It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: BUGLE NO.8
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:38 pm 

SEASONS IN THE SUN OR SINGING IN THE RAIN?

Previous Bugles have had a regular theme and this one is no different! Weather.... or to be precise... rain and I can’t blame the Russians this time! A quick visit to Bedford Terrarce on Wednesday 4th April highlighted two things. 1) although waterlogged, the pitch is holding up quite well with just a few puddles on it. 2) the car park has taken a right battering and is mostly under water. Town don’t play at home again until Saturday 21st April against Chester-Le-Street and hopefully, by then, the above problems will have eased. Our next game isn’t until the 14th at Willington so many of us will be twiddling our thumbs, watching Carry On Film marathons or watching other Northern League games (if on!). The League have requested another extension to avoid a fixture pile-up and the FA will have little option but to accept their request. Town now face Alnwick on the 5th May and could yet face Blyth on the 12th or during midweek in between those two dates. It amazes me how often we find ourselves in this situation. There has been plenty of debate on non league zone about this subject and it’s an old chestnut of mine as well. At the beginning of the season, when the sun shines and optimism is high, Town would expect to play most midweeks up until October. It can be a challenging period for any club; invariably, players are on holiday during August and then the cup games kick in especially if drawn early in the League Cup/ DCC//EM Trophy. To avoid fixture congestion at the end of the season, the powers at be at NL HQ should seriously think about avenues that are available to them. 1) Other step 5/6 leagues start in July - in some cases clubs have already played 2/3 league games even before the NL has started. 2) Extend midweek league fixtures from October to the end of November. Again, cup competitions could dictate but there will be spare weeks where Town could fit in at least 2/3 league games. 3) If sides are knocked out early in the said cup competitions, the league could look at matching those clubs and arranging future fixture changes. The league do this when teams exit the FA Vase and FA Cups but could do the same for the midweek cup competitions. Football is a winter game and yet little football gets played in Winter! I’d rather watch non league football wearing shades than taking an umbrella! And singing isn’t my strong point!!!

Sent from my iPad

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.