It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: BUGLE NO.10
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:21 am 

FAIR PLAY

For three years I have reported from grounds across the Northern League and the time that I have dreaded most, is finally here. Town’s drastic loss of form. Writing is never easy - from the off you are there to be shot at - your views are open to question, and that is only fair and correct. But equally, when things don’t go your way, you have to take the rough with the smooth and so to do the players. Last season, the majority of the football was sublime bordering on perfection and the reports reflected that and the players & management deserved the attention it brought. Since March, for whatever reason it has become evidently clear that the performances are not up to the standards that supporters and indeed the management would expect, particularly for the amount of investment that has been provided from those who run the club. The supporters will back the team blindly, but sugar coating reports or attempting to paper over the cracks isn’t my style. For those of you out there who fancies having a go, you could do worse than use my system called FAIR.

FAIRNESS, ACCURACY (most of the time!) INCISIVE, REAL

You have to be fair or the reports don’t become believable or reliable and constantly berating refereeing displays takes the spotlight away from the players. Only on the odd occasion have I bemoaned a lack of justice! If the opposition deserved the win then so be it!

Accuracy is the reporters Achilles Heel! Ask winger Luke Hogan who will tell you I have named him Lee, Lance, Les, Lance Corporal Les, anybody beginning with L and Mark Dixon always feels hard done to when I’ve missed one of his assists (sorry Mark). In the main, thank goodness, accuracy is usually my strong point.

Incisiveness is the tricky one. There is nothing worse than reading a minute by minute report. I know because that’s how I started and it takes time to get out of the habit. If I was younger, alas it’s too late for me now, I would have loved to have learnt the job from those such as Martin Samuel, Daily Mail’s and the UK’s top sports journalist. He tells it like it is - balanced, honest and eminently readable. I nearly bumped into him once at the workplace, star struck as he was about to interview Gareth Southgate who was manager at Middlesbrough at the time. He described Teesdale Business Park as a mirror image of an Eastern European bloc communist state and he wasn’t wrong there! The only thing missing is a statue of Lenin! The picture of Margaret Thatcher, walking in the wilderness with her handbag seems an age ago! How incongruous is the thought of Communism and Thatcherism linked in the same sentence?.....or In this case two sentences!

Keeping it real (isn’t that what rap artists used to say?) is fundamental to any report. On numerous occasions I’ve been unable to ascertain who did what and been tempted to make it up and throw in a name! So far I have resisted but nearly did it the other night for the Crook game. For their penalty I had no idea who was fouled and who committed the crime!! If in doubt, keep it out!

Everybody makes mistakes. The most important thing is not to make the same ones week in week out and expect a different outcome. With only five games to go, it’s time for the players to keep it FAIR for those who travel home & away, week in week out. Town’s bad run has included bad luck, bad weather, bad timing and in some cases just plain bad football. It’s up to them to make the positive changes and make my job an easy one. Good bad or indifferent, I will be keeping my style of play, a fair one!

PS: I’ve decided to go against Vicente in the Scottish Grand National. You could do worse than back Sizing Tennessee at around 20/1 e/w. Pleasant Company finished runner up at 25’s last week in the big one and the same again today wouldn’t go amiss.

Sent from my iPad

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.