It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Player Insurance
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:49 pm 

Has anyone got any experience of claiming loss of earnings back through the player insurance due to an injury sustained playing sunday football? I was injured in April, had 2 weeks off on full pay (with sick note) and then 4 further weeks after an operation needed to fix the problem in September. As i only receive 4 weeks sick pay a year, is there any way I could claim back 2 weeks full pay through the leagues insurance or would i be better off applying for statutory sick pay through my employer?

Post subject: Re: Player Insurance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:44 pm 

I work in the claims department for a solicitor, used to work for an insurance company. Would check the actual policy 1st as some will not cover you for loss of earnings, but would assume this one would. Also have you notified them in good time as some policies say that the insurance company need to be advised of a potential claim within a set period. If this happened in April and you did not notify them you might be out of time.

If you are covered what you are probably going to need is 3 months wage slips prior to the reduction of wages and a copy of the wage slip showing the deduction in wages. You will also have to get a letter from your employer confirming the dates you have missed from work and that the deduction is purely down to this incident. Once you have this submit it to the insurance company as part of the claim. If you have any further queries just respond to this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm 

cheers for that most helpful. I have got in touch with the clubs secretary who will look into it for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm 

The sports guard insurance you only get a standard £50 per week and must make the claim within 60days of the incident. By the sounds of it you won't be able to claim anything now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm 

Regal - was talking to one of the solicitors who i work with and he said that even if the incident was not reported in time a lot of insurance companies will still deal with it. So even if they have not been notified it is worth a try. Apparently a recent court ruling was made that if the claimant could not have reasonably foresaw the need to claim then the insurance companies reporting period would be null and void. Therefore, in this instance you may still be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 pm 

cheers frank, i have left it for the clubs secretary to look into and contact the insurance company on my behalf.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:04 pm 

No problem. But if you have any queries just let me know.