It is currently Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Matlock thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:19 pm 

Thought I'd put my thoughts down on the game.

We started off like a house on fire, the first 5 minutes we were all over them, chances were flashing across the goalmouth but we couldn't convert any of them - the delivery from the corners was superb.

Matlock then clawed themselves back into the game and the became more of a even contest.

Their first goal came after 17 minutes, we failed to deal with a corner and the the ball was bundled over the line from close range.

We kept creating chances, but Luke Simpson in goals also made a couple of decent saves, including a great 1 on 1 stop.

We got our deserved equalizer just before half time when Harry Clayton chested down a lofted ball and smashed his shot into the roof of the net, giving the keeper no chance with a well taken goal.

Second half was again an evenly matched affair, but Im sure the lads will be disappointed with the way the winner was conceded. A free kick, wide on the left a good 30 yards out was lofted into the box, with the forwards, defenders and keeper all miss judging the flight of the ball it drifted in at the back post, the surprise on the scorers face was matched by the disappointment on our faces.

We kept battling away and we had 2 good chances at the death to snatch a point, firstly Armadi headed wide at the back post following a great cross from Carden and the soon after Alex Frost had a cross/shot that missed all the on rushing forwards and defenders and drifted agonizingly wide at the back post.

That's 2 matches we've lost where we could easily have got something out of them.
It's still early days and as Danny Johnson said it will take 5 or 6 games for the team to settle now that he has decided on his squad.

I must mention the fans support at Matlock, we took a decent number 40/50 by my estimate and gave the team great support from 1st to 90th minute. I hope the players acknowledge the support we gave them yesterday.

Other positives - Mark Jones has been quality in each game, he has got superb stamina and no shortage of skill.
Harrop has shown glimpses of his immense skills.
Terry Smith should be in goals shortly.

Onwards and upwards and hopefully 3 points against Witton on Monday.

Proud To Be A Dabber