It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: half term report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am 

Well, as most teams are either at or approaching the halfway point of the season,lets try and put a few questions out there and see what opinions are are held.Over the years of my involvement in NWCFL as player, secretary, manager and chairman, I have always said that the Christmas period and the following few games often dont determine where the title will be heading , but more often than not it can show where it wont be heading.

The teams who like to play passy passy football or use pace in attack, come up against the heavy pitches and conditions that dont suit their type of play. Teams that can adapt their style to the heavy conditions, or those bigger more physical teams, although might not be able to get themselves back into the title hunt, they can certainly have their say in where it wont be heading....

A few posers to hopefully raise some discussion and opinion.

It looks as though Rammy, Barlick and Runcorn Town and of course the mighty Bucks could be vying for top spot for christmas and beyond , but who is more likely to adapt to the winter.

Linnets have too many games in hand now and recent form suggests they are stuttering,...

Glossop, whos playing surface looks fantastic are still sitting nicely to pounce...

I would discount Flixton at this stage, already lost too many and their pitch isnt the best...but which of the top 5 or 6 still have to go there and get a result...

Anyway i would welcome some comments or opinions on the state of play....

Post subject: Re: half term report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm 

I think Rammy put down a marker with their 4-1 victory over Glossop at the weekend. Another big game time with Barlick and Rammy facing each other. I think we will see the current top 4 teams pulling away over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 pm 

Would like to think we at Alsager will have a say in who eventually wins the league.

Still got to play Winsford, Barlick and Glossop twice, and Rammy and Runcorn Town still got to come to our place.

Wasn't hugely impressed with Rammy at their place (although was boiling hot) and defend my comments about Bootle as we created 6 good chances against them and better teams than us will punish them.

Tipped Barnoldswick at start of season, and see no reason to change that as yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:15 pm 

Rammy appear to have had the edge over Barlick in their encounters so far this season, one in the league and the other in the cup saw 2 victories for the Rams. I think this season is going to go down to the wire as all the teams in the league this year are picking up points off each other. I agree with the initial post that the Xmas period will have a big say (hopefully games will get played) in who comes out on top at the end of the campaign.

My final 3 tip is as follows:

1. Rammy
2. Barlick
3. Runcorn Town

Anyone else any predictions on the final 3?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 pm 

Well...... as things stand, we won't be in the frame. Unless of course, anybody knows where we can find a 30 goals a season striker, who doesn't mind taking a bit of a pay cut !! We're not far off, but the lack of decent striker and our inability to kill games off, when we need to, mean we won't be in the top three or four, I'm afraid. I wouldn't disagree with Boothy's top three, based on what I've seen.

Ye Gods..... Matt is a moderator ! LOL ! Don't forget mate.... you can't pull the plug on someone, just because they say St Helens are Kak ! Come to think of it though.... I suppose you can now ! LOL !!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 pm 

Glossopade wrote:
Ye Gods..... Matt is a moderator ! LOL ! Don't forget mate.... you can't pull the plug on someone, just because they say St Helens are Kak ! Come to think of it though.... I suppose you can now ! LOL !!!

Haha, hell is reporting unusually cold temperatures at the moment! I'm watching you!! Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:05 pm 

Heart says Bootle to finish top but head says Rammy with the games in hand.
Then again they have to play Bootle twice and games in hand only count if you win them.
So going to say a top 3 of.

1, Rammy
2, Bootle
3, Barnaldswick

Although still think Runcorn Town might sneak into 3rd.
One things for sure, we are in for an exciting second half of the season

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm 

I'm surprised to hear you feel you need to sign a striker Glossopade as from what I've seen (so far) Sam Hind and our own Jon Robinson are by far and away the best two forwards in the league, perhaps someone to support him rather than be the main man! I don't think there's too much between the top 5 sides although I haven't seen Bootle or Runcorn Town, being consistent and being able to adapt your game over the next 6-8 weeks as the Bootla fan said will have a big bearing. Mondays game between Bootle and Town could have a bit of a say on what happens but Barlick, Rammy and Glossop need to be winning their games.

So far it's been very interesting and competitive and I believe it will go right down to the wire, as was posted earlier it's great having games in hand but they've got to be won. Look what happened between Glossop and Barlick!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:07 pm 

Good points RUFC and please don't get me wrong, Sam Hind has been a revelation this season, he works his socks off ( nearly said something else then, but Matt might be watching ! ) and he's scored 13 in all Competitions so far. It's that front partner for him we're short of, as you rightly said, which we believe would give us that extra bit we need, to kill teams off when we're on top, which has cost us very dear so far this season. To describe your lad Robinson as a handfull, would not do him justice, so I'll describe him as a top forward.

As we have all agreed..... right down to the wire this season, which makes a refreshing change !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 pm 

S1H wrote:
Would like to think we at Alsager will have a say in who eventually wins the league.

Still got to play Winsford, Barlick and Glossop twice, and Rammy and Runcorn Town still got to come to our place.

Wasn't hugely impressed with Rammy at their place (although was boiling hot) and defend my comments about Bootle as we created 6 good chances against them and better teams than us will punish them.

Tipped Barnoldswick at start of season, and see no reason to change that as yet.

Do you still stand by those words, we played a better team today and finished 0-0.
Would have been 1-0 but for an outstanding save from there Keeper.
Although suppose Town would say the same if they had not missed the penalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am 

stevel wrote:
S1H wrote:

Do you still stand by those words, we played a better team today and finished 0-0.
Would have been 1-0 but for an outstanding save from there Keeper.
Although suppose Town would say the same if they had not missed the penalty

Yes, stand by my comments - I dont think Bootle will win the league. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Glossop managed to live up to their fans comments on their forum in yesterday's game - good up to the 18 yard box and then lacking a clinical finish in the area - it was a hard-fought encounter and one we were thrilled to win.

Looking at the fixtures in January, I would expect things to be a bit clearer at the end of the month.