It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm 

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 74
Clarkson 57 Kerridge 8
Peck 77 Beddow 33

How to avoid the inevitable cliche? I will try, but it’s going to be an ineffable task! Last night has to be right up there, with one of the most perplexing games I have ever witnessed. Town’s total domination of the first half was in total contrast to the second; the home side the beneficiary of some inconsistent refereeing decisions. While 2-0 ahead, and seemingly coasting to victory, Town were on the end of some rough justice. Reece Kenney, who was running the midfield got taken out by Mark Peck’s potential leg breaker but incredibly, referee Mr S.Birkett , only issued a yellow card. And when Clayton Macdonald saw a second yellow and then red during the second half, that earlier decision, had clearly left the Town travelling contingent in a fit of pique. To make matters worse, Peck would go on to score the equaliser but Billingham can at least take some comfort in that Chester’s third goal was ruled out for a foul on Lewis Shaw who performed heroics in goal. The opening forty-five minutes was exquisite stuff from Town, belying their erratic nature of late. In fact, Town had too many chances to note down and if they had scored a third goal then one would expect the game to have been over as a contest. Alas, everything that could go wrong in the second half - did go wrong but at least Town didn’t cave in after conceding several late goals in recent games. The point sees Town drop a place into seventh position with only one win in their last seven fixtures. Billingham took the lead with the first notable chance when Joe KERRIDGE cut inside from the right and struck a low shot with his sweet left foot, beating Jack Wilson with ease. Town were playing neat, possession based football, the only blemish being McDonald’s yellow card for a high challenge on Andrew Clarkson. It took the Moor’s half an hour to make any real impact, their best chance coming from Sam Moore who shot over while under pressure from Kris Summers. Town extended their lead three minutes later, the goal coming from persistence and precision; Ashley Lavan managed to get his cross into the box at the third time of asking but the home defence could only head the ball out to Elliott BEDDOW who was lurking outside the box in anticipation. The youngster chested the ball down to waist height and volleyed into the top corner - a strike that would grace any stadium. Gary Redman saw his low shot cannon off Wilson’s legs and Stephen Oakley’s free header glanced wide from the resulting corner. And then Kenney went down via a double axel from Peck’s impetuous challenge - only seeing yellow in the process. Further impressive moves from Town resulted in Macdonald side footing wide and Redman saw his pile-driver drift away from goal.


Unsurprisingly, Chester started to play to their strengths in the second half, showing more intensity and changing tactics. The Moor’s were getting a foothold in midfield and Clarkson thought he had pulled one goal back but Shaw, seeing the ball late, managed to fingertip it onto the post. It was a lucky escape, however, CLARKSON did score a minute later, heading home Aaron Reynolds cross from close range. Town needed to maintain a disciplined shape but that plan was scuppered when Macdonald received a second yellow, followed by red for an innocuous challenge. With Macdonald down the tunnel, there was some karma when Shaw superbly pushed away Peck’s speculative effort from thirty yards. That karma didn’t last long as PECK equalised with a free header, two minutes later. Beddow, Lavan, Luke Hogan and substitute Glen Hargrave were doing their utmost in keeping possession inside the opponents half without troubling the Moor’s defence. And the home side thought they had won the game, seven minutes from time with another header although Kevin Dixon’s goal was chalked off for a foul on Shaw. Billingham managed to see out the remaining minutes plus extended added on time to take a well earned point. It was most certainly a game of two halves!!!!! There....I failed!!


Sent from my iPad



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group