It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Who are the best team in Ashton?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 am 

Although only friendlies, the next 2 are a little more important than that, and i hope the Curzon players realise this. We have 180 minutes to find out who can call themselves the best team in Ashton-Under-Lyne. As someone who grew up in the West End of Ashton, and went to Curzon from a very early age, i really hope we come out on top over these 2 games. Forget the fact that the Hurst Cross lot are in a league above, we are the team who have had the greater success in recent years, with promotion from the North West Counties, successive play-offs, last year's FA Cup run. We have the modern stadium, they have that old, decrepit stadium, which seems to be falling apart at the seams. The day will come, in the near future, when their ground is no longer fit for purpose. They will then try and do a deal with Tameside Council to ensure they get the groundshare, which i secretly think their directors would like. Come on Curzon. Do what you did to Hyde, and give them a good whipping! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Who are the best team in Ashton?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 am 

As you say, we have a modern stadium. But they call it soulless. Is there any chance that we could dilapidate a section of the ground so that they could feel at home?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:48 am 

They call it soulless because they are jealous. They'd love a modern stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am 

pacesetter wrote:
Although only friendlies, the next 2 are a little more important than that, and i hope the Curzon players realise this. We have 180 minutes to find out who can call themselves the best team in Ashton-Under-Lyne. As someone who grew up in the West End of Ashton, and went to Curzon from a very early age, i really hope we come out on top over these 2 games. Forget the fact that the Hurst Cross lot are in a league above, we are the team who have had the greater success in recent years, with promotion from the North West Counties, successive play-offs, last year's FA Cup run. We have the modern stadium, they have that old, decrepit stadium, which seems to be falling apart at the seams. The day will come, in the near future, when their ground is no longer fit for purpose. They will then try and do a deal with Tameside Council to ensure they get the groundshare, which i secretly think their directors would like. Come on Curzon. Do what you did to Hyde, and give them a good whipping! :lol:

Don't get too ahead of yourself - although there will definitely be an edge to this game as there always is when our two clubs meet, it is a pre-season friendly and will go no way whatsoever to deciding who is "the best team in Ashton". You have done well recently, but success is relative to the league you are in and you have some way to go until you can call yourselves an established UniBond Premier Division club like we can. Getting promoted would be a good start and personally I hope you do it as it has been far too long since we played you in a real (league) derby game. If you have been taking notice of us you will have seen that we are also on an upward curve - Danny Johnson has taken us from relegation fodder to a top half of the table team in the last two seasons and is putting steps in place despite the difficult financial times to build us up as a whole "club".

Also please don't talk silly about the ground/groundshare etc when you have little knowledge of the facts. Ashton United have very little if not any interest in moving to the Tameside Stadium. Our ground is fit for purpose, holds the Grade C rating which gives it Premier Division status and therefore is perfectly fine for our needs. There are far worse grounds in our league (believe me, I've been to all of them) and we quite happilly hosted FC United when they brought over 1500 with them with no problems at all and plenty of room left in the ground. It needs constant work - all old grounds do (National Park was falling to pieces well before you left it if you remember) but very few clubs are in the situation you are with a new stadium. Personally I like your ground but I would never, ever want us to move there - it wouldn't be home.

I look forward to the game tomorrow and to welcoming you to our "dilapidated" ground on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 am 

A fair and balanced retort, to pacesetter, DT. As you say, Hurst Cross may not be the best, but, for you, it's "home". And tonight's game, like next Saturday's, will not go any way to proving anything regarding "the best team in Ashton".

No team is an island, entire of itself / every team is a piece of a division, a part of a league / never send to know for whom the bell of relegation tolls/ else it tolls for thee. (With apologies to John Donne ?1572-1631)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 pm 

Curzon 2-1 Ashton United (Second leg next Sat at Hurst Cross, ko 3pm)

No team is an island, entire of itself / every team is a piece of a division, a part of a league / never send to know for whom the bell of relegation tolls/ else it tolls for thee. (With apologies to John Donne ?1572-1631)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm 

Should have been 4-1 but for those open misses by Norton and Weston in the first half. Much closer game in the 2nd period. Great finish by James Ogoo to put us 1-0 up, fine equaliser from Pat McFadden soon after, and an 84th minute winner from Chris Curley to clinch it for Curzon. Very entertaining 2nd half, and looking forward to the delapidated Hurst Cross this coming Saturday! :D