It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: DRIBBLE ON THE RIBBLE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 am 

MANCHESTER
Given the number of clubs from the Manchester area, it's hardly surprising a large chunk of our time has been travelling down the M62 over the last 19 years.

Radcliffe Borough were one of our first away games in the NPL, nice clubhouse (complete with picture of Sir Alex Ferguson under a spotlight), the ground was tidy and I liked the little stand behind the goal, I thought that was what we should have done behind the bus station goal. I was sorry to see someone felt the need to burn it down recently.

Ashton United was like a local derby, with Gerry Quinn (ex Emley and Ossett Albion) in charge. their team was full of lads from Dewsbury and Huddersfield, including former Ossett town junior Jamie Riordan.

Curzon Ashton had a season in the NCEL due to the strange nature of the football pyramid, they were the most easterly of 3 clubs relegated from the NPL one year and had to join the NCEL. it was not a success and they soon returned to the NWCL. Both Ossett clubs and Liversedge had the reverse threat hanging over us, we could have been forced to join the NWCL under certain circumstances.

Mossley we first played against in the FA Cup in 1994, they were struggling on and off the field, they 3 or 4 managers the year before, they had a North Yorkshire based manager and most of his team were from Yorkshire and they had just lost to Boston United 9-3, we held them to 0-0 draw but they won the replay comfortably 3-0. One of the Mossley players, Tim Ryder later joined us when Besty was manager.

I remember us playing Hyde United in cup games, but that's about it, what I do remember is the rumours that someone from Hyde United was heavily involved in the decision not to promote us in 2002 and that Ossett town officials were angry about his involvement. I've no idea about that, but ultimately it was our own fault for not getting that stand built, no matter what the deadline was.

Flixton was a miserable place to go to , they were having financial problems caused by their admittedly superb new clubhouse, the locals were less than welcoming and on the field the ref struggled to keep control, eventually sending off two of their players for violent conduct. later I heard their reserves were kicked out of their league for their poor disciplinary record. Flixton were relegated and I understand they closed down.

Trafford. I went there once, a forgettable 0-0 draw. The journey home was unforgettable though. About to join the motorway, we spotted some coaches carrying Sunderland fans back from Old Trafford. Man United had won 4-0 and a certain wolves fan of our acquaintance felt the need to remind them of the score with various finger gestures. They replied with finger gestures of their own and as we joined the M62 we had coachloads of Sunderland fans either side of us all looking very angry and gesturing towards us. Our driver was getting rattled now and he put his foot down as crossed over into Yorkshire, clearly he was thinking about Hartshead Moor Services, where we were to drop off most of our players. He put some distance between us and the Sunderland fans and as we stopped at Hartshead the driver jumped out and flung most of the bags out for the players (moving faster than they had done all day) to scoop them up and disappear in every direction. Our driver managed to shut the door and set off just as a dozen or so Sunderland fans came running over to our coach. As we got back on the M62, other Sunderland coaches kept pace with us until we joined the M1 at Lofthouse and headed south and they headed north. Cheers Wayne.

FC United of Manchester certainly had the local idiots crawling out of the woodwork. Every visit to West Yorkshire had to have a police presence because of Leeds fans turning up to cause bother. Their visit to Ossett was no different, the police were there in strength and taking no chances, even searching pubs on Dewsbury road to see if any Leeds fans were in there. Sure enough there was a bit of bother in the ground, including one of our former junior players throwing a punch at a policeman outside the clubhouse. The FC United fans were puzzled by this as they thought the Ossett game would be a quiet one due to Leeds playing Hartlepool that same night, but I said no, Leeds have banned hundreds of fans in recent years and some of them latched onto non league football including our local teams.

Which brings me nicely to Manchester United. They came to Ingfield in 1988 with a reserve team including Lee Sharpe, Mark Robins and one or two first team players. They won comfortably 5-1 in front of an attendance of 1500. Police had a busy day too, they brought their vans into the ground and spent the second half chucking Leeds fans into the back. Especially impressive was the policeman who put both hands around a Leeds fans neck, lifted him up in the air and slung him in the van all in one seamless movement. Years later someone asked Firthy "why not invite Man United back for another friendly?" the reply was "we made no money out of it" United wanted their travel to Ossett and back paying for, they wanted a meal in a hotel in Wakefield paying for, they wanted exclusive access to the clubhouse for their players and officials only which decimated our bar takings, so no, we weren't going to invite United back.

Other sides we have played include Altrincham, Salford City, Atherton Colls, Atherton LR, Chadderton, Cheadle Town (as Grasmere Rovers), Droylsden and Rochdale Town (as Castleton Gabriels)

Post subject: Re: DRIBBLE ON THE RIBBLE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:38 pm 

SCOUSELAND
travelling now down East Lancs Road, unless you were travelling by Ron Lyles coaches, then you would probably have a detour around Wigan, like we did one year going to Burscough.

our first visit to Prescot Cables came a week or so after losing 7-0 at Workington. by half time we were 4-0 and we're thinking "here we go again", then new signing Rodney Rowe scored a couple of goals and the final score was 5-3. I went there a couple of times, one game I went for a wander around town and ended up the pub near the ground "Hope & Anchor". It was derby day in Liverpool and the pub, one of those old style 1930's pubs with a central room where the main bar and two side rooms with their own smaller bars. I stayed in the main bar but one side room was full of Liverpool fans watching the match on their tv, the other side room full of Everton fans with a tv in their room. At half time I went back to Prescot Cables to watch the 2nd half in their club, only to find they didn't have sky. Another time, we playing Runcorn at Prescot, our manager Steve Richards and some of the other Hull based players were all held up on the M62, so Steve Kittrick started the game with the 11 who had been on the coach and named the missing Hull players as the 3 subs. Half time we were winning 1-0, then Rico and the Hull lads turn up, Rico takes over and puts all 3 Hull lads on straight away and almost immediately we conceded 2 goals, losing in the end 2-1.

we went to Marine just before the end of their manager's long reign. Roly Howard I think his name was had been in charge since the early 1970's and was due to retire at the end of the season. Marine had handed free tickets out to the local schools, so the small ground was already packed. We had a couple of lads on loan from Grimsby Town and we ended up losing 4-2. I think Frickley were going to have the pleasure of being Roly Howard's last opposition a couple of weeks later. As per usual the coach driver never failed to entertain, we were stood outside Marine's clubhouse for ages waiting for the coach to turn up, when he finally showed, turns out he had taken himself off to Southport for the afternoon. which was nice.

I was going to go to our FA Vase game at St Helens Town, but that game was called due to the funeral of Princess Diana. The re-arranged game took place in midweek, I didn't go because I was due to start a new job the next day and I thought I had better behave myself and have a good night's alcohol free sleep. 20 years later I am still with that employer. Maybe I should have to gone to St Helens after all.

we played Knowsley United a few times in the early 90's, I never went there as such, but we did pass the ground driving to Marine and it certainly is an eye catching ground, to put it politely. Like their predecessors, Kirkby Town, they eventually closed down due to financial reasons.

We never played South Liverpool in a competitive fixture, but during the 1990-91 season, I think perhaps in January we had a blank Saturday as did NPL side South Liverpool and they travelled over to Ossett to play us in a friendly. They had their own problems and ground shared with Bootle for a time before closing down.

Southport we only ever met in the FA Cup back in 1991-92, though we did play their reserves in the Lancs League.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm 

LANCASHIRE
Burscough we first went there for a FA Cup, the season we played Halifax. Burscough were a top side in the NWCL and got off to a flying start, a shot bounced of Karl Lenaghan's backside and into the net. We came back into it and ended up winning 4-1. The Burscough supporters had all been muttering about their main striker being injured in a recent game v Rossendale and a few weeks later when our former centre half Darren Zoldan paid us a visit, I asked him, Knowing he played for Rossendale, "did you play against Burscough?" "yes" "their fans were complaining about their top scorer being injured" "yes, I didn't mean to do it, I was bit late". so even after leaving us, Zolly inadvertently did us a favour.

The business about our driver taking us on a tour of Wigan while travelling to Burscough, it turns out he was a rugby league fan and he wanted to see what was left of Central Park, the former home of Wigan. All that was left was a huge pile of bricks.

Chorley was our first ever game in the NPL, me and a relative travelled independently and drove to Chorley, passing Bolton Wanderers new ground and eventually got to Chorley just as the bus carrying Ossett town arrived. It was, apart from the grass banking at the clubhouse, an impressive ground, reminded me a bit of Huddersfield's old ground at Leeds Road. Chorley took a 3-0 lead in the first half,but we clawed back to 3-3. Travelling back home afterwards, we timed it perfectly and arrived outside the Reebok Stadium just as their match with QPR was finishing. Great. Eventually we got back onto the M62 and my relative decided to leave the M62 near Huddersfield and we travelled down through Lepton, Grange Moor, Middlestown and Horbury Bridge back to Ossett. We were also in my relative's works van and on the following Monday all the drivers were called in and asked not very politely "who was speeding through Grange Moor on Saturday evening? you overtook one of our directors and he says you were breaking the speed limit" :oops:

We played at Rossendale a few times, but I went for a cup game about 1999 or 2000. As per usual the coach driver managed to park up near a pavement covered in dog muck so we all had to very carefully step over that, as we went into the ground, we noticed Rossendale were serving cooked meals in their clubhouse. One or two of our old timers said Ossett Town used to do that back in the 70's, but firthy knocked it on the head as there no money it. The one thing I recall about Rossendale is that view from the ground. You might think the view from Albion's ground is a cracking view and it is, but the view from Rossnedale was something else. I got bored with the football in the 2nd half and ended up watching a land rover struggling to get up that massive hill, but he got there in the end.

Accrington Stanley, for the benefit of our more stupid supporters and (ex) committee, is not and never has been near Liverpool. Even if the manager and most of the players were (are) scousers. We played there in the FA cup then after our promotion played there again for one season only until Accrington won promotion. The league match was in doubt because of heavy rain and indeed when we got to Accrington, their directors were cancelling the pie order, convinced the game was going to be called off. But the weather improved and the game went ahead. Before the game, the PA announced the pies were off due to a fault with the oven, so I took great delight telling anyone near me "that's wrong, they cancelled the order because they thought the game was going to be called off" and the Accrington supporters believed me! clearly they didn't have much faith in their board like most clubs. It was a poor match, Accrington won 2-1 and Brooky got sent off for an off the ball incident, Mick Polli having to physically restrain Brooky from getting into the crowd and take him to the dressing rooms. As the weather worsened again, I went to sit in the main stand, where I could see some empty seats. almost immediately I heard a Lancashire accent in my ear "hey you, who said you can sit there?" not wishing to get into an argument, I stood to up walk away out of the stand and the same voice "its ok big man, are you with Pete?" I looked at this little man talking to me "are you with Pete?" pointing up towards the back of the stand, I looked up and saw our football chairman Peter Wilkinson sat with Doncaster manager Ian Snodin. I said yes and little man says "its ok you can sit down". Later I found out it was Accrington's chairman Eric Whalley who I had been chatting with. At the end of the match I had a pint in the clubhouse where I had some dilbert in my face going on about "I thought you were all supposed to be gentlemen in Yorkshire" "f*** off" no idea what dilbert was on about and I left him talking to John Parkinson, who'll happily talk to anyone, dilbert or not. Years later I saw this dilbert on Sky News when a betting scandal hit Accrington, turns out he was the commercial manager or somebody. I went back to the bus and all the others came back to the bus 5 minutes later laughing their heads off. It turns out as all the Ossett people started leaving, Eric Whalley was stood near the exit and started calling us a pub team and other epithets, to which Firthy responded "at least we've never closed down mid season", to which Eric had no answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm 

LANCS PART 2
Bamber Bridge is a nice place, the people were ok and they were re-building their club house. We went 3-0 in the first half but in the second half they came back and drew 3-3. Rodney Rowe probably doesn't think it was such a nice place because unfortunately the club idiot (there's always one at every club) decided to follow Rodney around shouting at him. I was stood near enough to know the idiot was stopping just short of racism, but the Bamber Bridge people were clearly embarrassed and weren't sure what to do. Thankfully, Ossett town had two ladies ideally suited for this situation and up stepped Joy and Anne, who got onto this fella's back and hounded the fella every time he said anything to Rodney, to the extent he started walking away and they followed him to give him a piece more of their mind.

Squires Gate. I had stopped going to the away matches by this stage because of some nonsense or other that I have forgotten. Albion can't have had a game, so I went to watch our reserves at home. Some supporters who would normally have gone to Squires Gate were watching the reserves as well. Turns out the coach had set off half an hour earlier than planned and these supporters had not been informed of the change and were a little put out by it. Certainly I had been in the club the night before and there had been no changes written onto the list of names wishing to travel to Squires Gate or any indication the coach was setting off earlier. No one behind the bar said anything. So we just put it down to someone writing the wrong time down on the sheet. Reserve team secretary Steve Andrews relayed the news as it came back from Squires Gate "we're winning 1-0", "now its 2-0", "2-1 now" "2-2" (murmurs and grumbling now evident) "losing 3-2" (ffs what the hell is going on over there?). Final score 3-2 to Squires Gate. The real fun began when they arrived back from Squires Gate. most of the supporters and some committee were never ever going to another away match ever again, ever. Seems like the decision to set off early was Brooky's because he wanted his players to have a pre match meal and being an ex Blackpool player knew just the place. when the coach arrived at this hotel in Blackpool, the players all trooped into the hotel while the supporters and committee wandered about making their own amusement. Time came to go back to this hotel and board the coach and when the supporters/committee got there, no driver, no players or anyone, they were still in the hotel. then it started raining heavily and there was no shelter for our supporters/committee but our players were all stood at a window in this hotel pointing and laughing at the soaking wet supporters/committee. Eventually they got to Squires Gate, only to find the locals in not very welcoming mood. At one point someone from Squires Gate made a comment about Ossett town's wage bill and said we had a wage bill of £8,000 a week! even the biggest critics of our committee would freely acknowledge that the club never paid anything like that in a month, never mind a year. As it happens some of the supporters and committee stuck to their word and never went to an away match until Brooky had left.

We played Fleetwood Town in their first game in the NPL Premier Division after they won promotion. They brought a big crowd with them and The Royal pub across the road made a few quid out of them. Fleetwood clearly were a very good side and won the game 4-2. In their team was a former Ossett Town player Stuart Beech. He came from Fleetwood and his family were heavily involved with Fleetwood Town. He played for us while at Leeds University. In the second half, Stuart and Andy Hayward clashed off the ball, leaving Stuart face down clutching his stomach, the Fleetwood defenders and keepers had a go at Andy and James Walshaw tried to protect Andy. Play had continued up the other end of the pitch and the ref was called back to calm things down. He had a word the linesman and sent off Stuart Beech but did not even book Andy Hayward. This enraged the Fleetwood captain Jamie Milligan and when the game restarted Milligan fired in a two footed tackle on an Ossett player right in front of our old dugout. this sparked off a mass brawl involving every player and everyone in the Ossett dugout, once it calmed down, the ref sent off Milligan and James Walshaw who had headbutted someone. The return game months later was a dull 0-0 apparently.

We met Fleetwood a couple of years later in the Trophy but they weren't bothered and we had an easy win. Everyone knew then they were going all the way to the Football League. Not sure Joey Barton's really the right man for the job.

Our reserves played Morecambe in the Lancs League and lost 0-8 and our then secretary Trevor Green complained about the lack of hospitality at Morecambe! that had Firthy shaking his head, as a lot of things Trevor did tended to do.

We might have played Lancaster city, I don't remember them, we also played Clitheroe, I think that was the first ever penalty shoot out we took part in. Ramsbottom I think we played and Padiham who were in the NPL briefly.

I know we have played Colne in recent years, we never played Colne Dynamoes but when we went to Accrington Stanley we had the pleasure of meeting Phil Terry, long serving secretary of Colne Dynamoes and when they closed he moved to Accrington. A nice man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm 

and Skelmersdale, we played them, I don't know how forgot them, I knew a bloke in Dewsbury who played for them in Anglo Italian Amateur Cup, the final was abandoned because of all the fighting on the pitch!

CUMBRIA
Barrow we never played, we should have played them in the Lancs League but it was the end of the season but no one was bothered so the game never got played.

We first went to Kendal when they were called Netherfield Kendal. we set off down the M62 and Anne Sheriff got a call from someone at Kendal saying there had been a big crash near Preston. So Anne tells the driver who says no problem I know a way around Preston. We stopped at Birch services to collect Martin Ayscough and Noel Horner, I saw the map in the compartment above the drivers head, I thought "you ought to have a look just to make sure" but he wasn't bothered and I soon forgot about it. As we travelled up the M61 we passed over the brow of a hill and down below was a scene of absolute hell in front of us. Cars and lorries and buses everywhere. stood still. in the distance we could see the M65 coming down from burnley and all that was stationary. We could see the M6 up ahead and nothing was happening there either. somehow, we did move, little by little, eventually we got onto the M6 and passed the cause of the mayhem, a petrol tanker had blown up and several fire engines were trying to put the fire out. We edged into Preston where it was gridlock and this was where Brooky came into his own. He went up to the driver, pointed out one or two things then returned to the back of the bus, driver looked reluctant but went along with it, turned left down one street right into another and lo! we were in the clear and away from the traffic jams! evidently Brooky knew his way around Preston from his Blackpool days. Soon we were on the A6, passed that silly service station near Lancaster and trying to make up time getting to Kendal, we arrived there about 4 pm and kicked off straight away. The game itself was rubbish, a 0-0 draw, enlivened only by some of committee alleging that they had been spat on by some youngsters from Kendal and an argument broke out between our committee and their committee which rumbled on for a couple of years after that. Not that I cared as I was in their clubhouse/nightclub watching the results on the tv. After the game, someone from Kendal kindly showed us an alternative route through Clitheroe to get down to birch services to drop off Noel Horner and Martin Ayscough. We told our driver, he acknowledged what we said and then ignored us and drove straight back onto the M6 and back into the traffic jam. what a muppet. someone did raise the point at the time "this guy doesn't want to go home". We again passed the by now smouldering ruins of a petrol tanker, and eventually back to the M62 arriving back in Ossett just before midnight. To add insult to injury, the league fined us for a late arrival even though the referee from St Helens was in the same traffic jam and he spoke up for us with the league.

for our first visit to Workington, the committee let the players and officials book an hotel so they could go up the night before, they ended up in a hotel owned by BNFL in Whitehaven which invited a few comments not worth repeating here. I travelled with my relative on the day, thankfully he wasn't in his work van but his car. We took the scenic route via Bradford, Skipton, Giggleswick and various other places I can't remember before reaching Cumbria, we then took the coastal route passed a village called Bootle (their football team were playing that day), also the rugby stronghold of Millom and made our way up to Whitehaven then Workington. General conclusion was that's not the quick route and we'll have to try something else for the return. We got to Borough Park and parked up, our lads were already there and I could see the Dodd brothers warming up on the pitch as we went into the bar. Clearly all wasn't well at Borough Park, leaflets were being handed out accusing the directors of allsorts of things. On the field we were in good form and won 3-0. Travelling home, we took some advice and we went the A66 route to Scotch Corner then down the A1, we were back in Ossett by 7.30, which impressed everyone when we walked into the clubhouse.

When Brooky was replaced by Scott Cooper, quite a few of us decided to start going to away games again. the first match of the season was at Workington and this time I went with the club by coach. I knew something was going to go wrong because the departure time was set at 11.00, that's far too late especially when you need to be there by 1:30 as per league rules. Next mistake was to set off down the M62. bad news, especially on an August bank holiday when everyone and their caravan is on the loose. We picked players up at Hartshead then it was snails pace on the M62, M61 and then M6 all the way to Penrith, which we reached by 3 pm. We made our way through Keswick, where there was a sign up saying "live sheep show" outside a building "f***ing perverts" muttered old Les sat behind me. The players had to get changed on the bus and as we arrived at Borough park it was straight off the coach and onto the pitch for a 4pm kick off, by half time it was 4-0 and the final score was 7-0. Going home, the players spotted an off licence and stopped the bus to get some drinks this went down like a lead balloon and the driver then announced "I'm taking everyone back to Ossett and those of you wanting to go to Hartshead can stay on the bus with me, my depot is nearby" Well that cheered us all up (except the players swigging their ciders) and we went the quick route via the wilderness to Scotch Corner and then back home.

and finally,

Gretna. That one was a long haul up the M6, we were passed by coaches carrying Celtic fans north, I think the Coventry branch passed us at one point; it was a sunny day and the scenery was tremendous, well worth the journey. As we got nearer Carlisle, I was rummaging through my pockets for no reason, just a bit of a nervous thing I have, then I realised John Parkinson was watching me. In one of those rare moments of inspiration I occasionally have, I said to him "have you got your passport, we're coming up to the Scottish border" the look of terror on his face was one to behold and I burst out laughing and he realised I was winding him up. That part of Scotland reminds me of the Falkland Islands not that I ever went to the Falklands but I have read enough books and seen enough documentaries to know the Falklands like the back of my hand. We passed the blacksmiths and everything was clearly geared up for tourism. We went into their clubhouse with on duty policeman serving behind the bar which gave us a startle but it turns out he was the brother of the club chairman and was just helping for a minute or two while the bar staff were doing something else. Up on the clubhouse wall was programmes and articles relating to a fundraising match with Rangers for the Lockerbie disaster which was a few miles up the road from Gretna. The game itself was rubbish, the only entertainment was listening to some very bad tempered Scotsman behind the goal shouting something incomprehensible to anyone and everyone. The journey home saw the sun setting over the cumbrian mountains to the west and here sets the sun on my memories of watching Ossett Town home and away.

Thank you for your indulgence. :mrgreen: