It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 1048
Birtley Town 2-0 Newcastle University

Very much deserved 2-0 win to land the League Cup last night. Never looked like losing the game from start to finish. Defended superbly when called on, dominant midfield and tireless forward line.
Well done to players and management on winning the League Cup.
Report and Videos to follow. :D :D

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/birtleyto ... /0-4011033

_________________
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/birtleytownfc
C'mon the hoops....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Newcastle
A really good win for us. Tactically we got it spot on, had a bit of luck at the right time, and grafted together as a team for 101 minutes!

Most people had written us off and fully expected the Uni to beat us, I don't think there was many outside our dressing room believed we could do it but we stuck together and got the job done. Can't have been the prettiest of games to watch but winning is everything in a final and that's what we did. Seemed a decent crowd too, anyone know if it was formally announced?

Nice for the players to give something back to the committee for all the hard work they do for us behind the scenes. As players we were not consistent enough at crunch time to win the league and secure promotion so this is the next best thing, especially for the club given the committee rightly feel aggrieved by the ground issues surrounding the Uni's promotion. Nothing we can do about that though, it's really our own fault for not winning the league, so we'll rest up and get ready to go again for promotion next season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Posts: 673
Chinny wrote:
A really good win for us. Tactically we got it spot on, had a bit of luck at the right time, and grafted together as a team for 101 minutes!

Most people had written us off and fully expected the Uni to beat us, I don't think there was many outside our dressing room believed we could do it but we stuck together and got the job done. Can't have been the prettiest of games to watch but winning is everything in a final and that's what we did. Seemed a decent crowd too, anyone know if it was formally announced?

Nice for the players to give something back to the committee for all the hard work they do for us behind the scenes. As players we were not consistent enough at crunch time to win the league and secure promotion so this is the next best thing, especially for the club given the committee rightly feel aggrieved by the ground issues surrounding the Uni's promotion. Nothing we can do about that though, it's really our own fault for not winning the league, so we'll rest up and get ready to go again for promotion next season.


Have the Uni been accepted Chinny at the new ground defo?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Newcastle
We don't know is the honest answer, it should become clear this week as the FA sort out the levels above first of all. From some noises I have heard, and small bit's I've read, I think the NL / FA will let them get away with them and promote them. However, from what I understand of the situation, I don't understand how they can be allowed to qualify for promotion, but clearly I don't know the fully story either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Posts: 673
Chinny wrote:
We don't know is the honest answer, it should become clear this week as the FA sort out the levels above first of all. From some noises I have heard, and small bit's I've read, I think the NL / FA will let them get away with them and promote them. However, from what I understand of the situation, I don't understand how they can be allowed to qualify for promotion, but clearly I don't know the fully story either.



Its going to be interesting to see what decision is made.

The Uni have won the league by 8 points and when they have submitted the request, they have put down Prudhoe which has passed, so I am not sure how they don't qualify mate? unless I am not aware of something. I don't know the ins and outs so apologies if I am missing something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Newcastle
I might be wrong then, my understanding was that the application was under a different ground, and that the ground was changed at the last minute for inspection - I don't know whether or not that is allowed.

Whilst the ground may have had a basic pass at the 31 March, I don't understand how they can have been able to evidence security of tenure when Druids Park only fell through a few days before the 31 March deadline. If they can, and did, then I'm sure they'll be promoted no issues, but I just can't understand how they would have managed that sort of commercial agreement in such a short space of time.

As I said above, us as players don't deserve to be promoted - no issues there, but if they haven't followed the full process it's a kick in the teeth for all the committee and volunteers who've spent a lot of time and money to improve the ground to meet all relevant criteria and deadlines. If they did do everything right, then no one can complain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Posts: 673
Hopefully the FA can resolve ASAP then to sort out.

Both sides have had good seasons and I think the Uni could potentially do very well in NL2. Only the Uni know what they submitted/didn't submit but if they have now submitted Prudeoe and it has passed, and they have won the league, then good luck to them I say.

Like we say, I suppose only the FA know.

Is there no chance of 2 maybe going up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Newcastle
Agree they will do well, they have a very physically able team, as well as technically good, which I think is important in NL2. Don't know if they will lose any / many players who finish their course this year though?

Yes hopefully it will all become clear in the next week or so and we can go back to having nothing to talk about for a month or two.

No hope of 2 going up, the NL have always reprieved relegation spaces instead of promoting additional teams. Pretty sure their rules only allow for one from each feeder league too, can't think of when it's happened in the past either so not an option as far as I'm aware


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 1048
The Uni application was changed on the 28th march from Druids Park after they couldn't agree a deal. They then applied to move the application from Druids to Kimberly Park. The application process clearly states that applications have to be submitted by December 31st . This was not the case with them. I agree it would be a bit of a sickener if they were refused because the application but what about the clubs that have done everything correctly , spent a hell of a lot of time and money to attain the required grading and met all the deadlines as requested. Kimberly Park passed the minimum requirements so had work to do on the 31st of March.

We had to extend our Hard stand by 10 cm which we did by the 31st of March as we were told this was the date of the inspection.

I understand where you are coming from Dean but we have gone about everything in the correct way so do feel we have a point. I am sure a lot of clubs would feel the same in this position. It could and probably will open the floodgates allowing anyone to go up to step 6 via the ground share route.
We will see what happens tomorrow when the Leagues Committee sit in London to make a decision then decide what to do then.

_________________
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/birtleytownfc
C'mon the hoops....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Posts: 673
bigcbeat wrote:
The Uni application was changed on the 28th march from Druids Park after they couldn't agree a deal. They then applied to move the application from Druids to Kimberly Park. The application process clearly states that applications have to be submitted by December 31st . This was not the case with them. I agree it would be a bit of a sickener if they were refused because the application but what about the clubs that have done everything correctly , spent a hell of a lot of time and money to attain the required grading and met all the deadlines as requested. Kimberly Park passed the minimum requirements so had work to do on the 31st of March.

We had to extend our Hard stand by 10 cm which we did by the 31st of March as we were told this was the date of the inspection.

I understand where you are coming from Dean but we have gone about everything in the correct way so do feel we have a point. I am sure a lot of clubs would feel the same in this position. It could and probably will open the floodgates allowing anyone to go up to step 6 via the ground share route.
We will see what happens tomorrow when the Leagues Committee sit in London to make a decision then decide what to do then.



It isn't aground share though as they are sole tenants aren't they?

Why did you have so much work to do when you were only in the NL a few years ago Colin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 1048
Because the previous committee let the ground lapse to a condition where we wouldn’t have past the grading . The year we were relagated we were told the club had to put in 3 new toilets , Done Club house had to be usable , done drains water and electricity had to be put into the clubhouse . Floodlights were half off . You have only seen the way it is now . 25k plus spent over last 18 months not counting 4.5 k on a new roof for clubhouse .
Hope that answers your question Dean

_________________
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/birtleytownfc
C'mon the hoops....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:45 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: By The Seaside
I don't know how on your application for promotion on 31st December that you will have put the details of the sole tenancy of a ground by 31st March, when there is already a team playing there with full rights of sole use already. The opportunity for the tenancy at Prudhoe only came about when Prudhoe Town resigned from the Wearside League at the beginning of March. Newcastle University have shopped around for grounds between 31st December and 31st March which to me is unfair and very opportunist. I have nothing against Newcastle University personally, it's just I find how they have gone about this very unsporting. I also believe that it should not be permitted.

_________________
And you thought only Lazarus raised from the dead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 1048
the little fella wrote:
I don't know how on your application for promotion on 31st December that you will have put the details of the sole tenancy of a ground by 31st March, when there is already a team playing there with full rights of sole use already. The opportunity for the tenancy at Prudhoe only came about when Prudhoe Town resigned from the Wearside League at the beginning of March. Newcastle University have shopped around for grounds between 31st December and 31st March which to me is unfair and very opportunist. I have nothing against Newcastle University personally, it's just I find how they have gone about this very unsporting. I also believe that it should not be permitted.


A lot of people feel the same and rightly so. There is of course some who think otherwise, its all about opinions so they say.

_________________
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/birtleytownfc
C'mon the hoops....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm
Posts: 673
See Birtley have been promoted and the Uni knocked back.

Interesting.

Good luck to Birtley anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: George Dobbins League Cup Final 15/05/18
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:45 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: By The Seaside
footyfan1 wrote:
See Birtley have been promoted and the Uni knocked back.

Interesting.

Good luck to Birtley anyway.

Common sense has prevailed. It confirms you cannot shop around after 31st December. We have clarity. Chuffed for Birtley.

_________________
And you thought only Lazarus raised from the dead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group