It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Curzon v Alfreton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 am 

2-2, a fair result at the end of the day.

I thought the first half was okay but it faded in the final 45 minutes but, as managers often say, results don't count, it's about getting in some much needed match practice. That of course fine as far as it goes, but performances are an indicator too.

There must have been disappointment with the attendance though. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Curzon v Alfreton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 am 

Timpsons Bar wrote:
2-2, a fair result at the end of the day.
I thought the first half was okay but it faded in the final 45 minutes

I agree, but if they'd announced at half-time that there would be wholesale changes in the second half, the reason for the fading, I wouldn't have bothered staying. Incidentally, can we hope that Curzon's disciplinary record will improve in the coming season? Having one of our players taken off at the request of the ref doesn't augur well for the new campaign.

No team is an island, entire of itself / every team is a piece of a division, a part of a league / never send to know for whom the bell of relegation tolls/ else it tolls for thee. (With apologies to John Donne ?1572-1631)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am 

A fair result , classic game of 2 halves.
the ref`s request that Curley leave the pitch was a bit harsh IMO .....it takes 2 to tango so why not their player as well ?
pre-season games are difficult for players.....how much do you put in ? impress the manager but risk injury?
personally I have been impressed with most of the performances & attitude so far, due I think to the threat from the new arrivals & that must be a good thing. If we are serious about challenging for promotion, and I believe we are, then you need a good SQUAD & there lies the problem for every team in this league once you have a settled 11 how do you keep the bench happy? every player at this level wants to play every week

As for the attendance how many of us would have gone to Alfreton for a friendly on a tues night ?
as for HOME support mid week match attendances are always down compared to a saturday so I wasnt surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 am 

mrbloosky wrote:
the ref`s request that Curley leave the pitch was a bit harsh IMO .....it takes 2 to tango so why not their player as well ?

It does take two to tango, but it depends who steps on who's toes first, and how hard! :roll:

If you've got a pre-season game then, imho, you give your best, and nothing less. That's the only way you get match fit, show you're worth a starting place and prove you wish to play for the club, and afterall, isn't that why we went last night and paid our money, to see a competitive game?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

Timpsons Bar wrote:
mrbloosky wrote:

It does take two to tango, but it depends who steps on who's toes first, and how hard! :roll:

If you've got a pre-season game then, imho, you give your best, and nothing less. That's the only way you get match fit, show you're worth a starting place and prove you wish to play for the club, and afterall, isn't that why we went last night and paid our money, to see a competitive game?

Spot on.......but it seemed to me the request was more to do with the afters ?
competitive game ? yes ideally but just as important is getting used to tactics & formations ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm 

mrbloosky wrote:
Timpsons Bar wrote:
mrbloosky wrote:

Spot on.......but it seemed to me the request was more to do with the afters ?
competitive game ? yes ideally but just as important is getting used to tactics & formations ?

Agreed! :wink: