It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: A MAZY DRIBBLE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 am 

the end is nigh and i've done my share of reminiscing over the last few weeks. Years ago I read a book about north east football by Harry Pearson and he described his book as a "mazy dribble". Around the same time another journalist called John Aizlewood (I think) wrote about his successful attempt to visit all 92 Football League grounds in one season. Away from football I read a book by JB Priestley called "English Journey" where he visits various towns and cities describing the economic and social conditions in those towns. I would be very cheeky to compare myself to 2 professional journalists and a world renowned playwright, but I'm still going to inflict my vague and occasionally factually incorrect memoirs on you. :mrgreen:

NORTHUMBERLAND
I only went to Blyth once, we took the scenic route via the Tyne Tunnel and Whitley Bay. We were on a double decker coach and I could hear the players downstairs engaged in some witty banter, so much so a couple of the younger players came upstairs to join us supporters and committee to get some quiet. I had my headphones on so I wasn't aware of what was being said. We arrived in Blyth and I was one of the last off the bus, the driver was steaming "if that ginger haired little **** talks to me again i'll rip his head off" (or something like that). I've never seen such an angry man, then it suddenly clicked "James Walshaw!" I did hear his voice from upstairs, turns out the players were giving the driver some grief about taking the long route to Blyth and Wally was a bit more vocal than the rest. We won the game and the only other memorable thing I remember was going into the clubhouse and everyone watching an Arabic sports channel.

In our first season in the NPL, we played Whitley Bay, the game kicked off at 1 pm due to the England v Scotland match later that afternoon, we got there about 11 am and the first thing we saw was a picture of Leeds striker Michael Bridges in a Whitley Bay kit, before he turned pro with Sunderland. Then we found out Whitley Bay had taken out their Sky Box so we couldn't watch the England match. Whitley Bay should really have been 4-0 up at half time, but we came back into it and ended up winning 7-1. After the game someone said we could go across the road to the Whitley Bay Community club and watch the England game in there, not that I remember much because they had Federation beer on and that went down a bit too easily.

obviously we have never played Newcastle United, and i've talked before about Newcastle legend Len White playing for Ossett Town at the end of his career. Another form Newcastle player to turn out for OTFC was John Beresford. Our then football director Peter Wilkinson had some contacts in the Sheffield area and that's how John Beresford ended up signing for us. He made it clear he could only play midweek games due to working for Sky Sports at the weekends. In the event he only played about 3 games for us before moving on to Worksop Town.

We played at Morpeth in a cup game and that inadvertently ended my days with Ossett Town. I had long stopped going to the away games and it had go to the stage I was actively thinking about stopping going altogether, such was the hostility about the place. I was in the club that Saturday having a quiet pint, planning to have one more pint before the players and committee got back from Morpeth, they weren't expected until 9 pm, so I ordered myself a last pint, as I was paying for it in walks all the committee and players and they proceeded to give me some grief about something or other. I dropped my change on the floor and as I bent down to pick it up I got a very sarcastic "OH WELL DONE!" from the wife of a committee man much to the hilarity of everyone else, then there was some derogatory remarks, I supped up and went home thinking to myself "that's me done, I'm finished here". As it happens later in the week I was rushed into hospital with an infection and ended up there for 3 weeks, so that ended my days with Ossett Town and I never watched another game since.

We never played Bedlington Terriers, but Ossett Albion did and I watched that game, I remember Bedlington had exactly the same kit as Ossett Town and their supporters singing "who let the dogs out". We also played Newcastle blue star, Neil Farnhill broke his leg and never played for us again. We also played West Allotment Celtic when they were still in the Northern Alliance.

Post subject: Re: A MAZY DRIBBLE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 am 

DURHAM
we played Gateshead at the International stadium and as was my habit at most away games, I went for a wander around the local area before the game. I walked past this desolate site where an old factory had been, with some travellers in the caravans parked to one side. I turned the corner and ended up walking past some modern penthouses overlooking the Tyne, I crossed a footbridge across to the Newcastle side past all the wine bars. On the quayside there was a minesweeper moored alongside, HMS Brocklesby, with family and friends walking aboard and with a rating on duty with his SA80 rifle, I looked across the river at the Baltic Mill and this "thing" that looked like a metallic slug, which I found later was a concert hall. I called in at a pub near Tyne Bridge where I watched a bit of the Birmingham v Leeds match on Sky, the barman kindly informed me, if I was interested, there "some strippers on in the bar next door", I kindly made my excuses, drank up and headed back to Gateshead. Obviously I knew the route from watching the Great North Run every year. The game itself was rubbish but we won 2-0 with Rodney Rowe scoring a goal that was blatantly offside.

I should have mentioned North Shields in the Northumberland piece, they were clearly the best team I ever saw in the NCEL and it was a shame they went bust before taking their place in the NPL.

We never played Sunderland and apart from Ricardo Gabbiadini, I'm not aware of any links with Sunderland, apart from the fact that most of you who ever sat down in the seats at the bus station end would have been sat on seats that were originally from the old Roker Park. Sunderland, when building the Stadium of Light, sold off their old seats to Doncaster Rovers and a few years later Firthy and a few lads travelled down to Donny and came back with some seats they didn't need.

I never saw us play Bishop Auckland in Bishop Auckland. when we played them they were based at Shildon, then they moved to Spennymoor. Initially I wasn't going to go to Spennymoor, but one of the committee said to me "you'll like it up there, they have a nice clubhouse". We got to Spennymoor, our committeeman said to me "the clubhouse is just here, oh", as we gazed upon a pile of scorched wood. The game itself was nothing to remember, apart from our coach driver walking into the ground in the middle of the second half, I was the first person from Ossett he saw and he told me some local lads had smashed the back window of his coach. The Bishop Auckland officials were sympathetic, they told us other clubs visiting Spennymoor had suffered damage to their coaches. There was no replacement bus forthcoming so our players had to make do with a very fresh breeze at the back of the bus for the 2 hour journey back to Ossett.

Spennymoor United themselves spent some time in the NCEL and there last game in the NCEL was the League Cup final staged at Ingfield and earned the undying respect of Ossett Town's committee by very nearly drinking the clubhouse dry.

We played at Billingham Town in a cup game, we had a pint before the game and I was one of the last out of the clubhouse, I heard the ref blow his whistle to start the game and as I got near the turnstiles a big cheer went up, Billingham had scored after about 13 seconds or something like that. The game ended 1-0 and we trooped back into the clubhouse to get a pint, no sooner had we sat down then Frank Lloyd's daughter, Anne Sheriff, came rushing into the clubhouse "we're setting off now, Rico's going straight home" Our manager Steve Richards was obviously not impressed by his team's performance and we weren't impressed by having to down a pint in one and then rush onto the departing bus.

Easington Colliery was another cup game, but this was midweek because it had been called off the previous Saturday due to bad weather. I walked into their clubhouse and one of the locals pointed up at the black & white tv screen muttering something about "dingles", I smiled politely not knowing what this guy was on about, I mentioned it to little Ian who was right behind me and he looked up at the screen and starts laughing "oh its Emmerdale Farm, don't you watch it? there's a family called the Dingles in it now, they're great". I felt a bit like a village idiot myself, it was freezing cold and I was only wearing a polo shirt and a Harrington jacket. As I was not watching the game, I looked beyond the other touchline and I couldn't see anything it was just blackness, no lights, no features or anything. It was only went back into the clubhouse and starting looking at the old photos I realised why it was totally black at the other side of the ground, it was the North Sea! no wonder I was frozen daft. Going home was a shambles, we dropped off the Dodd brothers at Ferrybridge Services (why they parked their car there when they came from Barnsley was never explained), we then promptly drove straight into a huge traffic jam outside Pontefract and didn't get back to Ossett until about 2 in the morning. Poor Darren Zoldan then had to drive all the way to Chorley where he had just start a new job as a school teacher.

Our trip to Consett was on a lovely sunny day, the scenery in that part of Durham is one to behold, with the pennines in the distance, we passed through Tow Law and West Auckland to get to Consett and as per usual I went for a wander around town. On returning to the ground, I got a few snide remarks from a Consett official who made it clear he knew who I was and where I had been and was less than impressed about me spending my money elsewhere rather than in his club. It brought to a head something I had suspected for a while, that the other Ossett Town supporters didn't approve of me going to other pubs before a match, I had had a few snide remarks of them in the past and now they were tipping off the home clubs about me. The game itself was a stroll in the park we won 5-1 with Walshaw and Andy Hayward in top form, but I was on the receiving end of some verbal abuse from some Consett fans and a nearby Ossett Town fan snarled at me "what's your problem?". After the game some of our officials really had a chip on their shoulder about something, even snarling at a Consett official for not pronouncing Worsbrough Bridge's name correctly (they were due to play "Wuzbrugh" in a vase match). Travelling home, the driver had clearly had a word with himself and we travelled the quick route, going past Ferryhill's old ground.

Other clubs from Durham we played include Brandon United, Dunston Federation Brewery, Durham City, Seaham Red Star, Whickham and Willington.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:36 am 

NORTH YORKS
i'll put Guisborough Town in here, just to annoy them. :evil: I didn't like Guisborough and they didn't like us. It's a nice ground, nice facilities, nice location, but that's as far as the pleasantries go. Even before the game there was a distinct lack of friendliness and humour about the place, especially towards us. We won the game 2-1 but near the end our midfielder Chris Shaw, a normally inoffensive guy, left his foot in and caught their keeper in the head, their defenders ran in and battered Shawy for what seemed like a number of seconds before our heavy mob, Karl Slater and Gary Brook were able to get to Shawy to pull him out. Shawy and two Guisborough players were sent off and our coach Mick Polli had to protect Shawy on the walk back to the changing rooms as the Guisborough fans vented their anger. As I walked back to the bar, little Ian was having a row with several Guisborough fans and as I got to the bar, the barmaid scowled at me, which made me laugh.

I didn't go to Whitby Town, it was usually a midweek game but when it was played at a weekend, I must have been working overtime. If it was a weekend, Ossett Town juniors would make a day out of it, hiring a couple of buses. One year, for the midweek game, our vice President Raymond Ward, who was stopping at the time in a caravan in Hornsea, decided to drive up to Whitby to see us play. He got to Whitby, only to find out the game was on the next night.

Pickering Town must have gone to the same charm school as Guisborough. First time I went, we had a player called John Gray who came from Fleetwood and had moved to Yorkshire with his job, working for the same company as our long serving defender Steve Worsfold. John was stood near me at one point and said "it's like deliverance country up here". I couldn't hear any banjos playing or pigs squealing, but he did have a point, the locals seemed to be very hostile. I went again a couple of years later in our promotion season, by then Gary Brook was playing for us and the locals remembered him from Scarborough, so he got dogs abuse, which he was more than happy to reciprocate. At one point, as I was walking past the main stand, some disabled lad lent over and screamed a mouthful of abuse at me, which amused me, and annoyed him even more. Afterwards, Mick Polli, recounting his days playing for Ossett Town in the early 1970's, remembered one match at Pickering where the players where chased back onto the bus by the locals, angry about Ossett Town's defensive tactics.

I never went to Harrogate Town, which is probably just as well, because in the 2001-02 season, Harrogate were runaway leaders on Division One, we were in second and a large crowd was in attendance at Wetherby Road. some of our supporters rather unwisely went into their main stand at one point an argument broke out and one of our supporters was assaulted. He tried to stand up to defend himself, but other Harrogate fans restrained him and allowed his assailant to continue punching him. The assailant then ran out of the ground. It was not to be our year, though we finished 2nd, we were turned down for promotion for not building a small stand within the deadline set by the league.

We played at Tadcaster in a cup game one year, because of the FA rules, we could claim the cost of a coach against the gates receipts, so we travelled up to Tadcaster on a bus when normally we travelled by car. Our bus driver was a friendly chap, not a day under 75 I don't think, resplendent in a sky blue ensemble with reminded of "Thunderbirds" for some reason. Journey started off well enough, joining the M1 at junction 40, then he came off at junction 41 and headed for East Ardsley (we're thinking "is there a problem on the M1?"), then in East Ardsley he turns into another road and half an hour later we end up in Rothwell, eventually passed through Garforth and finally Tadcaster. our manager Wayne Day was steaming. We won the game and I can't remember what route we took coming home. and If I remember rightly, it was a shared loss at the gate.

down the years we have played Harrogate Railway a few times, we also used to play against Scarborough's reserves in the old Yorkshire League and the early days of the NCEL, while Selby Town were once a big club in the Yorkshire League, big enough to once a hire a train for their supporters to come to Ossett for a big cup game, back in the days when Ossett still had a train station.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:16 am 

EAST YORKS
Bridlington Town and Bridlington Trinity shared the same ground, Queensgate. We never played Trinity, though Ossett Albion did, we did play Brid Town on quite a few occasions. One match that stood in the memory was an FA Vase match back in the late 80's. The game at Ingfield ended in a draw, one of the Brid players broke his leg colliding with a perimeter post. the replay was the following Saturday and those who were there said the referee, who just happened to live in the same village as the Brid boss Colin Appleton, played 10 minutes of injury time with Ossett winning. Then in the last minute of injury time, Brid won a penalty and Karl Lenaghan saved it. We were knocked out in the next round by North Ferriby.

North Ferriby is one of those places that has people gawping out of the window on the coach travelling there, thinking "look at those houses, look at those gardens, look at those top of the range cars". when we went there was a fair amount of drooling and window licking going on. Last time I went was in our promotion year and our juniors had chosen this game as their day out, descending "en masse". Before the game, I was over the other side of the ground, by the railway embankment, some of our juniors had run up the embankment and the North Ferriby officials were telling them to get down. One of our more stupid junior managers got involved and started arguing with the Ferriby officials "leave them alone, they're not doing any harm", one Ferriby man turned round and said "no, they won't be doing any harm when the Leeds to Hull train comes past at 90 miles an hour in a few minutes" Ossett man, without skipping a beat looks at our lads and bleats "lads,lads can you come down please?" thankfully the lads came down and sure enough a transpennine train comes flying by at full pelt.

Hall Road Rangers are (or were) located in a village between Beverley and Hull. I went there with our reserve team and the journey there involved driving into Beverley, then past the ground to a roundabout, then back to the ground so the coach could do a right turn up this track leading to the ground. The ground itself was one of the worst you've seen, but it was the Hall road clubhouse that was the worth the journey. Everything under one roof, including the dressing rooms, offices for the officials, big function room, plenty of space, catering facilities, almost the perfect clubhouse. It's a pity we were never in the same division, I would have liked to have gone there again.

Goole Town had just been relegated from the NPL when I went there, it was a midweek game and I got a lift with Frank Lloyd, Frank rarely said much and he didn't say much this night either, preferring to listen to a Welsh Male Voice choir on his cassette player. It would be fair to say there was nothing pleasurable about the Victoria Pleasure Grounds that night, Goole beat us fair and square, there wasn't much of a crowd, what crowd there was were standing outside the ground looking through holes in the perimeter fence. Off the field Goole were a mess, their committee had evidently had a problem with Hatfield Main, they were asking us if we had a problem with them, we said no, but it turns out there had been a theft from the Goole clubhouse next to the dressing rooms and they thought someone from Hatfield was involved. I felt sorry for the people from Goole and it was no surprise really when they closed down at the end of the season. Thankfully they re-formed as Goole AFC and had some success in the Central Midlands League and NCEL before taking their rightful place back in the NPL. Obviously no one knows whats happening next season, who's going where etc, It would be a shame to see Goole have to return to the NCEL, but if they do, I'm sure they will back in the NPL before long. Travelling back from Goole that night in 1995, I got a lift with someone else (Frank had to stop and sort something out), a huge convoy of water tankers came thundering past us, heading for the M62, we passed them later but they were all heading for the reservoirs near Halifax where there had been a drought and we had the standpipes and water bowsers ready here in Ossett.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 am 

LEEDS
Leeds United used to send a team down to Ossett most years, sometimes they would play Albion, sometimes us; normally it would be a mixed reserve-junior team (similar to the old A teams of the 1950's). I saw David Seaman play his last game for Leeds (against Albion) before transferring to Peterborough United in 1982, Neil Aspin played in that game, Gary Speed and David Batty played against Albion a few years later. In 1986, Albion erected their floodlights and the official opening ceremony was a game against a full strength Leeds side with Billy Bremner in charge.

Farsley Celtic have been old rivals, on and off, down the years. When Farsley went up to the NPL in 1987, we continued to meet them at reserve and junior level with varying levels of malevolence, one junior game ended up in the national papers when a Farsley player attacked the referee. When we came up to the NPL in 1999, we met Farsley towards the end of the season here at Ingfield. the tackles were flying in and one bad tackle sparked a brawl, involving most players. That settled down then Martin Ayscough flew in and took out a Farsley player at the knees, this sparked an even bigger brawl, this time involving the Farsley dug out. there was much mutual antipathy on and off the pitch and the return fixture at Throstle Nest was not eagerly anticipated. Thankfully I was doing overtime so I didn't go, but those who went said afterwards it was one of the most bad tempered games they had seen. Apparently one official from North Ferriby came to watch the game (they were coming up from the NCEL as champions), he was stood with some Ossett officials and they said this poor fella from Ferriby turned white with horror at just how physical NPL could be. Good luck to Farsley anyway, looks like they want to have another crack at the National League.

There was one year, after Steve Kittrick had left us for Guiseley, where we played 3 games at Nethermoor and won all 3, while Guiseley came down to Ingfield won the game here. One of those wins at Guiseley was 6-2 if I'm not mistaken. Guiseley fully deserved all the success they had after appointing Kittrick, which, people forget, was not a universally popular appointment with the Guiseley fans.

Garforth Town went from being a tough no nonsense outfit wearing red and black to a tippy tappy outfit wearing the Brazil kit, and it got them promotion to the NPL. Their owner, simon Clifford, certainly made an impact, with his connections to Middlesbrough and through them, connections to Brazil, he got plenty of publicity for Garforth, including when signed 1980's Brazil world cup star, Socrates, to play a couple of games for Garforth.

Yorkshire Amateurs were once one of the biggest names in amateur football, some of their players turned out for the England Amateur side and they regularly reached the later rounds of the Amateur Cup. It seems a great pity, given their catchment area, between North Leeds and East Leeds, they don't do better than they have done over the last few decades.

Other sides we have met down the years include Leeds Ashley Road, East End Park, Swillington Welfare and Collingham. Indeed, we used to have our reserve team in the Leeds Red Triangle League in the 1970's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:47 pm 

and congratulations to Prince William and kate on the birth of their 3rd child, hip hip hooray and all that.

BRADFORD
we played Bradford City's reserve/juniors sides many times in pre season matches, I remember Terry Yorath played in one match. I also recall Chris Kamara, during his brief spell as City manager, coming down to Ossett Town to present awards to one of our junior teams. I've mentioned before about Frank Lloyd and others who have played for City and later turned out for Ossett Town and of course, we won a West Riding Senior Cup at Valley Parade.

The old Bradford FC (the original Bradford Park Avenue) closed down in 1974, we had players who had turned out for them, including Mick Polli who played in their reserve side in the early 70's. The new club started life in 1988 after the supporters kept the name alive in sunday football. Our first meeting with them was probably in the late 90's after they had joined the NPL from the North West Counties League (the NCEL wouldn't let them in because they were playing at other clubs grounds, including Bramley RLFC and Batley RLFC). I went to our first ever league meeting with them in 1999, just after our promotion, that's a desolate place is the Horsfall Stadium, never mind the running track, the whole ground resembled the graveyard across the road. Meetings between the two always seemed to be vexed occasions, always seemed to be some controversy, never much love lost between us. MInd you, we didn't help ourselves at times, one year we were unable to produce a programme for some reason, so instead of just printing a team sheet and issuing it for free, we put Graham Willis's team talk magazine inside an Ossett Town programme cover and sold that as a programme. Another we time we enforced a rule banning supporters from bringing in their own food, trouble was the guy we stopped from bringing in his own food was an infamous character called "Yard dog" who went onto Avenue's website and badmouthed Ossett Town something rotten (which made a change from badmouthing Leeds United like he normally did)

We used to meet Thackley a lot, one year they even reached a League Cup final played at Ossett Town. I never had much time for them, but our chairman was good friends with their chairman and Firthy was invited to join Thackley's committee, but Firthy didn't fancy the long drive up there. We tried to sign their record goal scorer, Stuart Taylor back in the 90's but he wasn't interested and later he joined Accrington Stanley, couldn't blame him really.

Eccleshill United were another club I never really took a liking to, though one year they made me laugh with their programme, I don't think their editor had really thought through what he was doing because in the programme v Ossett Town he re-printed our page from the NCEL handbook, with the names and addresses of our senior officials. Firthy was quietly flicking through the programme during a quiet spell serving behind the bar when there an explosion of anger from his general direction, we turned to see what had annoyed him "******** have printed my address and telephone number in their programme, what the hell for?"

I don't think we really had any dealings with the other clubs in Bradford, most of them were in the West Riding County Amateur League.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:14 pm 

CALDERDALE
aka Halifax. Neither Ossett side really played Halifax that often in pre season matches. When they were relegated from the Football League the first time, they had to enter a team in the West Riding County Cup, which understandably underwhelmed by, though they still beat us 5-1. A couple of years later we met in the FA Cup, Halifax were making a big push for promotion out of the Conference and we had achieved our joint best ever performance in the FA Cup, reaching the 3rd round qualifying. It was our cup final so we went out to enjoy the day. The bus carrying us parked up in the car park at The Shay and while we were sitting there waiting for someone to make a decision on what to do next, some local numpty invited himself onto the bus, "who are you lot?" "Ossett Town" "never heard of you" "you have now" "where's Ossett?" "near Dewsbury" "where's Dewsbury?" "f*** off" at which point Keith Danby, tired of this witty repartee, decided to practice his cricketing skills by bouncing some sweets of this idiot's head, after the third M&M landed on his forehead, the numpty uninvited himself off the bus to general laughter. Some of us headed for a pub nearby called "The Shayman" were the locals scowled at us but left us alone. Back at the ground, more witty repartee "we're opening a new bar called Weavers, we could have opened today but we're saving it for Stevenage Borough next week" that's us told then, we're not as important as Stevenage Borough cue more laughter from us. Halifax Town were clearly a class act, they were 4-0 up at half time and if they had kept up the pressure it could have got very silly, but as it was they eased off and it finished 5-0. But not before some of our number had had a bit more fun with Halifax. Days later our treasurer Dave Huggins told me about what had gone on in the boardroom at half time, evidently the Halifax directors introduced themselves along the lines of "this is so and so, he runs such and such company", "this is Joe Bloggs, he runs Bloggs International etc". Firthy was unimpressed by all this and when it came to introducing the Ossett officials he announced with a straight face that he "ran an engineering firm in Ossett which employs over a 1000 people". Dave Huggins had to turn and face the other way to stop himself laughing aloud.

Halifax Town eventually came to sticky end, all that is well documented, out of that mess came FC Halifax Town, their visit to Ossett albion must have been a first for the Albion, in that the West Yorkshire Police had to deploy their helicopter as well as two public order vans. I live near the Albion ground and it certainly woke me up, hearing sirens and helicopters flying low. Later I saw the pictures on the internet, Andy Lightfoot and Mick Easter having to shield the ref from flying cans of lager at the end of the match, while apparently Halifax and Leeds fans were slugging it out on the cricket pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm 

KIRKLEES
aka Huddersfield and the bits of the Heavy Woollen that Huddersfield don't really want anything to do with. Huddersfield Town also regularly sent teams to Ossett, especially when Gerry Murphy, the former Bradley Rangers manager, was running Huddersfield's youth development. I remember the merriment amongst the old timers down at Albion when someone read out Huddersfield's team "what did he say? Junior Bent? really? there's someone called Junior Bent?". Not being a Huddersfield fan myself, their teams passed me by, it didn't really mean much to me. One of the last times Huddersfield came to Ossett Town was when Lou Macari was manager and Joe Jordan was his assistant. I don't normally intimidate easily, but when I saw Joe Jordan walking towards me and I realised I was in his way, I quickly moved to one side, he might be 20 years older than me but he still looked handy, as he showed a few years later while working for Tottenham Hotspur and he took an head butt to the face from an AC Milan player and didn't flinch.

Huddersfield's groundsman, Ray Chappell, used to help Firthy look after the Ossett Town pitch. He'd come across once every few weeks (more often during the summer) and give Firthy some advice and do a bit himself on the pitch. Firthy wanted Huddersfield to use Ingfield for their reserve team, I don't know how far that idea went, but it never happened, which was a shame, it could brought in a lot of revenue.

Other clubs in Kirklees we met often were Bradley Rangers, who we met in the 1982 West Riding County Cup with Karl Lenaghan in their goal. Bradley closed down in early 1993 after some financial problems. Liversedge were always a pain in the backside, we could never get a win at Clayborn, we went about 20 years without winning there. I know they are having problems at the moment, so good luck to them.

There was another outfit called Brook Sports, they were a Dewsbury team who played on a pitch near where Dewsbury Hospital is now in Staincliffe. The company is still going but their football team finished a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm 

WAKEFIELD
"you missed Emley, they are Kirklees". I know, but I'm sticking them in here as punishment for believing that rubbish about Wakefield being the largest city without a Football League club (it isn't, it's Salford).

Emley swept all before them in the Huddersfield League, the Yorkshire League, the NCEL and were on the verge of cleaning up the NPL under Ronnie Glavin, when they decided to play a few games at Belle Vue, home of Wakefield Trinity RLFC to see if there was a possibility of moving to Wakefield permanently. Initially the move was good. At the end of the first season, Emley were in the hunt for the NPL title and promotion to the conference. Their rivals for promotion were Stalybridge Celtic and as it happened, the two were due to meet in Emley's last match of the season, at Belle Vue. Stalybridge had one more game left to play, at Radcliffe I think. Ossett Town were playing Workington in a meaningless end of season fixture, so I took myself down to Wakefield. First sign something up was as the bus passed the Six chimneys pub on Kirkgate, a public order van was parked up outside and I found out later a Stalybridge "fan" tried to headbutt one of the bar staff. There were other public order vans roaming around and as we got down Doncaster Road, we could see a heavy police presence, including horses and dogs outside Belle Vue. Anybody with drink had their bottles poured down the drains. Some Barnsley fans near me waiting to get in the ground (they were playing Bolton in an evening kick off) said they never saw police like this at Oakwell. It turns out the reason for the heavy police presence was that Manchester United were away at Middlesbrough and the police had reports that some United fans were diverting to Wakefield to confront Leeds fans coming back from their dinner time game v Chelsea at Elland Road. Given that Chelsea have been known to call in at Wakefield as well, no wonder the police were edgy, especially with hundreds of Stalybridge crossing the pennines which would be a good cover for United fans.

the game was a tight affair, Emley took the lead, but then Stalybridge came back with 2 late goals to win the game, they confirmed promotion later in the week with a win at Radcliffe. From where I was standing, on the north bank, I could see the mounted police behind the executive boxes (costa del agbrigg). The mounted police suddenly formed up near the end of the game and started trotting fast onto Doncaster Road and heading back into Wakefield. The game ended and I went back into Wakefield myself, catching the bus back to Ossett. We passed Westgate station just as the mounted police were trotting towards the station and in the station car park were several black marias, police all over the place bundling skinheads into the back of the black marias, no wonder the horses were moving. Again I found later they were the Man United fans, police managed to intercept them before they got into the pubs on Westgate and in town.

They had their moments after did Emley, later to be known as Wakefield & Emley and Wakefield-Emley. I remember cup games with Burton Albion and Yeovil Town, but when they were relegated to Division 1, I didn't bother watching them again after that. They took over the old Wakefield rugby union ground at College Grove and renamed themselves Wakefield, but when that move failed, they ground shared with Ossett Town for a year but eventually closing down. Those people from Emley who didn't want to move to Wakefield stayed at the Welfare ground and formed AFC Emley.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:40 pm 

WAKEFIELD part 2
we were playing Glasshoughton Welfare one day, I was on the gate, I saw Glasshoughton's secretary trying to cross Prospect Road with a sack full of footballs. Rather than see him struggle through the turnstile with this sack of balls (and it was a big sack too, missus) I decided to open the gates and let him in that way. He trundled through and as he turned to me, I thought he was going to say "thank you". oh no, no thank you from Mr red faced chip on his shoulder about everything Glasshoughton secretary, what I got was a mouthful of invective and a prolonged mouthful of invective too. "well, what a little charmer you are" I might have said to myself, or I might have said to myself "you ****ing little ****er" as I started to walk towards him, all the while he continued to badmouth me for no discernible reason. Out of nowhere our chairman appears and ushers me away back to the turnstile while the potty mouthed beetroot continued to pour opprobrium in my general direction. After the game, I'm helping the chairman get the old clubhouse ready for a function, moving the pool tables etc out of the secretary's room steps our gallant hero. and wouldn't you know it, he starts up again, another round of verbal diarrhoea, this time Firthy ushers him out of the way. I never did find out what I had done/not done to arouse his ire.

Worst game of football I ever watched was a floodlit cup match v Pontefract Collieries. The NCEL, in their wisdom, decided to have a tournament for those clubs with floodlights, they were midweek games, mainly in October and November and it was mainly West Yorkshire sides, so the two Ossett's , Pontefract, Farsley, Emley, thackley I think and someone else split into two groups. It was not a success. managers were not interested, players not interested, supporters not interested. Our game v Pontefract was a freezing cold night, our lads weren't bothered, Ponte weren't bothered, I found myself standing rather too close to some Pontefract fans. They were not happy. They were not happy with anything. They were not happy with everything. And they let all and sundry in close and not so close proximity know they were not happy. for the full 90 minutes. I was young and daft then. later, I learned it was just better to walk away and leave them to it.

Frickley Athletic always operated on a different plane to us, we were mainly Yorkshire League/NCEL, they were Midland League, Cheshire League then NPL and Conference. Not in the same county FA's so never met at that level, only time our paths crossed was the occasional transfer of players. Despite the best efforts of one or two people to whip up some hatred, when we did play Frickley in the NPL Premier Division for a few brief years, the so called local rivalry was half hearted at best. We were too wrapped up in our own problems to be too bothered about other clubs, I don't think Frickley fans, deep down were really all that bothered about us.

years ago Ossett Town used to play South Kirkby Colliery, Upton Colliery also had a team in the Yorkshire League, while Slazengers (who later became Horbury Town) also had a team in the Yorkshire League for a short time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 pm 

BARNSLEY
Barnsley always sent a team to Ossett, both Albion and Town regularly played them. There is a photo knocking about of a very young Graham Firth stood behind the bar showing Bobby Collins, the Barnsley coach then manager how to pull a pint. The Barnsley teams of that era reflected their managers - Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter and then Bobby Collins. Players like Mick McCarthy didn't mess around and some of the games between Ossett Town and Barnsley were no nonsense affairs, especially given the strong connections we have with the Barnsley area. We've always signed players from Barnsley, I remember Firthy showing me a letter written by John Carter back in the 1930's, inviting an un named player from Barnsley to come and play for Ossett Town. One of the last games I saw against Barnsley at Ingfield was in Gary Brook's time, it was a feisty affair and some of the Barnsley youngsters weren't really up for it, but our keeper Neil Bennett still ended up being carted off to hospital with a suspected broken neck, though thankfully it was just bruising. Barnsley coach Glyn Hodges (ex Wimbledon and Sheffield United) brought himself on as a sub near the end his only meaningful contribution to the game was to spark a mass brawl.

Another fixture that could be guaranteed to see sparks fly was Worsbrough Bridge. We tended to not meet them all that often, but we did play occasionally in pre season games. I remember Lee Maguire getting into a scrap with half a dozen Worsbrough players and the only help he got was off Jock Sayers. Later, we played them in the FA Cup and we deservedly lost to them, their manager Alan Billingham enjoying the moment by snatching the photo of our West Riding County Cup winning team in 1982 off the wall and running around the clubhouse with it, with the Worsbrough players cheering him on. Later, one of our officials was told to leave the club after getting into an argument with a Worsbrough official and making derogatory remarks about his personal hygiene.

There were other teams in the Barnsley area, Woolley Miners Welfare (strictly speaking in Wakefield), Wombwell Sporting association (later Wombwell town) and Grimethorpe MIners Welfare. Now you have Shaw Lane going through the divisions.