12 inches from the line and headed wide! The pitch was heavy but a good game by both teams in a strong wind. As ever good to see S/house et al. Always a tough nut to crack...that's the team not S/House.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am 

Hi Mick

I thought neither team deserved to lose

No bad tackles -- both teams tried to play football in difficult conditions

Didnt know you were interested in my Nuts

Very generous in the club afterwards

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:06 pm 

SHouse wrote:
Hi Mick

Didnt know you were interested in my Nuts

Very generous in the club afterwards

:mrgreen:

I would just like to stress very loudly those last two sentences are not related. :shock:

What I will tell anyone that is prepared to listen, think of this as its very much a trick Harrabby would play. Where was Syd just before the game? I'll tell you...in the trees.... Syd is responsible for turning the wind machine on, you will notice when Harrabby is away Shankhouse are at home and when you play them the wind changes around at half time, we had a chance from 12 inches out could of been a foot I'm not good with measurements when all of a sudden Syd pulls out a remove and a twister appeared ball goes wide....chance lost, it was a twister I tell ya...I'm not talking about a Corkey dance here I'm talking about a hurricane force wind. The ball went out, Syd pressed a button, wind dropped....coincidental? I think not....You see with S/House and Mike from HCCFC its all about experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 am 

Walker Central 1 v 0 W/Bay

W/Bay controlled the game for long periods with our keeper making a great save in the first half.Second half is much the same, but we look like we can score on the counter attack,they hit the bar, we score from a corner. W/Bay have no luck and for the first time this season we get the rub of the green

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

hurdy wrote:
Walker Central 1 v 0 W/Bay

W/Bay controlled the game for long periods with our keeper making a great save in the first half.Second half is much the same, but we look like we can score on the counter attack,they hit the bar, we score from a corner. W/Bay have no luck and for the first time this season we get the rub of the green

Yeah but the real test is the double header in Feb! Julie wont know who to support! Oh she'll be saying Walker I know, but deep down she'll be battling with conscience probably hoping for a draw!