It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Jimmy mcmillan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm 

It is with deepest sympathy to announce the sad news that Jimmy McMillan, the only man ever to win four FA Amateur Cup winner’s medals, has died.

All were with Crook Town, the first in the twice replayed final against Bishop Auckland in 1954, watched by a total of 192,000 people, the others in 1959, 1962 and 1964. The photograph shows Jimmy, on the extreme right, before the 3-2 Wembley win against Barnet in 1969.

Though he didn’t get a game, he was also in the Willington squad which met (and beat) the Bishops in the 1950 final. “In today’s terms I’d have been about No 16,” Jimmy once said.

He was an outside left, scored 94 goals in 505 appearances for Crook but won just one England cap – against France in Bayonne in 1959.

Jimmy was born in Kibblesworth, near Gateshead, played for Newcastle United Juniors – the N’s – and was offered full-time terms after scoring seven in a game. He turned them down, later declining similar offers from Sunderland and Chelsea, in order to concentrate on his planning officer qualifications.

Post subject: Re: Jimmy mcmillan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:55 pm 

That is so sad Jeff, when we played Bury Town in the quarter final of the Vase a few years ago it was my privilege to go to Jimmys home to pick him up and bring him to the game.
He got all his medals out for me including the 4 Amateur Cup winning medals. I took the photo of the medals that went in the book.
He was a fantastic player and an amazing man, a true gentleman, I’m honoured to have known the man. I saw him a couple of years ago in the clubhouse when the Amateur Cup was on display, I’ve got to admit he didn’t look to well.
A very sad day.....

http://www.crooktownfc.co.uk

CROOK TOWN 12 BISHOP HORSELAND 1.

C.T.C.

"IF TETLEY PUT THE T IN TEA, WHO PUT THE C*** IN SCUNTHORPE?"