It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: Re: THE SHAYMAN COMETH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 pm 

Location: NOTE FOR THE SMALL MINDED: My views are my own and do not reflect those of any other Halifax fans.
SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:
Micky went to work for Pennine Radio, commentating on Halifax and Bradford City games, he was in the commentary box on that ill fated day when Bradford City played Lincoln City at the end of the 1984-85 season.

He later managed Goole Town in the NPL and arrived at Ossett Town in 1987. After he left us in 1991, he did some scouting for Hereford United, Portsmouth and Crystal Palace. He worked in insurance and still kept an interest in his old clubs, he was interviewed by the authors of the official history of Leyton Orient and I know he was well aware of what was happening with Ossett Town during Gary Brook's reign.

I was listening to the station at the time, unaware that live pictures were going out on TV. I believe Micky and his co-commentator were broadcasting about the fire from the stand right up to the moment when that fireball rolled across the back of the stand (the "flashover"). Micky politely interrupted his colleague to suggest it was "time to get out of here".

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:48 pm 

http://bradfordcityfire.co.uk/category/radio/

unfortunately the sound on my computer is not working, I did listen to it on the radio at the time but I can't remember whether it was Pennine Radio or Radio Leeds. I do remember listening to the police emergency channel (still legal to do that at the time), all the mayhem getting emergency units to Bradford, then all the bother with Leeds fans coming back up the M1 from Birmingham. A bad, bad day. Sadly, it needed Hillsborough before anyone started really taking these issues seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:02 pm 

one of Micky's team mates at Birmingham was a young winger called Denis Thwaites, who came from Stockton on Tees and played for England Schools 5 times, including against West Germany, He joined Birmingham and made his first team debut v Swindon in a League Cup match. He suffered badly with nerves and in his 12 years at Birmingham made only 95 appearances, scoring 21 goals. He retired in 1972, but later played in the Birmingham Works League for Rover FC, who were based in Solihull. Later on, he moved to Blackpool and worked as a hospital porter. His nephew, Steve Lilwall, played for Kidderminster Harriers and West Bromwich Albion. Denis and his wife Elaine were amongst the 30 British tourists murdered on Friday 26 June in Tunisia, 38 died in all. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 pm 

here's a useless fact. When Bullock was a young apprentice at Birmingham, one of the first team strikers was called Robin Stubbs. He joined Torquay in 1963 and later played for Bristol Rovers. Stubbs' claim to fame was that he was married to Anthea Redfern, who left him to marry Bruce Forsyth, who she worked with on "The Generation Game".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 pm 

I made a brief mention of Major Frank Buckley early on, here's a quiz question for you, what connects Major Frank Buckley with Clint Eastwood? Frank Buckley's sister, Emily, was married to Oscar Angell, a Manchester born script writer and the couple went to live in the USA, where Oscar, using the name Buckley Angell, worked as a scriptwriter on various western movies and tv programmes, including Rawhide, which starred the young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates.