It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ossett Teams To Merge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm 

We can confirm that both Ossett Town AFC and Ossett Albion FC have agreed outline terms on a merger of the two clubs subject to FA and league approval. Discussions are at an advanced stage. This course of action does not affect either clubs junior programmes which will remain the same. We have had great support from the town as a whole so far and we will update everyone as soon as there are any further developments.

At this time we would like to thank everyone behind the scenes at both clubs for their cooperation and input at this exciting time.

(Taken From http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/ossettalb ... 75746.html)

DONT LOSE THE FAITH!!!!!

1st Team - NL North
#CoxhoeFanChris
#EveshamFanChris

Post subject: Re: Ossett Teams To Merge
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm 

as someone in China once said "may you live in interesting times" :mrgreen:

the idea of a new club may have plenty of support from the people in Ossett, but if it involves selling Ingfield to a supermarket, the people of Ossett might not be so supportive.

As Mr Asquith once said "we'll just have to wait and see" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:00 pm 

Makes sense in a way but it's a shame in my opinion, maybe am just a traditionalist?

Plus when there is business and land etc involved it's a minefield seems there are lots of its,buts, and loose ends to tie up, maybe announced a little prematurely??

Other thing to consider is with Albion heavily involved in a relegation scrap what would the position be if they went down? It used to be that in any merger the new club took the place of the lowest ranked of the 2 sides??

That then brings up a further question, the new joint club already has a chief executive so if you were them would you not concentrate resources into albions survival bid? With town already safe??? And what would the other clubs and the FA think?? Interesting times ahead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm 

I'm not sure exactly why now is the time for the merger, we always suspected it would happen one day, during my time on the committee at Ossett Town way back when, it was talked about but there were never any formal negotiations. We know it was talked about in the 1960's, years later some Albion people were still bad mouthing our club President John Carter for being the biggest obstacle to the merger. The last couple of years have been quite good for Ossett Town, reaching play offs and FA cup 4th qualifying round, but Grant Black's departure a few weeks after the Solihull game was never explained and at the time I wondered if he had asked for the money from the Solihull game to get new players and was turned down. Of course there might be a completely different reason for Grant Black's departure.

Of course, at both clubs there are new, younger people in charge. Some of the old dinosaurs at both clubs have now moved on (or shuffled off this mortal whatever), the old animosity has probably dwindled to a point that the majority at both clubs (albeit perhaps reluctantly) now realise a merger probably is the best option as things stand.

I think Ossett United will start next season in NPL Division 1 North, even if Albion do get relegated. The reason I think this is that (without doing the research and going through all my old Non League Directories), the new club does appear to take the place of the higher placed of the two clubs. The example I am thinking of is Hinckley United, who when they started, took the place of Hinckley Town in the Southern League rather than Hinckley Athletic who were in (I think) the Midland Combination. Also when Rushden & Diamonds were formed, they took the place of Rushden Town in the Southern League, rather than Irthlingborough Diamonds in the United Counties League. Rushden is probably not the best example to use given they had Doc Marten money behind them. If these examples are wrong I apologise, I am working from memory here.