It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: Re: THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:04 pm 

1994-95 part 2

For some reason the NLD published the results from the Reserve Division.

Brodsworth Miners Welfare 3-1, 3-0
Eccleshill United 7-1, 1-0
Emley 3-6, 3-4
Farsley Celtic 2-1, 0-0
Garforth Town 1-4, 1-3
Glasshoughton Welfare 6-0, 3-2
Hall Road Rangers 2-3, 4-2
Harrogate Town 3-1, 1-0
Liversedge 5-4, 4-2
Ossett Albion 2-2, 3-1
Pontefract Collieries 2-0, 5-4
Tadcaster Albion 3-2, 5-0
Thackley 2-3, 1-0
Yorkshire Amateur 2-1, 2-2

Reserve Division Cup
2nd Round away at Tadcaster Albion won 10-2
3rd Round away at Ossett Albion 1-2

we finished 3rd out of 15

We also re-entered the Heavy Woollen FA's Wheatley Cup after a number of years away. The Heavy Woollen had banned the big 3 (us, Albion and Liversedge), but allowed all 3 back in. It was not a success and the ban was re-instated after a couple of years of trouble on and off the pitch.

We reached the final this season, but lost 2-7 to Overthorpe down at Ossett Albion, we had 3 players sent off and the rest of the players refused to collect their losers medals after the game. That went down a treat with the Heavy Woollen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 pm 

1995-96 - Premier Division

the committee, in their infinite magnanimity, had graciously allowed Wayne some extra money to go out and buy a decent striker, he came back with 2. His original target was North Ferriby striker Alan Ward, who he tapped up in the cricket club after the League Cup final the previous season. Ward not only said he was interested, but he could get Stuart McKenzie from Lincoln United to come to Ossett Town as well.

Our first game of the season was at home to Hatfield Main, promoted from Division One. They turned up looking like they had had a very good pre season, I've never seen a group of players so orange. They also wore the Ajax kit (not something you see often at non league games). We took the lead, but Hatfield's superior fitness and team work came to the fore and they put 7 past us. For added cheek, their manager, John Reed (whatever happened to him?) came on as a sub in the second half. I was stood near the Hatfield dug out and I distinctly heard someone shout out "go on, give him a kick". I don't know if that was an instruction to the Hatfield players to pass the ball to Reed, or a request to the Ossett players to foul their manager.

Just after the season started, Wayne got a phone call from Emley boss, Ronnie Glavin, asking if he was interested in signing Ricardo Gabbiadini. Emley's committee wouldn't authorise an increase in their budget, so Glavin had to turn down Ricardo and tried to fix him up with another club. Our committee, generous as ever, did say yes, and so we had another striker on our books.

Armthorpe Welfare 1-1, 4-3
Arnold Town 3-1, 1-2
Ashfield United 1-0, 0-2
Belper Town 1-0, 1-3
Brigg Town 2-0, 2-1
Denaby United 1-3, 0-0
Glasshoughton Welfare 0-0, 0-3
Hallam 2-2, 5-1
Hatfield Main 1-7, 0-1
Hucknall Town 2-1, 2-2
Liversedge 0-2, 1-2
Maltby Miners Welfare 2-2, 1-3
North Ferriby United 0-4, 1-1
Ossett Albion 3-2, 2-2
Pickering Town 0-0, 0-1
Sheffield 4-1, 1-0
Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-1, 4-3
Thackley 0-1, 0-1

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round home to Borrowash Victoria drew 2-2
replay at Borrowash, lost 0-1

Ossett Albion reached the final (at Belper), but lost 2-8 to Ashfield United.

PRESIDENT'S CUP
results not known

COUNTY CUP
2nd Round away at Halifax Town, lost 1-5. Michael Midwood scored a hat trick, former Huddersfield player Keiran O'Regan also scored.

FA CUP
preliminary round (26.08.95) home to Castleton Gabriels won 3-2. Castleton are now Rochdale Town.
1st Qualifying Round (09.09.95) away at Accrington Stanley, lost 1-2.

FA VASE
1st Qualifying Round (02.09.95) away at Tadcaster Albion, won 2-1
2nd Quaifying Round (30-09-95) away at Denaby United, won 1-0
1st Round (28.10.95) home to Willington (Northern League) won 7-3 after extra time
2nd Round, away at Easington Colliery (Northern League) lost 1-2. this game should have been played on 13.11.95, but bad weather forced the game to be played in midweek.

Brigg Town went on to win the FA Vase.

the league's top scorer was North Ferriby striker Mark Tennison with 34, his strike partner Darren France also scored 21 goals that season.

We finished 14th out of 20.

Off the field we were a shambles again. In January the committee told Wayne the budget was being cut, and two highest earners Ward & McKenzie had to go. Wayne arranged for the pair to be transferred to Brigg Town, not long after, Bradford Park Avenue put in a bid for Ricardo Gabbiadini and off he went. Added to that, Eddie Loyden transferred to Hatfield Main and picked up a League Champions medal. As a final insult to Wayne, half the committee couldn't be bothered turning up to vote at a special committee meeting to decide whether to keep Wayne as manager. Those who wanted a change of manager ended up winning the vote (much to their surprise). It transpired later that if those committee men had bothered to turn up and vote for Wayne (as they said they were going to do), then the two football secretaries were going to hand in their letters of resignation.

This vote took place before the last game of the season against Belper, who needed a win to get 2nd place and promotion to the NPL. Our players, as their final insult to Wayne, played the game of the season and beat Belper, which ensured Stocksbridge finished 2nd and won promotion to the NPL. Not that those of us on the committee were taking much notice, we were too busy snarling and growling at one another during the game much to the puzzlement of nearby Belper fans. :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm 

SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:

the committee, in their infinite magnanimity, had graciously allowed Wayne some extra money to go out and buy a decent striker, he came back with 2. His original target was North Ferriby striker Alan Ward, who he tapped up in the cricket club after the League Cup final the previous season. Ward not only said he was interested, but he could get Stuart McKenzie from Lincoln United to come to Ossett Town as well.

Our first game of the season was at home to Hatfield Main, promoted from Division One. They turned up looking like they had had a very good pre season, I've never seen a group of players so orange. They also wore the Ajax kit (not something you see often at non league games). We took the lead, but Hatfield's superior fitness and team work came to the fore and they put 7 past us. For added cheek, their manager, John Reed (whatever happened to him?) came on as a sub in the second half. I was stood near the Hatfield dug out and I distinctly heard someone shout out "go on, give him a kick". I don't know if that was an instruction to the Hatfield players to pass the ball to Reed, or a request to the Ossett players to foul their manager.

Just after the season started, Wayne got a phone call from Emley boss, Ronnie Glavin, asking if he was interested in signing Ricardo Gabbiadini. Emley's committee wouldn't authorise an increase in their budget, so Glavin had to turn down Ricardo and tried to fix him up with another club. Our committee, generous as ever, did say yes, and so we had another striker on our books.

Arnold Town 3-1, 1-2
Ashfield United 1-0, 0-2
Belper Town 1-0, 1-3
Brigg Town 2-0, 2-1
Denaby United 1-3, 0-0
Hallam 2-2, 5-1
Hatfield Main 1-7, 0-1
Hucknall Town 2-1, 2-2
Liversedge 0-2, 1-2
Ossett Albion 3-2, 2-2
Pickering Town 0-0, 0-1
Sheffield 4-1, 1-0
Thackley 0-1, 0-1

LEAGUE CUP

PRESIDENT'S CUP
results not known

COUNTY CUP
2nd Round away at Halifax Town, lost 1-5. Michael Midwood scored a hat trick, former Huddersfield player Keiran O'Regan also scored.

FA CUP
preliminary round (26.08.95) home to Castleton Gabriels won 3-2. Castleton are now Rochdale Town.

FA VASE
1st Round (28.10.95) home to Willington (Northern League) won 7-3 after extra time
2nd Round, away at Easington Colliery (Northern League) lost 1-2. this game should have been played on 13.11.95, but bad weather forced the game to be played in midweek.

the league's top scorer was North Ferriby striker Mark Tennison with 34, his strike partner Darren France also scored 21 goals that season.

Off the field we were a shambles again. In January the committee told Wayne the budget was being cut, and two highest earners Ward & McKenzie had to go. Wayne arranged for the pair to be transferred to Brigg Town, not long after, Bradford Park Avenue put in a bid for Ricardo Gabbiadini and off he went. Added to that, Eddie Loyden transferred to Hatfield Main and picked up a League Champions medal. As a final insult to Wayne, half the committee couldn't be bothered turning up to vote at a special committee meeting to decide whether to keep Wayne as manager. Those who wanted a change of manager ended up winning the vote (much to their surprise). It transpired later that if those committee men had bothered to turn up and vote for Wayne (as they said they were going to do), then the two football secretaries were going to hand in their letters of resignation.

This vote took place before the last game of the season against Belper, who needed a win to get 2nd place and promotion to the NPL. Our players, as their final insult to Wayne, played the game of the season and beat Belper, which ensured Stocksbridge finished 2nd and won promotion to the NPL. Not that those of us on the committee were taking much notice, we were too busy snarling and growling at one another during the game much to the puzzlement of nearby Belper fans. :oops: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Loving these stories, I can see a pattern forming !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm 

SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:

Arnold Town 3-1, 1-2
Ashfield United 1-0, 0-2
Belper Town 1-0, 1-3
Brigg Town 2-0, 2-1
Denaby United 1-3, 0-0
Hallam 2-2, 5-1
Hatfield Main 1-7, 0-1
Hucknall Town 2-1, 2-2
Liversedge 0-2, 1-2
Ossett Albion 3-2, 2-2
Pickering Town 0-0, 0-1
Sheffield 4-1, 1-0
Thackley 0-1, 0-1

LEAGUE CUP

PRESIDENT'S CUP
results not known

COUNTY CUP

FA CUP

FA VASE

:lol: :lol: :lol: Loving these stories, I can see a pattern forming !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 pm 

1996-97 - Premier Division

Our new manager was Trevor Best, the Liversedge manager. He was from Northern Ireland and had plenty of experience with various Irish League clubs before moving to West Yorkshire. He had plenty of contacts in the Bradford area and we were hoping to tap into all that. The NLD states that Paul Murphy was assistant manager, I don't remember him being here during Trevor's time, but Trevor also brought in another ex Ossett Town player, Mick Polli to work as coach. Polli had been managing Ardsley Celtic in the West Riding County Amateur League. Trevor brought in a number of players, mainly from Liversedge and Thackley, such as Jock Sayer, Tim Ryder, Steve Warburton and ex Pontefract defender Karl Slater.

Armthorpe Welfare 5-0, 0-1
Arnold Town 2-3, 0-1
Ashfield United 4-0, 2-2
Belper Town 1-0, 2-2
Brigg Town 2-2, 2-1
Denaby United 1-5, 0-0
Glasshoughton Welfare 0-2, 1-1
Hallam 2-2, 0-1
Hatfield Main 1-0, 2-0
Hucknall Town 1-4, 1-0
Liversedge 3-2, 1-1
Maltby Main 3-1, 0-1
North Ferriby United 1-1, 0-3
Ossett Albion 2-1, 1-6
Pickering Town 2-2, 1-0
Pontefract Collieries 1-0, 3-1
Selby Town 1-2, 1-2
Sheffield 2-1, 1-1
Thackley 0-1, 0-0

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round away at Brodsworth Miners Welfare won 4-0
3rd Round away at Armthorpe Welfare won 3-0
4th Round away at Pickering Town won 4-2
Semi Final away at Pontefract Collieries lost 1-2

Pontefract lost to Hucknall 1-3 in the final at Rotherham United's ground.

PRESIDENT'S CUP
results not known, Hucknall won that cup as well

COUNTY CUP
1st Round home to Garforth Town won 3-1
2nd Round away at Yorkshire Amateur won 2-0
3rd Round home to Ossett Albion lost 2-3

FA CUP
preliminary round (31.08.96) home to Armthorpe Welfare won 3-1
1st Qualifying Round (14.09.96) away at Buxton won 2-1
2nd Qualifying Round (28.09.96) away at Gateshead lost 1-5

FA VASE
2nd Qualifying Round (05.10.96) away at Harworth Colliery Institute won 7-1
1st Round (02.11.96) home to Holker Old Boys lost 1-3

North Ferriby reached the final, losing to Whitby Town.

our top scorer was Jock Sayer; in the reserves, Ian Ogilvie and Sam Polli both scored 20 each. The League's top scorer was Brigg Town's Alan Ward with 30 goals.

We finished 8th out of 20. Denaby (with Mel Sterland in the team) were league champions but their ground was not up to NPL standard and Belper in 2nd place went up instead.

The fall out from Wayne's sacking continued. For some time, various members had been requesting to see the club's constitution but nobody knew where it was or if we still had a copy. Strangely enough it soon materialised when someone thought they had grounds to kick the 4 men who voted against Wayne out of the club. We were in a meeting when our treasurer Dave Huggins saw the constitution for the first time and he exploded with anger and tried to tear it up, Firthy reached over snatched it off him just in time. What annoyed Dave was some of the rules he had just read, the one I remember was "all members shall be resident in the Borough of Ossett". The Borough of Ossett had ceased to exist in 1974 when Ossett became part of the Wakefield District. Straight away that told you the constitution had not been updated for at least 22 years. Uproar. Also, after the other rules were read, pretty much everything that had gone on at the club for the last few years was unconstitutional. Even the chairman was unaware that he was entitled to a normal vote in a meeting, he was under the impression he only had a casting vote in the event of a tie. Had he used his normal vote, he could have swung the vote in favour of Wayne and Frank and Gerry would have resigned there and then that night in May.

From a personal point of view, I had already made my mind to bail out. I was out of work, I was spending too much doing jobs for the club instead of looking for work, I was drinking too much and the atmosphere in the club was pretty hostile, even by our standards. When the season finished, I sent a letter of resignation to Frank and I felt a great burden lifted. A couple of months later I started work for the organisation where I still work 17 years later, I went back to college and a got a couple of extra qualifications and went back to just watching the football and having a few pints in moderation (well, most of the time :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm 

continuing this heart warming tale of redemption

1997-98 - Premier Division

Ashfield had closed down during the summer after continuous vandalism, while Curzon Ashton, as the most easterly of 3 clubs coming down from the NPL, were thrown into our cosy little league.

Armthorpe Welfare 2-5, 3-0
Arnold Town 2-0, 2-0
Brigg Town 2-4, 5-2
Curzon Ashton 0-1, 2-3
Denaby United 0-1, 2-0
Eccleshill United 0-4, 1-1
Glasshoughton Welfare 0-0, 3-1
Hallam 6-2, 1-2
Hatfield Main 2-0, 1-1
Hucknall Town 1-1, 0-0
Liversedge 2-0, 2-2
Maltby Main 1-1, 1-2
North Ferriby United 2-1, 1-3
Ossett Albion 0-2, 0-3
Pickering Town 3-0, 2-0
Pontefract Collieries 6-1, 1-3
Selby Town 0-3, 1-0
Sheffield 1-2, 1-0
Thackley 2-1, 6-1

LEAGUE CUP
1st Round away at Maltby Main won 3-1
2nd Round home to Ossett Albion lost 0-1

Hucknall beat North Ferriby in the final

PRESIDENT'S CUP
1st Round home to Eccleshill United lost 1-2

Glasshoughton beat Ossett Albion in the final

COUNTY CUP
2nd Round home to Pontefract Collieries lost 2-4

FA CUP
preliminary round (30.08.97) away at Seaham Red Star drew 1-1
replay (date unknown) home to Seaham Red Star won 1-0
1st Qualifying Round (13.09.97) away at Denaby United won 3-2
2nd Qualifying Round (27.09.97) away at Burscough won 4-1
3rd Qualifying Round (11.10.97) away at Halifax Town lost 0-5

this was the season Emley reached the 3rd Round, losing 1-2 at West Ham United.

FA VASE
1st Qualifying Round (date unknown) away at St Helens Town lost 1-3

this game should have been played 06-09-97, but all football was cancelled that day due to Princess Diana's funeral. Curiously, cricket and horse racing were allowed to continue that day.

Our top scorer was Chris Shaw with 16. Trevor had to rebuild the team after the Halifax match, once the cup run had come to an end, a number of players upped sticks and left. We finished 7th out of 20. If I'm not mistaken, I think we applied to join the NPL this season, but that was more of a fact finding exercise to see how close we were to the required ground grading.

Hucknall Town were league champions and were promoted to the NPL. Curzon Ashton were moved to the NWCL.

I stayed away from the club for 4 months, on returning, I went into the bar after the game and an almighty row erupted at the other end of the bar, one of the bar men, Dave Bray, looked at me, laughed, and said "see? nothing's changed". Firthy overheard this and just shook his head in almost disbelief.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, I think it was around this time that the reserve team secretary Gerry Froggett was taken ill, he died not long after. A photo of Gerry and his pet Alsatian stood behind the bar for a number of years in remembrance.

In the 1994-95 piece, I forgot to mention our President, John Carter, who died after a game v Hucknall at the age of 88 I think. He was one of the founding fathers of the club back in 1936 and done most of the jobs at the club.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 pm 

1998-99 - Premier Division

Trevor caused a sensation when he signed Gary Brook from Conference champions Halifax Town. The move to Ossett suited Brooky, who lived in Dewsbury and had started a new career with the Prison Service up at New Hall prison near Flockton.

we were unbeaten in the league until December, then we had a few bad results, Trevor Best was missing some of the long distance away games due to pressure of work and eventually after a game v Pontefract in January, he resigned. Gary Brook took over as manager.

Armthorpe Welfare 4-1, 1-0
Arnold Town 0-0, 2-5
Brigg Town 0-0, 1-0
Buxton 1-1, 6-1
Denaby United 0-3, 2-2
Eccleshill United 3-2, 4-0
Garforth Town 3-0, 2-2
Glasshoughton Welfare 2-0, 1-0
Hallam 1-0, 2-5
Liversedge 3-1, 1-3
Maltby Main 0-1, 2-0
North Ferriby United 4-0, 0-0
Ossett Albion 0-2, 1-3
Pickering Town 3-1, 2-0
Pontefract Collieries 1-0, 7-2
Selby Town 1-0, 2-3
Sheffield 1-0, 0-1
Staveley Miners Welfare 2-2, 4-0
Thackley 4-2, 3-1

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round away at Eccleshill United won 2-1
3rd Round home to Hallam won 3-2
4th Round away at Selby Town 0-1

PRESIDENT'S CUP
2nd Round at Pickering Town lost 2-3

COUNTY CUP
2nd Round away at Bradford Park Avenue lost 1-2

FA CUP
preliminary round (date unknown) away at Tadcaster Albion lost 0-1

FA VASE
1st Qualifying Round (12.09.98) away at Newcastle Blue Star won 3-1
2nd Qualifying Round (10.10.98) home to Whickham won 2-0
1st Round (07.11.98) away at Guisborough Town won 2-1
2nd Round (28.11.98) home to Seaham Red Star lost 2-3 after extra time

due to the Don Valley Stadium being unavailable, Sheffield FC borrowed Ingfield for a number of home matches including an FA Vase match v Consett.

Gary Brook was our top scorer with 22 goals.

In the reserves (I'm not sure who the manager was at this time, if it was Lindsay Dawson or Phil Thompson) we finished 3rd out of 14 and reached the semi finals of the Reserve Division Cup. Adam Gibson and Dave Watts were our top scorers with 20 goals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm 

1998-99 part 2

as far as the off field nonsense goes, normal service resumed this season (it probably never went away really). We played away at Tadcaster in the FA Cup, and their manager just happened to be one Wayne Day. And he didn't forget. I didn't actually see the offending comments in the matchday programmes but Wayne made references to "being stabbed in the back" and "leopards never change their spots" and so on. This caused uproar within Ossett Town. Who was he referring to? those who wanted him out back in 1996 reckoned he was having a go at the committee in general (those who were meant to be supporting him), they in turn reckoned he was having a pop at the people who wanted him out. The arguments continued when they got back to Ossett after the game and Bruce stirred it up further by making a few pointed remarks in the next home programme.

Not long after, we were away at Pontefract. It was a midweek game and we won 7-2. A fantastic result, not that you would have known it when the first team got back to Ossett later that night, a major row erupted in the clubhouse and it appeared to be continuation of the aggro from the Tadcaster game. At one point, one of our senior officials (who shall remain nameless, seeing as he is still at the club :wink: ) went over to Cliff Bayton our former physio and very much in the anti Wayne Day camp and snarled "do you like hospital food? if you don't f**king shut up i'll put you in there" and raised a clenched fist and held it under Cliff's nose. It was mayhem that night and at one point Trevor Best had Firthy cornered and was wagging a finger in his face, what that was about no one knew.

Around that time, the proposed Wakefield Sports Village was in everyone's thoughts. We had been invited to be a part of it, along with Wakefield Trinity and Wakefield RUFC and other sporting outfits. The proposed plan was that we sell Ingfield and moved to a new ground up at the fields by the M1 off Junction 40. The rugby clubs would have their own stadium, we would have ours and all the clubs would share a clubhouse.

The EGM to discuss this issue, was curiously enough, arranged the same night as our first team were playing at Bradford Park Avenue in the County Cup. Frank Lloyd and others were outraged, it was well known they were in favour of the move and the timing of the EGM was seen a deliberate ploy to reduce the yes vote because Frank and others had to be in Bradford that night on first team duties. The meeting itself was in the best traditions of Ossett Town :twisted: . The appearance of Paul Warburton (father of Steve) caused confusion until it emerged he had been part of the negotiating team. He was not a popular man and his role in all this enraged some of our members who shouted him down. The rest of the meeting is a blur now, arguments erupted all around the room and me and my brother were laughing our heads off as Thomo, sat near us, was winding up all the no voters and they in turn were threatening him. Eventually some order was restored, a vote taken and the no vote prevailed. The Wakefield Sports Village had to be abandoned, amid much acrimony from the local council and the rugby clubs.

After Brooky took over, he signed some experienced players and got Ossett Town back on track, Ossett Albion had appointed Gerry Quinn as manager and he transformed them into title contenders, North Ferriby kept pace with us right up until the last few weeks. We finished the season on the final Saturday, but Albion still had to travel to North Ferriby on the bank holiday Monday for their last game. Albion needed a win to clinch the title and therefore promotion to the NPL. Albion won 3-1 and the title was there's. We were all in our new clubhouse function room when the result came through, we were disappointed but not surprised. At about 5.15 pm, one of our players, Dave Watts, walked through the door, it turned out he had been at North Ferriby watching the game, this made me and my brother laugh, as the game had finished half an hour earlier, no way could Dave had got back to Ossett so quickly. As were laughing, an angry Firthy walked into the room to see me and my brother laughing and snarled at us "you think it's funny we have missed out on promotion?" which made us laugh even more. It turned out Dave had actually left the game early so he hadn't broken the land speed record on the M62. I think it was also Dave who revealed that Ossett Albion had actually been turned down for promotion due to their away changing room not being up to NPL standard, so as we had finished 2nd and our ground was passed fit for promotion, we had been promoted instead. Firthy, like the rest of us was perplexed at this news, but a bit later we had it confirmed and we were now members of the Northern Premier League at long last. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 pm 

There you have it, our journey from the Yorkshire League to the NPL. Not even John Steinbeck and his tales of travelling from Oklahoma to California during the great depression and the dust bowl can compete with that.

Now, I'm just off to lie down in a darkened room for a while and think about seeking trauma counselling :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:02 pm 

SOUTH OSSETTIAN wrote:
There you have it, our journey from the Yorkshire League to the NPL. Not even John Steinbeck and his tales of travelling from Oklahoma to California during the great depression and the dust bowl can compete with that.

Now, I'm just off to lie down in a darkened room for a while and think about seeking trauma counselling :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing it with us Neutrals :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm 

This is superb, filled in so many gaps I had.

Fantastic stuff.

THank you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 am 

pleasure :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 am 

clearing out some old paper work at home, I found a newspaper clipping regarding Ernie Steele's death. It was obviously out of one of the local papers. It said that Ernie had been stationed in Ossett during the war and that he married a local girl, Ida Jackson. Her sister, Ethel Adams, says in the article that "he managed Ossett football clubs" before moving to South Yorkshire.

I also found some other information regarding the players in the later part of our NCEL era, i'll post it when I think of a suitable way of presenting it here.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:18 pm 

according to the mighty spoff, there is now an "app" (whatever one of them is) listing all the games played by Ossett Town at home since 1982. He also asked if anyone has watched all of those games, the answer is yes, it's the loon wandering around Ossett with a pair of pants on his head and two pencils up his nose. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 pm 

seeing as some of my inane dribblings on this thread now appear to be on the main website, may I claim drink fuelled insanity and a hazy recollection of events that may or may not have happened (just in case any solicitors are reading this) :mrgreen: