It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHO WASN'T WHO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:19 pm 

just don't ask me for betting tips, I had Alfreton to beat Aldershot and Wigan to beat Millwall tonight :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:49 pm 

South Ossettian, you have way too much time on your hands ! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 pm 

seanmarshallsshorts wrote:
South Ossettian, you have way too much time on your hands ! :D

I did when I was on the committee, I was out of work and spent too much time writing up silly lists full of crap about glorified sunday league players. It's taken me all this time to get round to sorting those lists out and getting rid of them. :oops: If I was out of work now, I'd probably get a 4 week sanction. :cry:

I could never write a book, I'd go mad (officially). No wonder these authors always dedicate their books to their "patient and understanding" families.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:33 pm 

this is the final bit for this section, just a few notes about some people who were on the coaching staff but don't feature in the players or managers sections above.

MICK POLLI
Mick had been player manager at Ardsley Celtic in the County Amateur League for many years and when we appointed Trevor Best as manager, Trevor brought Mick in to be his assistant manager. Mick's own assistant from Ardsley, Roger Brown, also joined us, but he didn't stop long. Mick came from Wakefield and was of Italian descent, he joined Bradford Park Avenue after leaving school, but when they dropped out of the Football League, he joined Ossett Town and was part of the team that won promotion from the Yorkshire League division 3 in 1973. He later played for Rossendale United and Emley before linking up with Ardsley. One of his Ardsley players, John Francis, later joined Halifax Town. He kept in touch with Ossett Town by bringing his Ardsley team down to Ingfield to use our 5 a side pitch for training sessions.

When Trevor Best left, Mick stayed on to assist Gary Brook, becoming first team coach when Brooky brought in Brian Crowther to be his assistant. During this time, though Mick was in his late 40's, he was still playing in the Wakefield Sunday League. It was not unusual either to see Mick and Brian Crowther jogging around Ossett before a training session. In the 2001-02 season, Mick took over the reserve team, but continued to lead the training for all the players, it was while running at the front of the players up Wakefield Road one evening that he collapsed and died. It was a bitter blow for all at the club and of course for his family and friends. One of the players, Mick Amos, wrote a poem that hung on the wall in the clubhouse for a number of years.

BRIAN CROWTHER
Gary Brook brought in his old Ossett Albion team mate as assistant manager. Brian had been manager at Horbury Town in the West Yorkshire League for a few years. As a player, Brian started with Coventry City, then played for Leeds Ashley Road before joining Albion where he spent many years, before taking over as Albion's reserve team manager, eventually joining Horbury. He stayed with Ossett Town until Brooky left in 2003. I think he may have returned to Horbury as manager but that is to be confirmed. I still see Brian around Ossett, I don't know if he is still involved in football.

PETER SWAN
Peter Wilkinson, our "football chairman" (daft title, nice bloke), caused a minor sensation in 2001 when, through his business contacts, he brought in Peter Swan and John Beresford to join the club. Peter had been a pro with Leeds United, Hull City, Port Vale, Plymouth Argyle, Burnley, Bury and York City, before retiring through injury. He had been pottering about in the Wakefield Sunday League with New Inn from Wrenthorpe when he was appointed our first team coach (Mick Polli taking over the reserves job). Peter also signed on as a player, but only played when absolutely required, particularly in a game against Belper when he scored a last minute equaliser with a header from the edge of the penalty area. After Mick's untimely death, Peter took over the reserves for the remainder of the season and left the club when it all erupted after we were turned down for promotion. He later coached Northampton Town's juniors. A few years later, he wrote a book about his career, in which he had a pop at Peter Wilkinson after being turned down for the manager's job in 2003, which instead went to Scott Cooper. Swanny now works for Radio Humberside, commentating on Hull City matches.

WAYNE BENN
Steve Kittrick brought Wayne and Mark Hancock to the club in 2006, initially to run the reserves, but Wayne soon became Kittrick's assistant, and Hancock moved on. Wayne had played for Bradford City, Halifax Town, Bradford Park Avenue and Frickley Athletic. Wayne followed Kittrick to Guiseley in late 2007, but left not long after to return to Bradford Park Avenue as reserve team manager. Lately he has been managing Hemsworth Miners Welfare in the NCEL, where Andy Hayward is his assistant.

and that's yer lot. I'll do an update probably in the summer with any extra info that comes to hand, or any corrections that need to be made.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am 

What about a section on club secretaries :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm 

Spoff wrote:

:lol:

I'm not doing a pen picture on Meg, i'll leave that one to Thomo. I think we all heard quite enough in that first EGM in 2006.

FRANK LLOYD
born in Barnsley in 1928, was an amateur with Leeds United and Barnsley and served with the RAF in Egypt before joining Bradford City in 1951, played 24 games in the old Division 3 North, his last game in 1954 was against Barnsley. Played mainly in Bradford City's reserve team in the old Midland League. Frank was a left half, but the Bradford player manager Ivor Powell, a former Aston Villa & Wales International, was also a left half, so Frank didn't get much of look in. Later played for Bentley Colliery before joining Ossett town in 1959. His two brothers also played for Ossett Town, I think they were called Geoff and Tony, but I could be wrong, one of them later ran Woolley Miners Welfare's football team. When exactly Frank was appointed manager I don't know, he was definitely in charge in the 1971-72 season. Appointed secretary in 1972, he still turned out in reserve games, as well as playing in the Barnsley Sunday League. He had an heart attack after one match in 1978 and later did a lot of charity work around Barnsley for people with heart problems. His day time job was a Weigh Bridge Clerk at Denby Grange Colliery. Rumour has it that at the age of 60, he put his boots on one last time to help our reserves out when they were short of players. By this stage he was a football only secretary, Meg doing all the club stuff. Frank stepped down after our promotion to the Northern Premier League to become an honorary match day secretary. Leaving all the day to day stuff to Trevor Green. He died in 2009, just after being presented with an award from the Football Association for 50 years service to Ossett Town.

GERRY FROGGETT
came to Ossett Town in the late 1970's from Ossett Common Rovers where he had been a player and manager. He was our reserve team secretary for many years, and was vice chairman as well. In his younger days, he had been a highly rated athlete with Wakefield Harriers and a cyclist with some of the local clubs. Gerry died about 1999 I think after an illness.

TREVOR GREEN
came from Bournemouth and had worked for Maidstone United amongst others before his job in the NHS brought him north, was the Radio Leeds non league reporter for a while before joining Ossett Town as football secretary. Left after a year or so and now reputedly with Welsh club Connahs Quay Nomads.

STEVE ANDREWS
former referee and NCEL referees secretary, Steve was from Leeds and a Prison Officer, he lived in Flockton and initially was our reserve team secretary, until taking over from Trevor Green. Was taken ill and sadly died about 2003 I think, he was quite close to Gary Brook, given the Prison Service connection. His son played in our juniors.

BRUCE SAUL
he can speak for himself :wink:

TREVOR JOWITT
what a star. Grandad of Danny Davidson, took over from Bruce, he later worked for Bradford Park Avenue

after that, I'm not right sure, apparently we have some high ranking Grade 6 from the DWP as our secretary these days. :x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am 

SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:
Spoff wrote:

STEVE ANDREWS
former referee and NCEL referees secretary, Steve was from Leeds and a Prison Officer, he lived in Flockton and initially was our reserve team secretary, until taking over from Trevor Green. Was taken ill and sadly died about 2003 I think, he was quite close to Gary Brook, given the Prison Service connection. His son played in our juniors.

He now plays for the under 19's does Chris.

SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:
Spoff wrote:

after that, I'm not right sure, apparently we have some high ranking Grade 6 from the DWP as our secretary these days. :x

Ha, I wish I had a grade 6 pay packet, way,way, waaaaaaaaay below that level!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:04 pm 

I managed to forget Gareth Stoker (easily done), who was our assistant manager when Simon Collins was in charge. Gareth played for Leeds United, Hull City, Bishop Auckland, Hereford United, Cardiff City, Rochdale, Scarborough, Forest Green Rovers, Leigh RMI and was player manager of Wakefield FC.

Also, I think Gerry Froggett was involved in the 70's with a sunday side called Ossett United, I'm not sure which league they were in. I don't know if that's the same side as Ingfield United, who played in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League and played at Ingfield, with a certain G Firth at centre half.

There was another team in the 80's called Ossett Wanderers, they played on the Southdale fields in the Wakefield League and their secretary at the time was Dave Huggins, who later became our treasurer for quite a few years until being taken ill. I think Ossett Wanderers used to be known as Ossett Community Centre.

more random memories to come as they make their way back to the surface.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am 

as mentioned above, our manager from the late 90's, Trevor Best played for Irish side Ards. In 1974 they won the Irish Cup and the following season played in the European Cup Winners Cup. They were drawn to play the Dutch side PSV Eindhoven and the 1st leg was at the Philips Stadium in Eindhoven. Ards lost 10-0. In the 2nd leg 2 weeks later, in Newtonards, Trevor came on as a late sub but PSV won 4-1. In the PSV team was Willy Van Der Kerkof, one of the twin brothers who played for Holland in the 1978 World Cup final v Argentina. Also in the PSV team were Adrie Van Kraay and Harrie Lubse, who were also members of the Dutch 1978 World Cup squad.

The Ards player-manager at this time was Willie Humphries, a former Northern Ireland international who had played in the same team as Danny Blanchflower, Peter McParland, Jimmy McIlroy, Derek Dougan, Terry Neill, Billy Bingham and the young Pat Jennings and George Best. Humphries had played for Leeds United mainly in the 1958-59 season, alongside Jack Charlton and Don Revie. Later he played for Coventry City and Swansea Town before returning to Ards. Humphries stayed as Ards manager until 1982.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 pm 

all the above was from 1988 onwards, largely down to Bruce putting match by match line up's in the programmes at the time and me working from those lists and using other sources to expand on that info.

Below is nothing like comprehensive, this is taken from programmes from 1982 to 1988 both home & away with bits from other sources. There will be many players omitted and some of those below may well have been at the club longer than stated. 82-84 means 1982-83 to 1983-84; 82-83 means 1982-83 only.

ADDY, C 86-87
ADDY, R 86-87
ANCLIFFE, Nigel 86-87 ex Ossett A
AUDSLEY, Chris 87-88 ex Ossett A
BALDWIN, Kevin 87-88
BARNES, Andy 86-87 ex Liversedge
BEDFORD, Tony 83-87 ex Woolley
BILLINGHAM, Alan 82-86 ex Barnsley, to Grimethorpe, Pontefract
BOOTH, K 86-87
BOWMAN, Darrell 84-86 to Grimethorpe, Brid Town, Pontefract, Liversedge
BRANSON, Ronnie 82-84
BRENTON, Paul 85-86 ex Hall Green United
BROGDEN, Mark 85-87 ex Salem Athletic
BROWN, Alan 86-87 ex BBA brother of Mick
BROWN, Mick 86-87 ex BBA brother of Alan
BURGIN, Ian 85-87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:01 pm 

CALBECK, R 87-88
CHARLESWORTH, Gary 85-86 ex Worsbrough, Grimethorpe
COLLINSON, Geoff 82-86
COLLINSON, Ian 82-85
COOKE, Peter 85-88 ex Frecheville
CORSON, Shaun 84-86 ex Barnsley
CRACKNELL, Andy 83-84 to Grimethorpe
CRACKNELL, Ian 83-84
DAY, Wayne 87-88
FARNSWORTH, Steve 87-88
FELLOWS, Lloyd 86-88
GILL, Peter 87-88
GOMERSALL, Chris 85-88 ex Ossett Common R
GRAY, P 85-86
GRAY, Terry 87-88
GREENWOOD, Mark 86-87 ex Salem Athletic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:06 pm 

HAMILTON, Jock 82-87 to Ossett A
HANCOCK, Mark 87-88 to Grimethorpe, Frickley
HARGREAVES, Paul 85-86 ex Ossett A, Emley
HATTO, Gary 87-88 ex Frickley
HEANEY, Peter 87-88 ex Goole T, to Frickley, Stocksbridge
HEELEY, Dave 84-87 OTFC manager; ex Huddersfield, Shaw Cross, Frickley, Ossett Town
HEWITT, Andy 87-88
HUTCHINSON, ? 84-85
JONES, R 86-87
LEADBEATER, Dave 87-88
LENAGHAN, Karl 86-88
LOWE, Simon 82-84 ex York City
LOYDEN, Eddie 86-87
LUCAS, Kevin 87-88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 pm 

MARKHAM, David 84-86 ex Rotherham, Barnsley, Boston, Sutton T, Mexborough (there appears to be another Dave Markham playing in the midlands area in the 1980's)
McCORMACK, Dominic 87-88
MEDLAND, Darren 86-87 ex Wigan A
MITCHELL, Andy 84-87 to Lower Hopton
MORAN, Brian 82-83 player-manager, ex Barnsley
MULHALL, George 87-88 son of ex Halifax manager
MURPHY, Paul 84-87
NICHOLSON, Andy 85-88
NOBLE, Barry 82-85 ex Scunthorpe, to Grimethorpe
NUTTALL, John 84-85 to Fryston
PEACOCK, John 85-86
RADFORD, Alan 87-88
RAWNSLEY, Dave 87-88
RILEY, Tony 83-84
RIORDAN, Paul 87-88
ROBERTS, Alan 86-87 ex Thackley, to Guiseley, etc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 pm 

SECKER, Les 82-84 ex Huddersfield
SLACK, S 85-86
SNAITH, Andy 85-87 to Glasshoughton
STANDEVEN, Glen 85-86
SWIFT, Andy 83-87 ex Kexborough
TAYLOR, Martin 86-87
THOMAS, Mark 85-88 ex Bradford City
TOWNEND, John 86-87 ex Thornes
TROTT, Dean 85-86
TWOHIG, Sean 87-88 to Liversedge
WAKEFIELD, Paul 83-84 to Frickley
WATERHOUSE, Dave 85-87
WATSON, Paul 84-88 ex Huddersfield
WHITEHALL, Steve 82-85
WHITELAM, Steve 82-86
WHITTAKER, Ian 82-85 ex Huddersfield, to Fryston
WILCOCK, ? 84-85
WILKINSON, Adrian 87-88
WILLIAMS, Tony 82-84 ex Ossett A
WILSON, Stuart 87-88
WORSFOLD, Steve 87-88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:41 pm 

in those days we usually only played 26 league games, and we rarely if ever had a cup run, so some seasons we probably only played about 30 games in all. The first team's longest away trips were usually to Bridlington or Scarborough, or the occasional trip into Lincolnshire or wherever; the reserves only trip outside West Yorkshire would be to Harrogate or Hall Road Rangers. All those who were on the committee would say later this was probably their happiest time at the club, and a lot of the players from this time did return to the club in later years, if only to play in the reserves, where they could play football without some of the pressure that comes with fighting for promotion or fighting against relegation, some of the players didn't even like playing for money, the nominal sums we used to pay out back then weren't much really, but some players didn't like it as they wanted their football to be fun, play with their mates and have a pint or three after the game in the bar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next