It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: Re: FLYING AMONG THE STARS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:41 pm 

For this thread, I have relied heavily on various books about Newcastle written by Paul Joannou. I have consulted books about Huddersfield Town (Terry Frost), Rotherham United (Gerry Somerton) and Scottish League players (Richard Beal and Steve Emms), as well as other books previously mentioned in other threads.

back to the lower divisions for my next article.

Post subject: Re: FLYING AMONG THE STARS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:34 pm 

while researching something else, I found some info that would have been useful while preparing the piece about Len White. As mentioned, Len was picked twice for the Football League team. The first game, against the Irish League at Liverpool in November 1958, the team was as follows: Colin McDonald (Burnley), Roy Hartle (Bolton), Graham Shaw (Sheffield United), John Wheeler (Liverpool), Joe Shaw (Sheffield United), Wilf McGuinness (Man United), Danny Clapton (Arsenal), Jimmy Harris (Everton), Len White (Newcastle), John Haynes (Fulham), Alan A'Court (Liverpool). The Football League won 5-2, Len scored an hat trick, Haynes and A'Court also scored. A couple of points, I mentioned Derek Clapton with regards to England players earlier in this thread, there is no such player, I should have said Danny Clapton. The presence of Joe Shaw in this team might be of interest to who ever will write the history of Upton Colliery, because both Joe and Len both played for Upton Colliery, a side that spent only a few years in the Yorkshire League before and after the war yet two of their players were both selected to play for what was effectively England's second team.

Len's other game was against the Scottish League at Highbury in March 1960. This was one of those rare games when non English men were picked for the Football League side. The team was: Jack Kelsey (Arsenal & Wales), Jimmy Armfield (Blackpool), Ronnie Moran (Liverpool), Bobby Robson (West Brom), Tony Knapp (Leicester), Dave Mackay (Tottenham & Scotland), Peter Hooper (Bristol Rovers), Jimmy Bloomfield (Arsenal), Len White (Newcastle), Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea) and Cliff Jones (Tottenham & Wales). The Football League won 1-0, Hooper scored the winner.

I don't have any info on the Irish League or Scottish League teams.

The Shayman cometh :wink: