Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Brandon United 5 Horden CW 4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:22 pm 

Foley 3 (1 pen), Dixon and Pritchard

Post subject: Re: Brandon United 5 Horden CW 4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:42 pm 

bee_you_eff_see wrote:
Foley 3 (1 pen), Dixon and Pritchard
Howay, Ian, give people a chance - not everyone knows that Foely is the nickname of Afolabi Shekoni!

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:47 pm 

As good as the game was and the result is, the talking points all belong to the referee. I thought we had plumbed the depths against Esh on Monday, but no, we had even worse today. It is no wonder that the FA are pushing the "Respect" campaign so avidly when there are referee's like this around. Players (and supporters) feel so thoroughly frustrated by decisions they make that all they have left is to shout at the man in black.

Incidents today: Hessy makes a challenge that warrants the ref taking him to one side and having a word at best or producing a yellow at the very worst. Their player completely over reacts and stamps on Hessy while he is on the ground. Hessy goes into feotal position to protect himself while other player continues to kick at him. Outcome of challenge: straight red for the Horden player. Outcome for Hessy? Another straight red!!! Un-ber-fuc*ing-lieveable. Absolutely shocking decision.

Penalty One: Horden player overruns the ball in the Brandon box, Adam ushers both ball and player away from danger. Ref gives penalty. No one can believe it.

Penalty Two: Horden player stronger in the box as he and Foley challenge for the ball and holds him off. Ref gives penalty. No one can believe it.

Brandon 1st goal: Strong suspiscion of off-side.

Horden 1st goal: Clearly handled on the line as he bundled it in.....

Horden 3rd goal: Most definitely off-side, played the ball forward after rounding the 'keeper and no defender betwen him and the goal.

Yellow card for Horden: Mark O'Dea commits foul on Horden No. 15-'puts his hands up' to it. As he walks away their No.15 swings at him from behind and clatters him to the ground. Ref misses it - but assistant doesn't. Only given a yellow.

There were countless other decisions that the ref made today that were just plainly bad. For both teams. Everyone is entitled to a bad day - and today was his. It just seems unfortunate that when the ref has his off-day it's when Brandon are playing!! :)

There is one other observation I must make and that is about one of the assistants. I'm sorry, but I know we have 'care in the community' and we must respect our senior citizens - but this guy was just too old and un-fit to be running the line. He couldn't even warm up properly for christs sake. While the other two did their pre-match jog up and down the pitch, he just "ran" around in a little circle on the pitch. He looked knackered before the game even started. He couldn't keep up with play during the game and gave some shocking offside decisions because of it.

Apart from that - great result for Brandon which sees us move up the table. Foley - no matter how much you protest - you will have to make do with a 'hat-trick' and not four. Paul Dixon got the 5th.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:02 pm 

Sounds like GBH on Hessy,is he ok. not a nasty streak in the lad. some thing needs adressing with the standard of some of these refs, been to the Durham game today and you wouldnt think there was a ref on the field out standing he was, cant remember his name but remember him when he played sunday football. well done on the win.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 pm 

Exactly kenny - not a nasty streak in him- sometimes you want to grab him by the shoulders and shake some 'nastyness' into him. But he's just not like that.

OK. I may look at the match through Brandon tinted spectacles, but I believe I am as impartial as I can possibly be.

Ref had a shocker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:21 pm 

well done boys great win for you's today...... :shock: :shock: mind that hessys a nasty one, not suprised he got sent off! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm 

It was his birthday yesterday getting on a bit now 21yrs old, didn't play this morn must have had a lot of sherbets last night

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:14 pm 

Super Hiro wrote:
As good as the game was and the result is, the talking points all belong to the referee. I thought we had plumbed the depths against Esh on Monday, but no, we had even worse today. It is no wonder that the FA are pushing the "Respect" campaign so avidly when there are referee's like this around. Players (and supporters) feel so thoroughly frustrated by decisions they make that all they have left is to shout at the man in black.

Incidents today: Hessy makes a challenge that warrants the ref taking him to one side and having a word at best or producing a yellow at the very worst. Their player completely over reacts and stamps on Hessy while he is on the ground. Hessy goes into feotal position to protect himself while other player continues to kick at him. Outcome of challenge: straight red for the Horden player. Outcome for Hessy? Another straight red!!! Un-ber-fuc*ing-lieveable. Absolutely shocking decision.

Penalty One: Horden player overruns the ball in the Brandon box, Adam ushers both ball and player away from danger. Ref gives penalty. No one can believe it.

Penalty Two: Horden player stronger in the box as he and Foley challenge for the ball and holds him off. Ref gives penalty. No one can believe it.

Brandon 1st goal: Strong suspiscion of off-side.

Horden 1st goal: Clearly handled on the line as he bundled it in.....

Horden 3rd goal: Most definitely off-side, played the ball forward after rounding the 'keeper and no defender betwen him and the goal.

Yellow card for Horden: Mark O'Dea commits foul on Horden No. 15-'puts his hands up' to it. As he walks away their No.15 swings at him from behind and clatters him to the ground. Ref misses it - but assistant doesn't. Only given a yellow.

There were countless other decisions that the ref made today that were just plainly bad. For both teams. Everyone is entitled to a bad day - and today was his. It just seems unfortunate that when the ref has his off-day it's when Brandon are playing!! :)

There is one other observation I must make and that is about one of the assistants. I'm sorry, but I know we have 'care in the community' and we must respect our senior citizens - but this guy was just too old and un-fit to be running the line. He couldn't even warm up properly for christs sake. While the other two did their pre-match jog up and down the pitch, he just "ran" around in a little circle on the pitch. He looked knackered before the game even started. He couldn't keep up with play during the game and gave some shocking offside decisions because of it.

Apart from that - great result for Brandon which sees us move up the table. Foley - no matter how much you protest - you will have to make do with a 'hat-trick' and not four. Paul Dixon got the 5th.

You know he may well be a mediocre referee but ref´s are in short supply and the standard reflects where you lie in the supply chain.
If anyone really does think they could do better, head off to Durham FA, do the course and then you will see, you will probably be a flop, believe me I was a player who gave ref´s stick week in week out, try it and see but in the meantime put up and shut up because you have the standard that matches the football played. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:36 pm 

getting a bit bored of this if we didnt have refs malarky, yes they get a hard time but if everybody else in a ground can see a blatant decision why cant refs? i make mistakes when i play, i get bollocked, refs make howlers what happens? everyones jumps on the respect bandwagon!!! :twisted:
Had a very good ref yday, paolo will tell you his name, very good craic, on the othe hand, an absolute idiot this morning, sure he sneaked in to my engagement do last night.... rubbish,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:21 pm 

marron04 wrote:
Had a very good ref yday,
Mr. S. D. Rowntree according to the programme. All three officials came from Scarborough. I agree about the ref but there were some odd decisions from the assistants, relating to offside, given or not!

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:33 am 
match report online at http://www.brandonunited.co.uk/index.php?id=238

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:12 pm 

I know what you're saying about the shortage of ref's and assistants - and you're right, without them there would be no game.

I'm not even saying I could do a better job of it than them - I personally wouldn't put up with the crap they put themselves through.

The decisions that can turn games are the ones that EVERYBODY in the ground sees except the ref or the ones that the ref 'sees' and NOBODY else does.

Anyway - game over. respect to all the men (and women?) in black.