It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: v Ashton
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:38 pm 

That was pretty poor fare today from the Dabbers. I feel the team looks OK on paper but were outplayed by an ordinary Ashton side. There doesn’t seem to be any shape or plan, with Bailey and Jones either overhitting long balls, or making Burns fight for headers he was never going to win. The one or two he did manage to flick on, Winslade was nowhere to be seen. I don’t know what position Winslade was supposed to be playing – I’m trying to recall a more anonymous performance and I can’t help thinking we would have been better served by starting with any midfielder – Blake perhaps, because he brings admirable energy but lacks quaity. It shouldn’t be the centre halves’ job to try and pass the ball, but once Mark Jones went off they had no option. Pepper lost confidence after gifting Ashton their second goal, and Howard seemed to be playing in a ‘non-position’, as was Harrop. I don’t think these three won a single tackle between them.
The 4-3-3 in the second half made more sense when players had set positions and Sheehan brought some discipline to the midfield, and Kosylo finally offered a threat from the wings. Only Sheehan and White can emerge from this shambles with any real credit. Unless they improve dramatically I fear it could be a long season for the Dabbers.

Post subject: Re: v Ashton
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 pm 

Yeah Saturday was pretty poor fare - tbf of the games I've seen the only other time we've been so poor was against Grantham at home, we're usually competitive even in the games we've lost.

From what I can gather, last night at Grantham wasn't good either, although that's probably not surprising given the horrendous injury list we have.

Regarding the forwards, I couldn't disagree more regarding Winslade - I thought he put a shift in and did OK considering he's been played out of position. I think he, (and Harrop), often looked out of position as they were attempting to cover both the central and wide areas, and ended up doing neither.

I'd definitely play him up front instead of Burns. His performances since he returned have been patchy, and against Ashton his work rate, (not for the first time), was appalling. Agreed, the service to him was poor, but he didn't even challenge for the ball, didn't chase defenders down and several times chose to shoot when other players were better placed. He doesn't suit playing as the '1' in a 4-2-3-1 formation, and deserves dropping for his attitude alone.

As for it being a long season, lets hope not! Surely the injury problems will abate soon and we can get a bit of momentum. It seems like it's going to be a close league with a large 'mid-table', three or four wins can send you up several places.