It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Teams to watch out for
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:56 am 
Site Admin

spiritof74 wrote:
As for forgetting where we came/come from, 93 or 94 years tomorrow we beat Manchester United 1-0. Up the Mariners. best non league team in the north east.

We? Which version of South Shields was that? Unfortunately, the history of football in South Shields has seen much heartache, takeovers and changes since those days.

Up the Adelaide :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:05 pm 

AllyGB wrote:
spiritof74 wrote:
As for forgetting where we came/come from, 93 or 94 years tomorrow we beat Manchester United 1-0. Up the Mariners. best non league team in the north east.

We? Which version of South Shields was that? Unfortunately, the history of football in South Shields has seen much heartache, takeovers and changes since those days.

Pedantry!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 pm 

AllyGB wrote:
spiritof74 wrote:

My apologies-it was 95 years. Any version you wish, they are all intertwined. It's history has seen a lot of "fairly recent heartache," but unlike many people they have moved on and find themselves where they are today. Another good 4:1 win today, but a slight thing that bothers me is that they always seem to regularly give a goal away. No problems with attacking options, but defence may need tightening up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:16 pm 

Played 12 games only conceded more than 1 goal once and have 5 clean sheets and you think there is a problem with the defence :?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 am 

Not a massive problem with the defence, but I was taking in the pre season friendlies as well into account. Alright they don't count for points, but good for analysis. 19 goals against in 18 games. Yes 43 scored, but you tend to find top teams don't average a goal against overall. In 42 league games last season we conceded 35 goals. We are a good team going forward, but I think we have been caught out a few times on the break. It's great to see the defenders/midfield scoring goals, but it shows that going forward, we can, and are caught out at the back. I think opposition managers could pick up on that. Also it's not just the goals conceded, it's the chances conceded.
I watched the highlights on Youtube (couldn't make the game), and we gave Clitheroe plenty of chances.
We are a good team, but I would just like to see us a bit tighter at the back. I want us going forward to promotion without "butterflies" in the stomach. Age old debate, but i think a good team starts with a strong defence.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 am 

After 9 league games last season South Shields had conceded 12 goals, at the same point this season they have conceded 9 goals, by your calculations Shields were not a good side last season with a poor defence or perhaps it's just a bit early to make predictions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am 

I think you will find it was 13 goals conceded after 9 games last season, then there is also the 3 they conceded in the first game (FA Cup at Marske). I haven't said anything about Shields being a bad side defensively last season. There seasons achievements were magnificent. All I am saying is the age old argument, what comes first, defence or attack. I subscribe to the theory that you don't lose games if you don't concede. Yes it is an argument with differing points of view. With only 3 outfield players selected this season having not scored, how do we interpret that? Excellent, but it shows defenders are pushing up a lot. I just don't want to see a potentially good season blow up. Teams already see Shields as a threat and a lot of them sit back and let them come on, but as we know that can lead to the fast counter attack, which has happened a bit this season.
Overall, I don't think Shields are a bad defensive side this season, it's just something I feel we should be wary of. Remember the Colwyn Bay result!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:37 pm 

To be honest last season started shakily for 2-3 weeks then it all came together. I think everyone (managers players etc by their after match comments) sees that overall, even given the new league, the team isn't sparking quite as it can yet but is still impressive to say the least, but we need to get the flow back, chances need to be taken as well, lots of great play has resulted in narrow misses; and getting caught out very early is no help and givens the players more pressure than they need. If we take the Darlo game and some of last season's like North Shields etc we can see what this squad is capable of. The team at its best would have knocked 7/8 in past clitheroe.

Mid you good to see the future squad shaping up with the Academy U18's first ever two games
P2 W2 D0 L0 F19 A0 :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm 

I agree that we have had a good start to the season without yet "firing on all cylinders." one of the joint coaches (cannot remember which one), states that. He also said that a lot of teams are just "parking the bus," so to say, playing 4-5-1. That invites us to push extra players forward, but can expose you on a fast break. I'm satisfied with the season so far, but just have that "feeling in my water" defensively. Hope I'm proved wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 am 

We have this new midfielder, I heard, lots of news on the club website after he got his international clearance but not a word since. Know if he is warming up with the reserves or what??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am 

Haven't a clue. As you say, patience is a virtue!
On another topic, I'm just hoping the pitch, which has had a lot done on it stands up to rigours of the extra games being played on it this season. It would be a shame if it deteriorated significantly over the Winter. Mind you, I do welcome the teams playing on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am 

Well tomorrows "non league English Super Cup" is now a sell out. Pity the ground capacity wasn't a few thousand more. Hope for a good game with the right outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 pm 

An edge of the seat ride and winner in injury time (3-2). Non league English Champions 2017 I'd say. The Dream goes on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:55 pm 

Yes listening to the live coverage on Radio York and having a very nervous time as they got two back in five minutes or so, and lost shape a bit but overall the win easily deserved on the first half performance alone. Well that is Darlo and York done, what bets the Heed next round...... (not that there is any 'arranging; of the draw of course./ :mrgreen: .) Rather them than Shildon mind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am 

And a well done to Hyde United after their win in the Cup. Another team I'm looking forward to playing this season. See after yesterdays results (a lot of draws) we are still top of the League. Goole at home on Tuesday night. Hopefully the winds will have gone through by then, as wind, to my mind, is a destroyer of good football.

PS
Gets a bit "lonely" on this Forum doesn't it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next