It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: Re: FA TROPHY RESULTS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm 

Our first ever game in the NPL was at Chorley, a few of us were sat in the Chorley clubhouse at half time and the subject of our game at Atherstone cropped up. "where is Atherstone?" someone asked, "Warwickshire" someone else (probably me) replied. "No it isn't" barked a voice at the end of the table, we all turned to look at Paul Warburton, father of our winger Steve Warburton. "it's near Bolton, I should know, my daughter lives there". No one said anything in reply, we had heard his solemn pronouncements before and had learned to ignore them. Fast forward a couple of weeks to the trip to Atherstone. We're at Ingfield, all the players and officials are gathered, ready to board the bus. Except one. "where's Warby?" growled Brooky, pacing up and down with a phone in his hand; no one answered, I glanced at one of the other supporters who had been sat near me at Chorley, he had a grin on his face but he didn't say anything, I wondered if he was thinking the same as me. We got to Atherstone, still no sign of Warby and his father, we played the match, won 3-0 and I asked the question afterwards in the bar to another supporter, "you think he went to Atherton?" "no idea" came the answer "I daren't ask Brooky". No one dare say anything to Brooky, and we never saw Warby at Ossett Town ever again.

The Doncaster game has been mentioned a few times on this forum (and other Ossett Town forums). I had heard the expression "blind drunk" but never really understood it until I saw some of the Donny supporters in our clubhouse before the game. One of them was so drunk, he couldn't see where he was going and walked into a chair and fell other. The other Donny supporters either ignored him or jeered at him. We found out later a lot of them had been drinking in Wakefield before coming to Ossett. There were a few other incidents, in the ground and in the town centre and the police ordered our bar to be shut during the game and not to re-open until all the Donny fans were out of Ossett. It re-opened about half an hour after the game had finished.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 pm 

Our first ever trip to Stafford ended in a deserved defeat, Brooky was growling on the way down because on his last visit to Stafford, while on loan to Kettering from Blackpool, he suffered a broken leg. It was his only game for Kettering. Some of us went into one of the stands and were stood near the Stafford supporters, our retired ex physio Cliff Bayton starts winding them up and goading them, at which point I said "you're on your own there" and walked away, his mate little Pete also followed me out of the stand saying "he does it every time, he has to wind them up". The journey home was an arduous one (via M6 and M62), as we rejoined the M1 at Lofthouse, the coach carrying Hinckley United came flying past, they had just lost to Blyth Spartans, who were to be Stafford's opponents in the next round.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 pm 

The Hyde game I don't really remember, and I didn't go to the replay. I think this was the game we were winning 2-0 and Hyde came back to win 3-2, Brooky apparently went ballistic in the changing rooms and kept the players in for the best part of an hour. That wasn't the first time he did that, he did it after a game at Witton Albion, he kept them in the changing rooms that long, the young girls serving the food thought the Ossett players had gone straight home, we had to tell them to keep the food ready because they were still in the changing rooms getting told off. Apparently after the Hyde game Peter Wilkinson had to carry plates of sandwiches onto the coach because the players didn't have time to go into the Hyde clubhouse and jumped straight onto the coach.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:05 pm 

We had had a change of manager for the start of the 2003-04 season, and we had started badly, losing 7 out of our first 8 games. We travelled down to Matlock and I wandered off into town, had a look around (and very nice it was too) and then called in at the Weatherspoons for a couple of pints of Courage Director's (and very nice they were too). I went back to the ground, I stood away from the other Ossett supporters during the match, we lost 0-2 and afterwards in the clubhouse I found out that the boss, Scott Cooper and his assistant Nick Richardson had both resigned. One committee man even suggested they had resigned before the game, so what that was about I don't know. I think Lindsay Dawson was caretaker for the next 2 or 3 games then we appointed Steve Richards as manager.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:14 pm 

Rocester is probably one of our more embarrassing defeats, losing to a team who had won one game up to that point and then never won another game for the rest of the season. It started badly on the journey down. We had arranged to pick up Steve Richards and all the Humberside players at a service station near Chesterfield, we also had new signing James Nestor and he was going to link up with us at Woodall. Unfortunately Nestor went to Woolley services instead and after some frantic phone calls with Rico he drove down to Rocester, which is not the easiest place to get to. The route we took went past the giant Toyota factory near Derby and then past the JCB factory in Uttoxter, the ground itself was down a country lane which had our coach driver growling as he did a 33 point turn to get down there. After the game the coach driver's mood was even less jovial as we drove through Derby and got stuck in traffic going to a big bonfire display.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:33 pm 

Late in the 2007-08 season, our manager Steve Kittrick jumped before he was pushed and took over as Guiseley manager. this was a big surprise to everyone, not least the Guiseley supporters and "Kitty" had a job on to win them over. He had plenty of financial backing from Guiseley's directors and he signed up a number of our players, including the likes of David Briggs and James Cotterill. We met Guiseley 4 times during the 2008-09 season, 3 of those games at Nethermoor. Guiseley beat us quite convincingly at Ingfield, but we defeated Guiseley in all 3 of those games at Guiseley, in the league, trophy and County Cup. One of the games Kitty lost his rag at some abuse he was getting off the friends and relatives of one of our players, so he ran around the pitch to confront them. Kitty had the last laugh anyway, Guiseley won the league title and won promotion to the Conference North.

After we beat Guiseley in the Trophy, we met Fleetwood Town. Our last match at Ingfield against Fleetwood at the start of the 2006-07 season had been a bad tempered affair with 2 mass brawls and 3 sending offs; but by 2008-09 Fleetwood were in the Conference North, and though they sent a strong side, including George Santos, they weren't really that bothered about the game and we won comfortably 3-1. Santos had nearly joined Ossett Town the previous summer, but Fleetwood made him an offer he couldn't refuse (allegedly £600 a week) and quite understandably he joined them instead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 pm 

By the time we met Willenhall Town, I had already watched my last game of football (though I didn't realise it at the time). I was in hospital when this game was played, it was another embarrassing defeat to a lower level team and it wasn't until recently, when looking back through some of the earlier posts on this forum, that I realised that the Willenhall game had been the catalyst for yet another round of trouble within the club. Our physio John Kent had evidently fallen out after the game with the manager Paul Lines (who had already had a bust up weeks earlier in the car park with the then joint manager Mick Couzens). John left the club but remained on this forum and there was some pretty unpleasant "banter" on here between the various factions.

That's one thing I don't miss about Ossett Town, the in fighting. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it could be very upsetting, especially when blatant lies were told. I get the impression the club is run on more positive lines now, which can only be good for the future.

If anyone's been affected by the drivel I have spouted over recent months, feel free to ring The Samaritans.