It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: random mutterings - 2016-17 season
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 pm 

our reward for beating Billingham Synthonia in the FA Cup is a home tie with FC United of Manchester.

In reply to a snide question on twitter about whether we are going to raise our admission prices, someone from Ossett Town has replied that we will be keeping the prices the same. Clearly memories are long in Manchester, remembering a few years ago when we tried to fleece them at the gate and in the bar, but it backfired on the club as very few people actually went into the bar that day and the stewards we borrowed from Dewsbury Rams were all stood about twiddling their thumbs.

That regime is long gone, I doubt the committee now would even dream of pulling a stunt like that.

Post subject: Re: random mutterings - 2016-17 season
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am 

Good to hear, SO. Tbh I had forgotten about 'all that' a few years ago and did wonder what the hell the tweeter was on about.
Anyway. Ossett and real ale.
Train to Dewsbury then Bus or Taxi to ground? Same (in reverse) after the game?
Please advise re the Ale stops!
Cheers! :wink:

Stand for something-or you will fall for anything

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:30 pm 

there's the West Riding pub at Dewsbury Railway station, that's won a few CAMRA awards, though it gets a bit busy on a Saturday with the Rail Ale Trail. The bus station is down the hill (Wellington Street & South Street) from the railway station, about a 2 minute walk, there's taxi ranks outside both rail and bus stations. 126 or 127 buses both go to Ossett bus station, takes about 20 minutes at most. In Ossett, the taxi rank is on Dale Street, just around the corner from our ground (going towards the Co-op).

As for real ale in Ossett, the club have Ossett Brewery on; Maypole usually have a couple of hand pulls on, I can't really comment on the others in the town centre, I don't go into the Horse &Jockey, Tawny Owl or the Bock & Cottle :wink: (internet censors love that pub's real name)

For Real Ale fans, Ossett Brewery's own pubs are The Tap (going towards Ossett Albion) and Old Vic on Manor Road in South Ossett; there's also the Red Lion on Dewsbury Road which also has its own brewery.

Word of warning though, Leeds are away at Cardiff, so some of the village idiots might be about.

Where ever you end up I hope you enjoy yourselves.

cheers! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:18 pm 

reading the Evening Post the other night, the match between Chester and Guiseley was briefly mentioned, I noticed Jon Worsnop was in goal for Chester. "that's a blast from the past" as Firthy would have said. Digging around various sources, he played for us in the 2006-07 season when Steve Kittrick was manager. He had played for Bradford City, Chester City, Aberystwyth Town, Droylsden, Leigh Genesis, Bradford Park Avenue and Witton Albion before joining us, he wasn't with us for long, but he was clearly a very good keeper and for some reason was nicknamed "Spider". Like most Ossett Town players who did well at that time, he came to the attention of the bigger paying clubs and he went back to Bradford Park Avenue, later linking up again with Kitty at Guiseley. From there he went to FC United of Manchester and then Alfreton Town, for whom he played 23 games in the 2013-14 season. He joined Chester in 2014 and played 42 games in 2014-15 and last season played 34 games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:33 pm 

the "on this day" feature on twitter had various matches from the last 30 years or so, none of which I could remember, apart from 1991 when we beat Selby Town 2-0, in the League Cup. This was noteworthy because we couldn't win a home match at all and the Selby game was our first win at home that season. Our first home win in the league came in about February I think and might have been against Denaby, but I could be wrong.

This season seems to be turning out not too badly so far, I reckon we would have to go back to 2001-02 to find the last time we were this high in a division. Hopefully we can maintain this good form and go into christmas and new year with plenty of optimism.

and as for the Albion, oh dear.... :D too many ex Townies I think :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 am 

There will hopefully be an 'on this day' every day from now on - information thanks to stuff from this forum.

I have comprehensive results from the early 80s from when we joined the NCEL but nothing from before apart from FA Competitions. I will be researching previous to that now I have the time to spare

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:14 pm 

on this day in 1995 we were held to a 2-2 by Borrowash Victoria in the League Cup, memorable to me because a committee man (who shall remain nameless) near the end of the game was urging Borrowash to get a third goal. An incredulous Ossett supporter couldn't believe what he was hearing "why do you want them to win?" he asked, "because I don't want to go down there next week" was our hero's response. The game finished 2-2 and the replay did take place the following week, but someone didn't realise Borrowash's colours were actually red & white, so we had to borrow Borrowash's yellow change kit. Borrowash won the game, 2-1 I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:51 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 pm 

On this day in 1991 we got hammered 6-1 at home by Maltby Miners Welfare. No complaints about the result, they were by far the better team. As I mentioned the other day about the Selby game, we just couldn't win at home that season and we had one or two heavy defeats. A few weeks later, we were beaten 0-5 by North Shields, easily the best side I ever saw in the NCEL. After that game, some of the North Shields fans were in our clubhouse having a pint. One elderly gent was close to tears as he told me "everywhere we go, people say we're the best team they have seen", proud as punch he was and he was quite right to be proud as well. Not that I was in the mood to be generous publicly, I turned to him and said "but you only scored 5 today, Maltby scored 6 a couple of weeks ago" and wandered off to another part of the clubhouse, the poor fella was baffled, I could hear him saying in his strong Geordie accent "Maltby? Maltby?".

If I recall rightly a lot of those Maltby players later turned out for Denaby United when they won the NCEL title in 1997.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 pm 

on this day 1994, we lost to Arnold Town. Arnold had thrashed Denaby 10-1 a few weeks earlier and were doing very well, so we were under no illusions about this game. Arnold had a strong Notts County connection, their manager was the Irish International, Ray O'Brien and he was assisted by Iain McCulloch and Bill Brindley; former Leicester player Mark Goodwin played for them. But the name everyone was talking about was Chris Freestone, he scored 5 against Denaby and ended the season with over 40 goals as Arnold finished 2nd in the league. Lincoln United were the League champions and were promoted to the NPL, Arnold's ground would not have passed the NPL ground grading and I don't think they ever really challenged for the title again after 1995.

Freestone later joined Middlesbrough, reputedly on the recommendation of former Ossett Town boss Dave Leadbeater, who was scouting for Boro. Freestone later played for Carlisle and Northampton before returning to non league. He joined Ossett Town on loan from Ilkeston Town when Steve Richards was boss. He later returned to Arnold as manager I think, but that was a while ago.

Congratulations to our lads today, now up to 3rd place. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 pm 

on this day 2001, we lost 1-2 at Gretna. Gretna for a few years had been agitating to join the Scottish League and in 2002 they were finally accepted. If I am not mistaken, their last game in English football was at Ossett Albion, I game I watched (Town were at Radcliffe that night). With some money behind them, Gretna shot through the Scottish League and ended up in the Premier League, playing the likes of Celtic and Rangers, but they had to play those games at Motherwell. They also reached Europe, playing in the UEFA Cup against Derry City. The man with the money, Brooks Mileson sadly died after a long spell of illness and his family ended their involvement with Gretna. They went bust and re-formed in the South of Scotland League.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:32 pm 

for some reason when I mentioned that Derry v Gretna game, I thought our former keeper Neil Bennett played in that game, but I was wrong and it was actually David Forde, who later played for Millwall amongst others.

Neil's brief spell with Derry was actually at the start of the 2003-04 season, though for Derry, playing in the League of Ireland it was in the middle of their season, the Irish having switched to summer football around that time.

Neil had played for Rochdale at the end of the 2002-03 season and according to Steve Phillipps book about Rochdale players, Neil then had a trial with Coventry City in the summer of 2003. Derry's regular keeper Wayne Russell had been injured and his reserve, Alan Gough had been suspended, so the Derry boss Dermot Keely needed a keeper for their trip to Cyprus to play Apoel Nicosia. I've no idea how these things work, clearly phone calls were made and somewhere along the line, Neil, presumably a free agent after leaving Rochdale ended up on a plane to Derry.

the game with Apoel was scheduled for August 14th, but Derry received a call out of the blue from Barcelona asking for a friendly. Barcelona had been in England playing in friendlies at Leicester and Manchester City but wanted another friendly on August 12th. Derry couldn't really say no despite their impending trip to Cyprus so Barcelona turned up at Derry's Brandywell Park ground with all their stars on show and former Ossett Town keeper Neil Bennett in Derry's goal.

The final score was 5-0 to Barcelona, Mexican defender Rafael Marquez opened the scoring, Swede Patrik Andersson scored the second, then former Juventus man Gerard Lopez got the third, Argentinian Javier Saviola got the fourth while Brazilian legend Ronaldinho hit the fifth. Also playing that night were Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert and Barca's legendary left back Carlos Puyol.

Two days later, Derry lost the first leg of their UEFA cup tie with Apoel by 2 goals to 1, Neil was in goal for that game; but he did not play in the 2nd leg, Derry brought back Alan Gough as Derry lost 0-3 at home to Apoel. Apoel lost to Mallorca in the next round, Mallorca reached the quarter finals losing to Newcastle United, who lost to Marseille in the semi finals, Marseille then lost to Valencia in the final.

Barcelona also played in the UEFA cup that season, losing to Celtic. In La Liga, Barcelona finished runners up to the champions Valencia.

According to the Rochdale book, after Neil left Derry, he joined Skelmersdale United, but by September Neil was playing for Albion Rovers in the Scottish League, making 28 appearances that season.

another stream of consciousness another time, soon :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:27 pm 

Much of the stuff about Neil Bennett's time at Derry came from the Rothman's yearbook for 2005 and various websites, notably BBC reports from that time.

at the start of the 2003-04 I was probably more pre-occupied with what was going on at Ossett Town, we certainly were living in interesting times after Gary Brook's departure during the summer. We appointed the unknown Scott Cooper, whose coaching and management experience was mainly in the Caribbean, though he had been with Chester City for a time. Scott used his contacts to sign quite a few players from African countries. I was pretty good at Geography at school but even I hadn't heard of some of these countries we were signing players from.

One morning at work I was talking to one of my colleagues about all the signings we had made, I mentioned we had signed a player from a place called Burundi, my colleague, who was a knowledgeable man, also hadn't heard of Burundi, and so, because it was a bit quiet at work and the boss hadn't turned up yet, I went onto the internet to see where Burundi was. Now, it's never a good idea to let civil servants loose on the internet, we had heard of an incident at our Huddersfield office where one man had been disciplined for spending all day looking at Shania Twain websites, so it shouldn't have been much of a surprise that something would go badly wrong when I put Burundi into the search engine. Immediately up came this official looking badge with eagles and whatnot, "what the heck is this?" I said. my colleague moved across to have a closer look, at that point we realised i had logged into the CIA website. "oh sugar" said me as my colleague burst out laughing and I hurriedly logged out and got back to our normal screen.

And the player we signed from Burundi never played for us, we couldn't get international clearance and Scott Cooper left us after a couple of months to be replaced by Steve Richards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm 

Scott Cooper was manager of the Anguilla national team, another place I had never heard of, in fact I double checked that at the time just to make sure it wasn't Antigua. I was reminded of all this the other day, channel hopping on the satellite, I started watching an English language Japanese news programme and they were talking about the scandal that quickly erupted last year about the offshore bank accounts in Panama (and quickly disappeared from the news presumably when someone dug down a bit deeper and found something they didn't want to find :wink: ). Apparently Anguilla is very popular with Japanese companies as an off shore tax haven.

Looking at the official Ossett Town website, I was wondering why they had a photo of Greg Norman's younger brother until I read the article and realised it was our former defender Peter Cooke. That's what 20 years of Aussie sunshine and living the dream does to you. I assume those photos and old programmes were from his own collection, I probably sold him that programme from the 1995-96 season.

Enjoy your Christmas, I know I will :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 pm 

those photos and whatnot from Peter Cooke, that 1985-86 photo - I could only put 5 names for sure to that photo, on the back row 2nd from left is Andy Nicholson, 3rd from right is Andy Mitchell; bottom row, far left is Paul Murphy, 2nd from left is steve Whitelam, 3rd left I think is Paul Riordan and 2nd right is Paul Watson. The others I just can't put a name to the face.

The 1986-87 programme v Wombwell, Mark Thomas was a Welshman who lived in Leeds, he came back to us in the 90's and played in the reserves; Mark Greenwood?; Peter Cooke; Ian Burgin; Chris Gomersall played for Ossett Albion and Ossett Common Rovers; Alan Roberts played for a few clubs around Yorkshire, including Bridlington Town; Paul Watson spent many years with us; Andy Mitchell later managed Ossett Albion reserves; Darren Medland a scouser who later played for Glasshoughton; Alan Colquhoun came from Horbury and also played for Ossett Albion, managed Nostell Miners Welfare in recent years; A Bedford I think is Tony Bedford; Nigel Ancliff.

In the Wombwell team M Beaumont might be Martin Beaumont who later played for Ossett Town. We had quite a few players from the Barnsley area particularly in the 80's, so some of the others in that Wombwell may also have played for us.

The 1995-96 programme v Sheffield - I have mentioned the 1995-96 season before on previous threads, looking at that squad it looks like Wayne was having problems putting a team out, Andy Nicholson, Shaun Denham and Andy Watson were usually reserve players while one of our "big money" signings Stuart McKenzie was not playing, presumably injured. Alan ward and Gabbiadini were our other "big money" players (they weren't on that much, but they were still paid more than the local lads, which created its own tensions).

The Sheffield team, no familiar names there at all, apart from Peter Cooke and possibly Andy Hibbert who might have played for Ossett Albion.

The match report v Fryston mentions Dave Heeley aka Pelter. He came out of local football in Dewsbury and he was a very popular character, many years later Firthy admitted that telling Dave Heeley he was being replaced by Micky Bullock was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do. Dave later worked for Guiseley as Gordon Rayner's assistant and took part in their successes of the early 1990's.

When Bullock took over, he pretty much brought in a whole new team, so the first team from the 1986-87 season became the reserves for the 1987-88 season, though the likes of Lloyd Fellows and Paul Watson did eventually get into Bullock's team.

:mrgreen: