It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Evening Gazette - I wouldn't wipe my bum with it!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:04 am 

Got the papers yesterday and how's this for accurate journalism :lol:

Northern Echo - "Billingham Synthonia won the 1000th league game in their Northern League history when they beat Ryton 6-0 at Central Avenue last night"

Top drawer and 10 out of 10

Evening Gazette - "Billingham Synthonia celebrated their 100th Northern League game with a stylish six of the best"

1 out of 10 for the use of the word "STYLISH" but hello and earth calling someone how doesn't care about Bernie's ramblings :roll: Real journalism is about accuracy of information and the Gazette have just removed all doubt for me

Still must grumble :twisted: but never again will I waste 45p on a paper that has a sports editor that earlier in the week had the Boro playing at Coventry tomorrow and not Hull at home :roll:

Well time to get off the soapbox and get some work done :lol:

"Passion overcomes logic" - James Beattie's words of wisdom before the Leag Cup win over Middlesbrough

Post subject: Re: The Evening Gazette - I wouldn't wipe my bum with it!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:01 pm 

Just in the sense of fairness, the lass at work has bought today's Gazette and low and behold Synners get a corking rightup with a decent picture too boot :shock: :lol:

Nice to see for once and long overdue but Ray Simpson is the man for me and in Ray, I trust :wink:

Mine's a Guinness Ray btw :P

"Passion overcomes logic" - James Beattie's words of wisdom before the Leag Cup win over Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:03 am 

yep, just read the online version (i stopped buying the paper version when they stopped reporting fully on the Northern League - another debate, another time maybe). And I stopped reading the online version when anything Northern League became second hand info and innacurate when a simple call to any of the Teesside Northern League Club's press officers would have told the facts.

Credit where credit is due though ... Good write up by Mr Watson .. oops sorry I mean Mr Vickers

For those that havn't read ... http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/north-east ... -27721552/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:14 pm 
well everytime i get the HARTLEPOOL MAIL its full of stuff from blackhall and peterlee and the other dodgey area"s. if you are lucky you get a couple of pages with hartlepool stuff.and since there stopped the football mail years ago thats the worsed think the hartlepool mail has done, couldnt wait for sat"s when i was a kid going round to papershop waiting for the footy mail then a good read on a sat night. even as i got older i couldnt wait for it but like everything else that went tits up and now no more, just have to wait and get the sunderland sports paper which is not a bad paper but like all papers full of advert"s which i know is needed to help pay for the paper.and ive had the said evening gazette which is not the best paper but tthen again not the worse one.and you know the old saying today news is tomorrow chip paper.

Post subject: Re: Prediction League 10/11 - Updated Jarrow Roofing (a)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:47 pm 

Strangely enough the Peterlee Mail used to have about 90% of it's content filled with Hartlepool news. That's probably why it no longer exists. The free Peterlee Star is just as bad. A few years back it used to carry news from Washington F.C. but there was nothing at all from Peterlee, Horden, Easington e.t.c. :roll:

P.S. Thanks for calling the place where I live a dodgy area kaitlyn d g. :razz:

Valley Parade, Bradford City (18/10/14)

My New Grounds Log -

http://smid100fgc.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... ewart.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am 

paolo wrote:
yep, just read the online version (i stopped buying the paper version when they stopped reporting fully on the Northern League - another debate, another time maybe). And I stopped reading the online version when anything Northern League became second hand info and innacurate when a simple call to any of the Teesside Northern League Club's press officers would have told the facts.

Credit where credit is due though ... Good write up by Mr Watson .. oops sorry I mean Mr Vickers

For those that havn't read ... http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/north-east ... -27721552/

That is what gets me the most - 2nd hand info :x Just seems the info reported is done so by trailing everyone's websites as well as the NL Boards when a simple call to a club press officer wouldn't take anytime at all :roll:

Did find some old sports gazette's last summer from 1999/2000 and the way Mr Vickers reported the Northern League then was superb. Thoughtful, insightful and time taken to produce something he was proud of. Ok his outlook has changed to get on board with the Boro and although the Gazette still document the Northern League it has taken a back burner to give the Boro more space.

It's there post einhoven paper so I don't care but I do agree with Paolo that Chopper came across superbly on Friday - Elementary my dear Watson and sadly Mr Vickers isn't Sherlock Holmes :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 pm 

To be fair to Anthony Vickers I think his hands are tied on a better Northern League round up. The powers that be at the Gazette have allegedly cut corners and decided to put all their eggs in one basket and give Boro all available sports space with Northern League, Teesside League etc given space only when there is space. Fair do's I suppose as Boro are the main team that people want to read about on Teesside, but I bet alot of people, as I have, gave up on the paper once they went down this route. Shame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am 

Yeah it is a shame really and agree the paper itself will have nailed the space for the Boro. Given the recent success of several local Northern league teams it is truly a shame more space cannot be found because there is an opportunity that is being missed :cry:

Only my opinion though and I won't go back on not buying the rag because if that was Synners 100th league game then we've all got some cracking personal attendance records :lol:

Last I'll say on the subject is keep up the good work Ray :wink: