It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shafted again
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 pm 

Bambi_ChesterFC wrote:
DL5 wrote:
Yes, we're used to it though, actually we're a different animal now so the players will just be local part timers so maybe not.

Damn, the reality of where we end up will be hard to comprehend, fitting training in around Fred the factory worker's shifts. No disrespect to the teams that do this year in year out but a massive culture shift for us dropping to part time

You get used to it, very quickly. Actually I think some of us (myself included) have been a bit guilty of forgetting sometimes that these lads do have a day job!!

Having watched many a Chester player masquerade as full time 'professionals' for about 20 years I was quick to appreciate how talented some of the part time lads are in the NPL.

As for the culture shift, well, home games for us these last two years have been pretty much the same. Except now there's more people in the crowd and the football is better. Yes, away days did seem a bit different at first but overall highly enjoyable - as our large away followings suggest. Use of social clubs, friendly locals (such as NLZ's own Daz M :lol: ) and clubs determined to make an occasion of your visit.

Sound like a broken record here but you'll honestly have a great time.

Thanks, nice comments there, you've been where we are and come back much stronger, let's hope we can do the same, I am looking forward to getting back to basics in a way but it's mixed feelings for me as you probably went through.

I've no doubt some of the players at this level are good enough to play higher up the pyramid but they've got the best of both worlds in a sense, a full time wage and a couple of hundred a week football money, why risk that for the gamble of being a full time pro on less money in some cases.

I hope we can get a bit of momentum and the crowds should be decent, Shildon is very close to me so I should be able to enjoy a few jars too which I didn't do at the arena as I always drove. :D

Darlington Football Club, since 1883

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:50 pm 

DL5 wrote:
Thanks, nice comments there, you've been where we are and come back much stronger, let's hope we can do the same, I am looking forward to getting back to basics in a way but it's mixed feelings for me as you probably went through.

Yeah on the whole we were just genuinely pleased to have a football club to support, after losing Chester City you appreciated matchdays more than before.

I'd only ever watched Chester play in (what is now) League One, Two & BSP. I had no knowledge of the NPL game and I won't lie, our first couple of league away days were a bit different to what I was used to - Warrington and Wakefield. It quickly became clear that this was no bad thing however and by fixtures like Bamber Bridge & Salford we found ourselves counting down the days to each match.

I always regarded myself as a 'grassroots' supporter but these last few years have introduced me to a side of football I was completely unaware of. Some may argue that's a 'typically' arrogant thing to say but that's just how it is. Oh, and you soon get used to not hearing your results read out by James Alexander Gordon on 5 Live's Sports Report :lol:

NPL 1 Champions 2010/11
NPL Premier Champions 2011/12
Conference North Champions 2012/13

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm 

Bambi_ChesterFC wrote:
DL5 wrote:

Yeah on the whole we were just genuinely pleased to have a football club to support, after losing Chester City you appreciated matchdays more than before.

I'd only ever watched Chester play in (what is now) League One, Two & BSP. I had no knowledge of the NPL game and I won't lie, our first couple of league away days were a bit different to what I was used to - Warrington and Wakefield. It quickly became clear that this was no bad thing however and by fixtures like Bamber Bridge & Salford we found ourselves counting down the days to each match.

I always regarded myself as a 'grassroots' supporter but these last few years have introduced me to a side of football I was completely unaware of. Some may argue that's a 'typically' arrogant thing to say but that's just how it is. Oh, and you soon get used to not hearing your results read out by James Alexander Gordon on 5 Live's Sports Report :lol:

First and foremost we are happy to have a club to follow, however we were always going to have one, the one we have is no better than a phoenix in reality but we're here and we'll just get on with it, what else can we do? It's going to be strange and we're going to visit some places with a bit of character and soul and no doubt come up against some real hard b'stads on the pitch, but it should be fun.

I'd like to think we can start doing things the right way ie live within our means, we'll no doubt be amongst if not have the biggest budget due to a good following but that's no guarantee of success.

I wonder if our local radio will even cover the games anymore, doubtful.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm 

Did you come to Mossley AFC when we played you in the FA Cup last season DLS? That was a good day, wel apart from the result from our point of view. The Darlington fans seemed a very decent bunch to me though.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 pm 

Daz M wrote:
Did you come to Mossley AFC when we played you in the FA Cup last season DLS? That was a good day, wel apart from the result from our point of view. The Darlington fans seemed a very decent bunch to me though.

No, I don't have many free Saturdays so just tend to do Saturday home matches if I'm off and Tuesday nights, things may change a bit next season though

PS It's DL5, not DLS :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 pm 

DL5 wrote:
Daz M wrote:

No, I don't have many free Saturdays so just tend to do Saturday home matches if I'm off and Tuesday nights, things may change a bit next season though

PS It's DL5, not DLS :wink:

Oh well if you do happen to end up in our division you and your fellow Darlington supporters will be made most welcome at Seel Park again. Oh and sorry DL5. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 pm 

Daz M wrote:

Oh well if you do happen to end up in our division you and your fellow Darlington supporters will be made most welcome at Seel Park again. Oh and sorry DL5. :wink:

I look forward to it, the latest is we may be destined for the Northern league though :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:57 pm 

DL5 wrote:
Daz M wrote:

I look forward to it, the latest is we may be destined for the Northern league though :roll:

Evostik Prem is most likely, as you say would expect to be favorites and we should do well......but this is Darlo!!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 am 

Quakerz wrote:

Evostik Prem is most likely, as you say would expect to be favorites and we should do well......but this is Darlo!!

No it's not, Step 5 (Northern league 1) is the most likely at the moment, stop trolling, you made your intention clear by posing as someone else from the start.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

I am not following this 'post as someone else' thing?

Quakerz is hardly an imaginative nickname for a Darlington fan, its like a Man Utd fan complaining because someone grabbed 'Red Devil' first or something.
There is obviously some sort of clique that I am not part of, and thats fine, but people are going to need to pull together to make this thing work, and complaining about an internet user name is about as 'small picture' as you can get.

And it IS looking liek Evostik prem from what I understand!!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 pm 

Quakerz wrote:

Quakerz is hardly an imaginative nickname for a Darlington fan, its like a Man Utd fan complaining because someone grabbed 'Red Devil' first or something.
There is obviously some sort of clique that I am not part of, and thats fine, but people are going to need to pull together to make this thing work, and complaining about an internet user name is about as 'small picture' as you can get.

Then you understand very little.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:59 pm 

Hilly_DFC wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Then you understand very little.

Well only time will tell, but fingers crossed, I am a natural optimist!--you have to be following darlo ! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 am 

Bambi_ChesterFC wrote:
DL5 wrote:
Yes, we're used to it though, actually we're a different animal now so the players will just be local part timers so maybe not.

Damn, the reality of where we end up will be hard to comprehend, fitting training in around Fred the factory worker's shifts. No disrespect to the teams that do this year in year out but a massive culture shift for us dropping to part time

You get used to it, very quickly. Actually I think some of us (myself included) have been a bit guilty of forgetting sometimes that these lads do have a day job!!

Having watched many a Chester player masquerade as full time 'professionals' for about 20 years I was quick to appreciate how talented some of the part time lads are in the NPL.

As for the culture shift, well, home games for us these last two years have been pretty much the same. Except now there's more people in the crowd and the football is better. Yes, away days did seem a bit different at first but overall highly enjoyable - as our large away followings suggest. Use of social clubs, friendly locals (such as NLZ's own Daz M :lol: ) and clubs determined to make an occasion of your visit.

Sound like a broken record here but you'll honestly have a great time.

Bambi.... that is a great outline of the game at this level..... a lot of new experiences coming your way. Embrace them and you will enjoy your time here so much better. Should it happen then I'll be very pleased to welcome you all. GOOD LUCK :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm 

V true Bambi, v good players at this level who still work during the week. And certainly not an easy league.