It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: BUGLE No.3
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:42 am 

A UNITED BILLINGHAM?

Stronger Together was the motto of the previous regime. The new era brings in a replacement - United We Stand. And yet from afar, observers or onlookers are talking about a United Billingham within a different context. The debate was raised on the non league zone forum last year, and again a few weeks back, a new post on the same subject emerged. Discussion about an amalgamation between Town and Synthonia within Billingham itself has been somewhat muted. The main support for a new joint venture appears to come from fans of other clubs who see Synthonia’s plight and Town’s recent problems as an intrinsic indication for change. I spoke to Graeme Goodman, Synthonia’s programme editor and photographer before our 0-0 draw back in April, and it was his view that the town could no longer continue with two clubs. Around ten years ago, there was talk of the two clubs merging with the aim of becoming a conference side (National League) but supporters, particularly the Town contingent were against this concept. Attitudes have softened since then but as it stands, unsubstantiated rumours are that Synthonia could well fold at the end of the season although I would imagine Town wouldn’t just become a benevolent charity and a change would have to make financial sense for both clubs. One of the fore mentioned observers has been our former league chairman and intrepid journalist Mike Amos. His daily blog can be an illuminating read and over three separate days, Town were the focus of his attention. Amos, who I have only spoken to on the odd occasion, was once good friends with my Great Uncle who passed away over a year ago. In fact, he thought so highly of him he wrote the odd article; one in particular springs to mind - a racehorse with the same name as my Great Uncle who was a useful handicapper. Apt, considering Alf was an astute dominoes player and an avid Yorkshire cricket fan although I’m not entirely sure that Alfred Hutchinson knew Alfred Hutchinson won races at York!! So myself, and Amos have a journalistic interest in sport and our paths have never crossed until now. Amos decided not to attend the Jarrow game recently in fear of interference but Amos would be welcomed warmly and I know our chairman, Paul Beddow would like to meet him for a chat. His cryptic comments with regards to Richard Bloomfield made interesting reading and I for one, would be enchanted to meet Amos for an in depth conversation. Amos could be surprised to find that his take on recent events at Town, may not appear as they seem. However, he wished Town good fortune and fortune would indeed, be most welcome. Who knows, maybe the powers at be at Town and Synthonia could look at ways of helping each other without having to resort to a unification. The Town needs a footballing boost - let’s see what happens in a month or two. Amos has at least, provided food for thought! For now, United We Stand remains!

Sent from my iPad

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.