It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: FA CUP RESULTS (PART 2)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 pm 

I know I'm covering ground I already mentioned in that other admittedly rather self indulgent thread a few months ago, but i'll put all the 90's FA Cup results in one place on this thread

1990-91

preliminary round

Knowsley United 1 Ossett Town 1

replay

Ossett Town 2 Knowsley United 3

we finished 8th out of 16 in the NCEL Premier Division.

Knowsley, who used to be known as Kirkby Town, were North West Counties League champions this season, they won promotion to the NPL. They also beat us in the FA Vase this same season. In the FA Cup they lost to Colwyn Bay in the next round. Knowsley closed down in 1997

Tottenham Hotspur won the cup this season, beating Nottingham Forest 2-1. Paul Stewart and a Des Walker own goal for Tottenham and Stuart Pearce replied for Forest.

Post subject: Re: FA CUP RESULTS (PART 2)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 pm 

1991-92

preliminary round

Ossett Town 2 North Ferriby United 0

1st Round Qualifying

Ossett Town 0 Southport 1

we finished 12th out of 19 in the NCEL Premier Division.

North Ferriby finished 4th in the same division, they were promoted to the NPL in 2000.

Southport finished 7th in the NPL Premier Division. In the next round, they lost to Stalybridge Celtic. The following season, Southport were NPL champions and won promotion to the Conference.

Liverpool won the FA Cup, beating Sunderland 2-0, Michael Thomas and Ian Rush scoring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 pm 

1992-93

preliminary round

Ossett Town 1 Dunston Federation Brewery 2

we finished 12th out of 20 in the NCEL Premier Division.

Dunston were Northern League Division 2 champions, scoring 139 goals. They beat Norton & Stockton Ancients and South Bank, losing to Northallerton Town in the FA Cup. They also reached the quarter finals of the FA Vase. In 2009, they changed their name to Dunston UTS.

Arsenal won the FA Cup, beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1, after a 1-1 draw in the first game. Ian Wright and David Hirst scored in the first game; Wright, Andy Linighan and Chris Waddle scored in the replay. the semi finals between Arsenal and Tottenham and Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United were the first semi finals to be played at Wembley.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 pm 

1993-94

preliminary round

Ossett Town 5 Harworth Colliery Institute 3

1st round Qualifying

Ossett Town 1 Winsford United 1

replay

Winsford 3 Ossett Town 1

we finished 16th out of 20 in the NCEL Premier Division

Harworth finished 14th in the Central Midlands League Supreme Division

Winsford finished 19th in the NPL Premier Division (they had finished 2nd the previous season). Winsford went on to beat Guiseley and Buxton before losing to Gretna. They were relegate to the North West Counties League in 2001.

Manchester United won the cup, beating Chelsea 4-0; Eric Cantona with 2, Brian McClair and Mark Hughes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:57 pm 

1994-95

Preliminary Round

Ossett Town 0 Mossley 0

replay

Mossley 3 Ossett Town 0

we finished 12th out of 20th in the NCEL Premier Division.

Mossley finished 22nd in the NPL Division 1, they were relegated to the North West Counties League. In the next round, they lost to Northwich Victoria.

Everton won the cup, beating Manchester United 1-0, Paul Rideout scoring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 pm 

1995-96

preliminary round

Ossett Town 3 Castleton Gabriels 2

1st Round Qualifying

Accrington Stanley 2 Ossett Town 1

we finished 15th out of 20 in the NCEL Premier Division

Castleton finished 4th in the NWCL Division 2. They changed their name to Rochdale Town in 2008.

Accrington finished 7th in the NPL Premier Division, they lost to Bradford Park Avenue in the next round.

Manchester United won the cup, beating Liverpool 1-0, Eric scored.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:08 pm 

1996-97

preliminary round

Ossett Town 3 Armthorpe Welfare 1

1st Round qualifying

Buxton 1 Ossett Town 2

2nd round qualifying

Gateshead 5 Ossett Town 1

we finished 8th out of 20 in the NCEL Premier Division.

Armthorpe finished 12th in the same division. the 2014-15 season will be their 30th consecutive season in the NCEL Premier Division.

Buxton were relegated from the NPL Premier Division, they were relegated again the following season to the NCEL.

Gateshead finished 10th in the Conference. They beat Workington in the next round, losing to Consett. Gateshead were relegated back to the NPL IN 1998.

Chelsea beat Middlesbrough 2-0 to win the cup; Roberto Di Matteo and Eddie Newton scored.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm 

1997-98

preliminary round

Seaham Red Star 1 Ossett Town 1

replay

Ossett Town 1 Seaham 0

1st Round Qualifying

Denaby United 2 Ossett Town 3

2nd Round Qualifying

Burscough 1 Ossett Town 4

3rd Round qualifying

Halifax Town 5 Ossett Town 0

we finished 7th out of 20 in the NCEL Premier Division.

Seaham finished 15th in the Northern League Division 1. we lost to them in the FA Vase the following season.

Denaby had been NCEL champions in 1997, but finished 12th this season.

Burscough were runners up in the North West Counties League, winning promotion to the NPL.

Halifax were Conference champions, winning promotion back to the Football League. They lost to Gainsborough Trinity in the next round. The following season, they lost 0-3 to Manchester City in the 1st Round proper.

Arsenal won the cup, beating Newcastle 2-0, Marc Overmars and Nicholas Anelka scored.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:21 pm 

1998-99

preliminary round

Tadcaster Albion 1 Ossett Town 0

we were runners up in the NCEL Premier Division and won promotion to the NPL. :mrgreen:

Tadcaster finished 11th in the NCEL Division 1. They held Armthorpe to a draw in the next round, but Armthorpe were disqualified for some unknown reason, so Taddy went through to 2nd Qualifying Round, where they lost to Farsley Celtic.

Manchester United beat Newcastle United 2-0, Teddy Sheringham and Paul Scholes scored. Man United also won the European Cup and League title that season.

the promised land on another thread next time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:08 pm 

thankfully my memories of this era are fading away, but the occasion odd recollection springs to mind. One year I was asked to open a programme shop at Ossett Town, I dumped a lot of my old stuff in there, as did everyone else at Ossett Town, glad of the chance to clear their drawers and cupboards etc. One supporter brought me a carrier bag full of programmes "cheers Dave" I said. I then looked at what he had brought in, a full collection of Knowsley United programmes from 1990-91 and 1991-92. "Er, cheers Dave, thanks for that" privately wondering 1)who the heck is going to buy any of that and 2) where did Dave get that lot from? (turned out he kept in touch with a Knowsley supporter and they sent each other programmes). As it happened, the shop rarely ever opened, as I was increasingly spending more time helping out at the turnstiles where our regular gateman was starting to struggle a bit with some of the aggressive customers coming into the ground. Most of the programmes were damaged by rain water later on and I had to get rid of them, what was left I sold to a local dealer and ploughed the money into the producing the matchday programme. It was at that point i left the club, after this and one or two other issues with the club.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 pm 

other random memories:

The Southport game in 1991-92 was one of the first in front our new stand, we literally did stand there, the seats didn't arrive for another couple of years, when we bought a truckload from Doncaster Rovers.

The Dunston game in 1992-93, a rumour went round the clubhouse that Paul Gascoigne's father was amongst the dunston supporters, no one knew if this was true or not, or if it was the Dunston supporters winding us up; when I read Gazza's biography years later, I got the impression his father wasn't the slightest bit interested in football, a bit like the Charlton brothers father.

A recent debate in the Wakefield express recently about ambulance response times reminded me of the Winsford game in 1993-94, when after the Winsford keeper broke his leg, it took the ambulance about half an hour to get from Wakefield to Ossett. The Winsford fans accused Ossett Town of deliberately not ringing up for an ambulance, which puzzled us (why would we do that?) but after this and some other non football incidents, the ambulance service started parking an ambulance in Ossett to improve response times.

Mossley in 1994-95 was an eye opener, it was one of the first games where I helped out at the gate, I never realised how bad the shenanigans that go on with folk trying to get into the ground for nothing.

The build up to the Castleton game was amusing. When the draw was announced, the regular gateman said "oh great, i'll go to that one, a trip into the Peak District"; me "we're at home", Dave "you never know, there might be a replay"; me "it will be in Rochdale, this Castleton is in Rochdale" Dave look crestfallen, "are you sure?"; me "yep, looked it up, they play in the North West Counties League". The game itself was no laughing matter, I seem to remember falling out with some of the Castleton people about the (non) issue of free programmes. They wanted some, I wasn't giving away any.

Armthorpe in 1996-97 was another fun occasion (not). the FA had brought in rules about the issue of free tickets, we knew from past experience what the Armthorpe committee were like, so myself and big Gordon Wood, one of former committee men stood at the gate as the Armthorpe party arrived. Predictably they kicked off about the free tickets ( I can't remember what the exact problem was) and started threatening us about what they were going to do us when we visited their place a week later for a league match. I burst out laughing at these threats ( I was going to be doing the reserve game so wasn't travelling to Armthorpe), Gordon wasn't amused and got into a slanging match with a car load of Armthorpe committee.

1997-98 was the year Halifax won the conference. Our trip there was clearly going to be our cup final. Halifax were already at the top and battling with Stevenage. We arrived at The Shay quite early and the team coach parked up their car park. One of the locals, a young lad, invited himself onto the bus while we were getting ready to get off. He starts asking questions "who are you?", "where's that?" and so on. Then he starts bragging about how good Halifax are, and how they have a new clubhouse, but they are not opening today, it will be opened when we play Stevenage and blah blah blah. Keith Danby, father of our centre back Nigel Danby was munching a packet of smarties throughout this stream of consciousness and starting to get annoyed. So he empties the last few smarties out of the packet and with pin point accuracy from the middle of the bus, lands them squarely on the forehead of the apprentice village idiot. After the third smarty hit him, he took the hint and got off the bus, to a huge round of laughter from everyone on the bus.

Years later, the former treasurer Dave Huggins told me the tale of what went on in the directors room at half time. The Halifax chairman introduced himself and his directors to us. Evidently they were all very successful businessmen, running their own companies and so on. Our chairman, Firthy, was obviously unimpressed by what he had heard, so he introduced himself "I run a company in Ossett, making shock absorbers, we have a 1000 people working for us" and so on. Dave said he nearly choked as he heard what Firthy was saying and the look on the Halifax directors faces was one of bewilderment. I don't know if they ever found out Firthy was only a fitter at this shock absorber factory. He had his moments at away matches did Firthy, in our first ever NPL season, we were at Accrington, it was a bad tempered game and Brooky got sent off for an off the ball incident. After the game, some of the Accrington directors were making derogatory remarks to the Ossett officials and supporters. As we were leaving the ground to get on the coach, their chairman stood at the door and shouted abuse at us, something along the lines of being a pub team etc, Firthy quick as a flash replied to him "at least we've never shut down in the middle of a season". The Accrington chairman was speechless (for once) and everyone, even Brooky started laughing.

:mrgreen: