It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm 

and they were sh*t :mrgreen:

here goes, this might not work well on here but i'll give it a go.

1982-83 - NCEL Division 1 North

Ossett's score first in both columns

Bradley Rangers 1-2, 1-2
Bridlington Town 1-3, 2-0
Farsley Celtic 2-2, 0-2
Garforth Miners 4-0, 0-2
Hall Road Rangers 2-1, 3-2
Harrogate Town 3-1, 0-0
Hatfield Main 3-0, 1-3
Leeds Ashley Road 3-0, 1-0
Liversedge 1-1, 1-0
North Ferriby United 1-2, 1-1
Ossett Albion 2-0, 1-1
Scarborough reserves 3-0, 0-1
York Railway Institute 4-3, 2-1

FA VASE
lost at Grasmere Rovers 0-2 in the Preliminary Round, Grasmere later changed their name to Cheadle Town. Official attendance 27, gate receipts £8

LEAGUE CUP
beat Long Eaton Grange 6-1 at home in Preliminary Round.
lost 2-4 at Harrogate Town in the 1st Round

WEST RIDING COUNTY CUP
on December 12th, drew 2-2 with Goole Town in the 2nd Round. Replay was on Dec 14th, we won 3-0 at Goole.
3rd Round was January 8th, we lost 2-4 at home to Guiseley after extra time.

OTHER STUFF
Ray Ward was chairman
Frank Lloyd was secretary
Graham Firth was commercial manager
John Carter was press officer
Brian Moran was manager
S Spillsbury was assistant manager
J Garlick was physio
Alan Billingham was top scorer with 19 goals

all this was taken from the 1984 Non League Directory, on the opposite page to the Ossett Town entry is a photo of Pontefract Collieries, wearing their LINPAC tracksuits, in the team was Ged Elliott, Craig's dad. Leeds Ashley Road left the NCEL at the end of that season, it was believed they closed down. Though Ashley Road is in Harehills, the football team played on a pitch several miles away at Temple Newsam.

we finished the season 6th out of 14 clubs.

Post subject: Re: THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm 

this was a bad one

1983-84 Division 1 North

Bradley Rangers 1-2, 0-3
Bridlington Town 6-1, 1-3
Farsley Celtic 1-3, 1-1
Garforth Miners 0-6, 1-1
Harrogate Town 0-3, 1-3
Hatfield Main 2-2, 1-1
Liversedge 4-1, 2-2
North Ferriby United 1-0, 1-2
Ossett Albion 0-2, 1-2
Pontefract Collieries 2-3, 1-6
Rowntree Mackintosh 3-4, 0-1
Scarborough reserves 1-1, 0-4
York Railway Institute 2-0, 1-3

LEAGUE CUP
we lost 0-1 at Yorkshire Amateur in the 1st Round

COUNTY CUP
no results published in the NLD

FA VASE
Preliminary Round, away at Easington Colliery from the Wearside League, we lost 0-7. attendance 87, receipts £38. This score appeared in future editions of NLD as our record defeat, but the truth was we had bigger defeats in the Yorkshire League, but no one knew for sure if our biggest defeat was 13-0 or 15-0 at Yorkshire Amateur back in the 1950's.

OTHER STUFF
chairman - J Leathley
secretary - F Lloyd
commercial manager - G Firth
Press Officer - J Carter
manager - B Moran
coach - Dave Heeley
physio - J Garlick
captain - Steve Whitelam
top scorer - A Billingham with 11 goals
some other players - S Whiteley, B Noble, P Wakefield

T Pritchard scored 11 goals, P Murphy scored 10 for the reserves.

This was the season Simon Lowe joined Barnsley, he signed for them in November 1983, but he had actually left us for Ossett Albion a couple of weeks earlier, but when Albion realised Barnsley were going to offer him a contract, they wisely left him out of their team until Simon signed the contract and became a full time pro. He returned to us in 1992.

Looking in the NLD 1985 edition, I noticed a M Couzens was top scorer for Phoenix Park (Bradford) with 18 goals, I'm guessing this would be Mick Couzens who was our joint manager with Paul Lines at the start of the 2009-10 season.

Scarborough reserves were kicked out of the NCEL, due to the pyramid system being brought in, the FA weren't keen on reserves or juniors teams clogging up the feeder leagues.

We finished 14th out of 14. We should have been relegated to Division 2 North, but the NCEL in their infinite wisdom, re-arranged the lower divisions and we ended up in a brand new division called Division 1 Central.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm 

this was a grim year, on many levels. Miners Strike was in full swing, then the season finished with the Bradford fire and the Heysel disaster.

1984-85 Division 1 Central

Armthorpe Welfare 0-0, 0-2
Brigg Town 1-2, 0-2
BSC Parkgate 2-0, 0-0
Fryston Colliery Welfare 6-0, 5-0
Grimethorpe Miners Welfare 1-1, 2-3
Hatfield Main 2-0, 1-2
Maltby Miners Welfare 4-2, 2-1
Ossett Albion 0-0, 0-1
Pilkington Recreation 0-2, 0-1
Stocksbridge Works 3-1, 1-3
Thorne Colliery 3-2, 0-1
Wombwell Sporting Association 4-1, 2-0
Woolley Miners Welfare 1-2, 2-2
Worsbrough Bridge Miners Welfare 1-2, 1-1
Yorkshire Main 3-2, 4-1

LEAGUE CUP we lost 1-2 at Long Eaton United in the 1st Round

FA VASE we were at home in the Preliminary Round to Sheffield FC. We lost 3-4. Attendance 40, receipts £18.

COUNTY CUP results not published in the NLD

OTHER STUFF
President - J Carter
chairman - J Leathley
Secretary - F Lloyd
Commercial Manager - G Firth
manager - B Moran
assistant manager - D Heeley
coach - R Blake
captain - David Markham
player of year - Paul Murphy

top scorers - Alan Billingham & Paul Murphy both with 13 goals

other players - S Corson and Paul Watson.

we finished 8th out of 16 clubs. There was another reshuffle in the NCEL and we were placed in the brand new Division 2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm 

another bad one

Division 2 - 1985-86

Arnold Kingswell 2-2, 1-2
BSC Parkgate 2-1, 2-1
Frecheville Community Association 1-4, 0-1
Garforth Town 1-3, 0-3
Grimethorpe Miners Welfare 1-1, 1-1
Hallam 2-4, 1-0
Kiveton Park 3-2, 1-2
Lincoln United 0-1, 1-1
Liversedge 2-2, 2-2
Maltby Miners Welfare 5-0, 2-5
Pickering Town 0-1, 1-1
Staveley Works 0-1, 1-2
Thorne Colliery 2-0, 2-1
York Railway Institute 0-3, 0-3
Yorkshire Main 2-3, 2-0

LEAGUE CUP
1st Round, away at Glasshoughton Welfare, won 2-1
2nd Round, away at Hatfield Main, won 4-2
3rd Round, home to Sheffield FC, lost to 1-4

COUNTY CUP again no details

FA VASE
preliminary round, home to Thackley, lost 1-2, attendance 70

OTHER STUFF
very little coverage of Div 2 clubs in NCEL, Frank was still secretary, and I am assuming Graham had already been anointed our spiritual leader for the journey into the promised land (NCEL Division 1). In fact, I think he was chairman in the 84-85 season, perhaps Frank sent off the form back to Non League Directory before Graham was officially given demigod status.

Elsewhere, the after effects of the miners strike were being felt in the NCEL. A game at Grimethorpe against Blidworth Welfare had to be abandoned after locals attacked the Blidworth players. Blidworth, from Nottinghamshire, refused to play in games at Woolley and Worsbrough later in the season and they were kicked out of the NCEL. A number of midlands clubs left the NCEL to join the Central Midlands League, some Yorkshire clubs also left, meaning that the NCEL could scrap the short lived Division 3.

We finished 14th out of 16.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm 

a bit better

1986-87 - Division 2

Collingham 3-4, 0-5
Eccleshill United 0-3, 1-1
Frecheville Community Association 1-1, 2-1
Fryston Colliery Welfare 0-0, 1-0
Glasshoughton Welfare 2-1, 3-2
Hall Road Rangers 1-0, 2-1
Immingham Town 0-2, 0-1
Liversedge 0-2, 0-1
Pickering Town 2-1, 1-1
Selby Town 1-3, 1-0
Stocksbridge Park Steels 1-4, 2-1
Tadcaster Albion 3-1, 1-0
Winterton Rangers 1-0, 1-1
Wombwell Sporting Association 2-2, 1-2
Worsbrough Bridge Miners Welfare 2-2, 1-2
Yorkshire Amateur 2-2, 1-1
Yorkshire Main 1-2, 1-1

LEAGUE CUP lost at Tadcaster Albion, 2-3, in the first round.

COUNTY CUP lost 1-3 at Ossett Albion in the 2nd Round.

FA VASE lost 0-1 at Armthorpe Welfare in the Preliminary Round

OTHER STUFF
again scant coverage in the NLD, only Frank gets a mention as secretary.

Down the road, they were having a rare old time. Ossett Albion opened their new floodlights with a game against a very strong Leeds United team, which included first team regulars like Neil Aspin, Peter Haddock, Brendan Ormsby, Peter Swan, Ian Baird and Keith Edwards. Amongst the youngsters also playing were Gary Speed and David Batty.

Albion went onto win the Division 1 title, with Gary Brook being the league top scorer with 26 goals. Other players in the Albion team who later came to Ossett Town in various capacities included Nigel Yarrow, Steve Carter, Dave Ingham, Brian Crowther, Lindsay Dawson, Paul Murphy and Tony Williams. The Albion manager John Ogilvie also worked with our juniors when his son Ian was playing for us.

We finished 10th out of 18, but things were about to change.

I'll do 1987-88 later in the week, there's one or two things that I need to check up on before I write that one up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:05 pm 

Hi South Ossettian, if you're still looking for dates I think I can help with those vs Garforth (I have most of the Garforth scorers also if you require them :mrgreen: )

1982-83
4-0 was on 2nd Oct 82, 0-2 on 12th March 83.

1983-84
1-1 was 31st March 84, 0-6 7th April.

1985-86
0-3 was 17th August 85, 1-3 23rd November.

"I do not believe my eyes. A ball through the middle is over Henshaw and Mark Simpson lobs Stewart. 1-1. Clinical, from Garforth. 87 gone". - cumbria exile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm 

GTFCandrew wrote:
Hi South Ossettian, if you're still looking for dates I think I can help with those vs Garforth (I have most of the Garforth scorers also if you require them :mrgreen: )

1982-83
4-0 was on 2nd Oct 82, 0-2 on 12th March 83.

1983-84
1-1 was 31st March 84, 0-6 7th April.

1985-86
0-3 was 17th August 85, 1-3 23rd November.

I think it's more for our secretary/programme editor, Spoff, he's trying to put it all together for his articles. I don't actually have all that much info myself, so I'm just dumping it on here and letting others pick the bones out. :mrgreen:

Hopefully i'll be doing the 1987-88 season tomorrow night. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm 

1987-88 Division 2

the rumours started early that summer, a millionaire was taking over at Ossett Town, he was going to get a team of Football League players in, he was going to put new stands up, he was going to do this and do that and so on. He turned out to be a man called Colin Riley, he lived in the East Riding but ran a firm in Wakefield. May be he wasn't an Abramovic, but he certainly turned things on their head. He brought in Micky Bullock, the Goole Town manager and Firthy had the difficult job of telling Dave Heeley he was sacked. Bullock, a former Halifax manager, brought in some of his Goole players, including ex Southend striker Terry Gray and ex Frickley defender Steve Worsfold. He also brought in ex Hull and Grantham striker Dave Leadbeater, former Huddersfield junior Alan Radford, Gary Hatto from Frickley and some other players with NPL experience. He kept some of the younger players from Dave Heeley's team and put the rest of them into the reserves.

Collingham 4-3, 0-1
Fryston Colliery Welfare 3-0, 4-1
Glasshoughton Welfare 1-1, 1-1
Hall Road Rangers 8-1, 1-0
Liversedge 2-0, 2-2
Pickering Town 1-4, 5-0
Selby Town 2-2, 3-2
Stocksbridge Park Steels 2-1, 2-2
Tadcaster Albion 1-1, 4-1
Winterton Rangers 3-1, 3-0
Wombwell Sporting Association 1-2, 0-1
Worsbrough Bridge Miners Welfare 5-1, 2-1
Yorkshire Amateur 3-3, 1-3
Yorkshire Main 8-2, 4-0

LEAGUE CUP lost at Collingham 1-2 in the 1st Round

COUNTY CUP lost 0-1 at Armthorpe Welfare in the 2nd Round

FA VASE beat Collingham 2-1 in the Preliminary Round
In the 1st Round, we drew 2-2 at Maltby Miners Welfare, the replay was abandoned at half time due to fog, the re-arranged replay we lost 1-5.

The abandoned match is one of my defining memories of that season. It brought home to me just how jealous a lot of other clubs were of our apparent wealth. We were losing 0-1, the Maltby officials and supporters had already been in full voice sneering at our "millionaires", but due to the fog closing in, the referee abandoned the game at half time. The Maltby people loved that, straight away they were alleging we had bribed the ref and they were shouting and swearing at anyone who came near them. At one point, Micky Bullock stuck his around the changing room door to see what the noise was about only for a Maltby man to shout out "you can f**k off as well you fat b&st&rd". Bullock quickly disappeared back into the changing room, only for some bloke I had never seen before or since, a huge man who looked a lot like Jesse Ventura, out of the Predator movie, to come out of the changing room and stand guard outside, arms folded, glaring at the Maltby people. :lol:

OTHER STUFF
Our reserves, full of disgruntled first team players from the previous season, won their League Cup final, beating Collingham 3-1 at the Yorkshire Amateur ground.

Riley's money was not just spent on the players, we got brand new floodlights and new drainage for the pitch while the general appearance of the ground, already started by Firthy in previous years, continued to be greatly improved.

Not everything had been upgraded straight away. A mid season friendly with Scarborough saw the return to action of their captain Ces Podd after a long injury. His injury re-occurred during the match and he had to be carried off on our stretcher, an old moth eaten canvas thing that was several decades past it's sell by date. Poor Ces had to hold on for dear life while he slowly slipped through a hole in the canvas and his backside was nearly touching the floor as he was carried into their changing room. A brand new metal stretcher was soon acquired. :mrgreen:

Dave Leadbeater was our top scorer with 28 goals, Alan Radford scored 16.

The goalscoring charts for the NCEL contained some familiar names. Chris Beaumont (Denaby), Ian Noteman (Guiseley), Micky Downing (Armthorpe), Dean Trott (Pontefract), Dave Bursztyn (Grimethorpe) and the Collingham duo, Steve Fuller and Chris Annan, all later played for Ossett Town.

We finished 4th out of 15, a disappointing end to an excellent season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 pm 

1988-89 - Division 2
Bullock continued to improve the squad and he brought in Ces Podd from Scarborough, Neil Sellars and Robert Connor from Bridlington Town, Andy Cracknell from Denaby, Stuart Wilson from Harrogate Town and Micky Norbury out of local football in the Hemsworth area. Gary Hatto went back to Frickley, while Terry Gray became reserve team manager, though still turning out for the first team if the reserves didn't have a game.

Ces Podd's day job was community officer for Leeds United, but he had a sideline in promoting young players from the afro-caribbean communities in West Yorkshire and his Caribbean XI would play friendly matches against non league sides. Some of those players came to Ossett Town, including Michael Williams (later to join Sheffield Wednesday), Lutel James (Bury & Accrington), Charlie Bradshaw and Gerard Goodman (brother of Don).

The season began sensationally when a friendly fixture was arranged with Manchester United. Over 2000 were in the ground as Man United's reserve team won 5-1. Mark Robins scored a hat trick and Lee Sharpe played his first ever game in Man United colours after his transfer from Torquay.

Brodsworth Miners Welfare 8-0, 1-0
Dronfield United 5-1, 1-3
Fryston Colliery Welfare 3-0, 4-0
Glasshoughton Welfare 2-0, 0-1
Hall Road Rangers 3-1, 0-1
Liversedge 0-1, 1-1
Selby Town 4-1, 1-1
Stocksbridge Park Steels 5-0, 6-1
Tadcaster Albion 5-1, 2-0
Winterton Rangers 9-1, 2-0
Worsbrough Bridge Miners Welfare 1-1, 1-0
Yorkshire Amateur 3-1, 3-0
Yorkshire Main 4-0, 2-1

LEAGUE CUP
1st Round, home to Kiveton Park, won 2-0
2nd Round, lost 1-4 at Eccleshill United

COUNTY CUP
1st Round, won at Harrogate Town 4-1
2nd Round, home to Eccleshill United, won 4-0
3rd Round, away at Hatfield Main, lost 0-1

FA VASE
extra preliminary round, won 2-1 at Bradley Rangers
preliminary round, won 3-0 at Hallam
1st Round, home to Immingham Town, won 2-1
2nd Round, away at West Allotment Celtic (Northern Alliance), won 2-0
3rd Round, home to Bridlington Town, drew 2-2
replay at Bridlington Town, won 1-0. Those who were there say this was the finest game they ever saw Karl Lenaghan play, the ref (who allegedly lived in the same village as the Bridlington boss, Colin Appleton), played 10 minutes of injury time and awarded Brid a penalty in the last minute. Karl saved the penalty and the ref finally blew the whistle.
4th Round home to Whickham (Northern League), won 1-0. Alan Radford scored the winner. Attendance 430.
5th Round home to North Ferriby United, we lost 1-2 in front of 470. Raddy scored again and Ferriby reached the semi finals, losing to Tamworth. The 1990 NLD very kindly published the Ossett Town line up for that game: Lenaghan, Worsfold, Watson, Connor, Cracknell, Wilson, Leadbeater, Podd, Norbury, Radford, Fellows, subs: Hewitt & Gerrard.

That was our best ever performance in the FA Vase.

our top scorers in the league were Dave Leadbeater & Alan Radford, both with 18 goals. Leadbeater's total includes all 6 goals in the match at Stocksbridge. He was also making a name for himself as a scout, based in Cudworth, he brought a number of players to the club, including Norbury.

On April 15th, with the Division 2 title already in the bag, Ossett Town travelled to Dronfield. Not so far away, at Hillsborough, Liverpool were playing Nottingham Forest in a FA Cup semi final. I was sat at in our back garden at home listening to the semi final on radio 2. Straight away it was obvious something was very badly wrong as the commentator described at first what he thought was crowd trouble, but soon became apparent that a disaster was unfolding as Grobbelaar screamed at the ref to stop the game, which he quickly did. I went back into the house and put grandstand on and they were showing the pictures live as all hell broke loose. Years later, as I got to know certain people at Ossett Town a lot better, they mentioned that day at Dronfield, they were obviously well aware of what had happened and travelling back up the M1 past Sheffield they saw the ambulances coming in and out of Sheffield. Nearly 25 years later, questions about what happened that day are still being asked in the House of Commons.

Good night.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 pm 

1989-90 - Division 1

Collingham 1-1, 5-1
Eccleshill United 1-4, 2-0
Frecheville Community Association 0-0, 1-1
Garforth Town 1-1, 1-1
Immingham Town 3-1, 1-1
Kiveton Park 0-0, 1-0
Liversedge 2-0, 0-3
Maltby Miners Welfare 1-0, 3-2
Mexborough Town 3-0, 3-0
Parkgate 1-0, 1-1
Pickering Town 3-1, 1-2
Rowntree Mackintosh 0-0, 0-1
Woolley Miners Welfare 1-0, 3-1
York Railway Institute 8-0, 2-0

LEAGUE CUP
1st Round away at Selby Town, won 4-0
2nd Round home to Winterton Rangers, won 4-0
3rd Round away at Hatfield Main won 3-1
4th Round home to Armthorpe Welfare 3-1
Semi Final away at Kiveton Park won 1-0
Final (at North Ferriby?) beat Bridlington Town 1-0

Not a bad result, considering Brid had just won the NCEL title and were being promoted to the NPL. They also reached the FA Vase final that season, losing to London club Yeading in the replay at Elland Road after a draw at Wembley. Bridlington had beaten Guiseley in the FA Vase semi final, the Guiseley team included Frank Worthington then aged 41.

COUNTY CUP 2nd Round lost at home to Garforth Town 0-2

FA VASE given a bye to the 2nd Round after last season's exploits, we were drawn at home to Denaby United, but lost 2-4.

Micky Norbury was transferred to Scarborough in December 1989, apparently for a fee of £20,000; but Scarborough never paid up because a few weeks after signing him, they cancelled his contract when he was sent to prison. On his release a few months later, he resumed his football career with Bridlington Town.

Alan Radford was our top scorer with 15 goals, Dave Leadbeater scored 10. In the reserves, Andy Nicholson scored 12 goals, Dean Beck scored 11.

Other familiar names in the NCEL scoring charts were Ian Noteman (Guiseley), Stuart McKenzie (Bridlington Trinity), Simon Dwyer (Denaby), Paul Viner (Eccleshill), Paul Murphy (Liversedge) and Paul Gilbertson (Emley reserves), who all played for Ossett Town at one or another.

We finished 3rd out of 15 clubs. We were on the same points as Liversedge, but they had a goal difference of plus 28, we had plus 27. But, much to their chagrin, we were promoted instead of them due to our floodlights. Now, there's never been much love lost between Liversedge and Ossett Town, and I, for one, could care less about what they think of us; but when we appointed ex Liversedge boss Trevor Best as manager in 1996, we were surprised when he started blathering on about how we shouldn't have been promoted in 1990 and so on. We soon put him right on that, but it did indicate how these things bubble away under the surface and cause resentment for years on end. I think most of us were quite glad to get to the NPL in 1999 and get away from such pettiness from some of our local rivals.

1990-91 next time, and the black clouds darken the horizons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 pm 

1990-91 - Premier Division

or has it was known that year, the Weekly Wynner League :?

Armthorpe Welfare 1-2, 3-1
Belper Town 3-3, 2-5
Brigg Town 0-0, 1-0
Denaby United 3-0, 1-1
Guiseley 0-0, 0-3
Harrogate Railway Athletic 0-1, 0-0
Maltby Miners Welfare 5-2, 1-2
North Ferriby United 1-1, 1-0
North Shields 1-4, 1-4
Ossett Albion 1-1, 0-0
Pontefract Collieries 2-1, 3-1
Spennymoor United 0-1, 0-0
Sutton Town 0-1, 2-1
Thackley 2-2, 1-0
Winterton Rangers 7-0, 0-1

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round home to Immingham Town, won 3-2
3rd Round home to Harrogate Railway Athletic won 3-1
4th Round away at Thackley won 1-0
Semi Final home to Guiseley 0-1

Guiseley were awesome that season, League champions and promoted to the NPL, winners of the FA Vase, lost to North Ferriby in the President's Cup final, they met Ferriby again in the League Cup final staged at Ingfield, which they won 1-0.

PRESIDENT'S CUP a new competition and not all that popular with the clubs, initially it was played over 2 legs.
1st Round beat Harrogate Railway 3-2 on aggregate
2nd Round lost to North Ferriby 1-2 on aggregate

what I forgot to mention in the 1987-88 piece was that Ossett Town entered a short lived competition for clubs in the NCEL with floodlights, the clubs who entered were both Ossetts, Pontefract Collieries, Farsley Celtic, Harrogate Town and Emley. It was split into 2 groups, all I can remember is a 0-0 with Pontefract at Ingfield. It was freezing cold, dull, and I was stood too close to some mouthy Ponty supporters who made it very clear they didn't like Ossett, at length and very loud, all the game.

FA CUP
For the first time since the late 1950's, we entered the FA Cup. We were drawn away at Knowsley United in the Preliminary Round. We drew 1-1 but Knowsley (wearing Liverpool's awful grey away kit) won the replay 3-2 after extra time.

FA VASE
again we were given a bye to the 2nd Round, we were drawn away at Rossendale United, winning 2-0. In the 3rd Round, we were drawn away again to Knowsley United, this time they won 4-2, Sellers and Cooper scored our goals. Knowsley went onto win the North West Counties League and promotion to the NPL.

We finished the season 8th out of 16.

Bullocks team was starting to break up, Radford & Cracknell linked up with Norbury at Bridlington Town; Ces Podd became player-manager of Eccleshill United, Leadbeater went back to North Ferriby. The atmosphere around the ground wasn't all that great at times, I sometimes used to stand in the old stand at the bus station end, where some of the old committee and their friends stood, and you could hear all the bad mouthing going on, "it's not Bullock's team, it's Leadbeater's, they're his players" or "it's Ces Podd's team, they're his players". Whispers of something not right, trouble in the committee room, folk wandering around the ground telling tales, talk of legal action, no money, committee men resigning. All very unsettling. :?

on the plus side, it was about this time that one of our trustees, Peter Jessop, brought to the club one of the teams from Ossett Sporting Boys Club. They were unhappy about certain things down at Station Road, including having to take part in orienteering competitions :shock: so Pete talked Firthy into letting the team use Ossett Town's name and there began our reasonably successful youth policy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 pm 

1991-92 - Premier Division

The long awaited new stand was erected in quick time early in the summer of 1991, reputedly at a cost of £10 grand. this was at the heart of the dispute within the club, with Riley and the committee arguing about who would pay for the stand. there were other things as well, as there usually is when there is trouble, but basically that was the main issue. Our Vice President, Paul Jervis, owner of the Action Stations garage next door, was also involved in the legal side of the dispute and at one point the club threatened to sue the solicitors who were meant to be taking legal action against Riley. Several years later both sides agreed to call it a day and drop their respective legal actions.

The problems led to some committee men resigning, firthy had harsh words for some of them when he spoke about it years later "rats deserting sinking ships" being just about the cleanest thing I can put on here. You can understand their view, all they wanted was to watch a game of football, have a pie and a pint (a great British night!) and then they get embroiled in all this legal stuff which is way above their head. Later, 3 committee men were reported to the DSS for alleged benefits fraud, that caused some problems in it's own right and several different people cited one particular character at the club as being behind that allegation.

Riley left the club and went to Winterton Rangers, taking with him Neil Sellers and Steve Worsfold, but Worsfold was soon back at Ossett Town and Sellers moved back to Bridlington Town, later playing for North Ferriby.

Bullock also left, to be replaced by Dave Leadbeater, who had Terry Gray as his assistant.

Armthorpe Welfare 1-3, 2-1
Belper Town 1-0, 3-1
Brigg Town 1-1, 2-2
Denaby United 1-3, 0-1
Eccleshill United 6-1, 1-1
Glasshoughton Welfare 2-1, 2-0
Harrogate Railway Athletic 3-1, 0-2
Liversedge 1-1, 1-1
Maltby Miners Welfare 1-6, 1-2
North Ferriby United 1-1, 0-1
North Shields 0-5, 0-0
Ossett Albion 1-1. 3-0
Pontefract Collieries 2-3, 0-1
Sheffield 0-0, 0-5
Spennymoor United 1-1, 0-4
Sutton Town 1-1, 2-2
Thackley 0-1, 2-1
Winterton Rangers 2-2, 4-1

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round beat Selby Town 2-0
3rd Round lost at Worsbrough Bridge Miners Welfare 1-4

PRESIDENT'S CUP
not known

COUNTY CUP
2nd Round at home to Ossett Albion 1-2. I remember this game well, it had rained all day, pitch was soaked, but the ref declared the game on, much to the outrage of our groundsman Don Wilby, who threatened everyone in earshot with hellfire and damnation, and he was going to resign from the groundsman job as well. He was a pensioner who lived in Ravensthorpe and he made the 2 bus journey everyday just to do a bit of work on the pitch, he died in 1994.

FA CUP
preliminary round (played 31-08-91) home to North Ferriby United, won 2-0 with goals from Gerrard and Leadbeater, attendance 185.
1st Qualifying Round (played 14-09-91) home to Southport, lost 0-1 attendance 270.

FA VASE
1st Round (02-11-91) away at Hallam, won 1-0
2nd Round (23-11-91) home to Atherton Laburnum Rovers drew 3-3
replay (26-11-91) away at Atherton LR lost 1-3

North Shields did a clean sweep of the NCEL trophies, league title, League Cup (beating Armthorpe 5-0 in the final at Ossett Albion) and the President's Cup. They should have taken their place in the NPL, but they had financial problems and closed down before the 1992-93 season began. I thought they were the best team I ever saw in the NCEL, and after they beat us 5-0, I was in the clubhouse and one of their elderly supporters, full of pride and close to tears, said to me "everywhere we go, people say we are the best team they have seen". I had to agree with that, but, as is my style, I was not going to admit that publically, so I said to him "but you only scored 5 , Maltby scored 6 against us a few weeks ago" poor fella was baffled "Maltby? Maltby?" as I walked away to bother someone else.

Our season started brightly enough with the cup win over North Ferriby, but our next home win was in November, the League Cup win v Selby. Our first home league win was in February against Belper. We finished 12th out of 19.

The reserves finished 17th in their 19 club division. But they did reach their League Cup final, losing to Guiseley.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 pm 

1992-93 - Premier Division

Dave Leadbeater left the manager's job around February, and the reserve team manager Chris Allwood took over as caretaker until the end of the season. Sutton Town changed their name to Ashfield United.

Armthorpe Welfare 1-1, 6-0
Ashfield United 6-1, 0-1
Belper Town 2-2, 1-3
Brigg Town 1-2, 1-1
Denaby United 1-1, 1-3
Eccleshill United 1-3, 2-1
Glasshoughton Welfare 3-3, 1-0
Harrogate Railway Athletic 10-1, 3-1
Liversedge 2-4, 1-3
Maltby Miners Welfare 1-2, 0-5
North Ferriby United 2-1, 0-3
Ossett Albion 1-2, 2-1
Pickering Town 1-3, 1-2
Pontefract Collieries 3-2, 1-3
Sheffield 1-2, 2-1
Spennymoor United 1-3, 0-3
Stocksbridge Park Steels 1-1, 2-1
Thackley 2-0, 0-0
Winterton Rangers 3-2, 2-3

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round away at Ashfield United won 5-3
3rd Round away at Denaby United lost 1-2

PRESIDENT'S CUP
1st Round lost at North Ferriby United 0-3

COUNTY CUP
1st Round lost at home to Armthorpe Welfare 0-1

FA CUP
Preliminary Round (29-08-92) home to Dunston Federation Brewery (Northern League) lost 0-2

FA VASE
preliminary round (03-10-92) home to Rainworth Miners Welfare (Notts Alliance) lost 2-3.

The Vase final between Bridlington Town and Tiverton Town would have been interesting to Ossett Town on two levels, Brid won 1-0, with Alan Radford scoring. On another more obscure level, Tiverton had in their team a defender called Hedley Steele who was born in Barnsley in 1954, but had spent his entire career in the south west, with the likes of Exeter City, Weymouth etc. Barnsley is the clue here, because Hedley's father was Ernest Steele, a professional footballer and cricketer who played for Ossett Town FC and Ossett CC in the early 1950's. Ernest had played league football with Oldham, Rochdale, Torquay, Notts County, Crystal Palace and Millwall before the war, then in non league football after the war. As a cricketer, he played in Lancashire's 2nd XI before embarking on a long career in club cricket. After leaving Ossett, he went to Barnsley CC, where he played alongside Michael Parkinson and Dickie Bird as well as being groundsman. He moved to Tiverton in the late 1960's where he was manager and later groundsman for Tiverton Town. He collapsed and died watching Tiverton in 1997 at the age of 86.

We finished 12th out of 20.

Spennymoor United were the dominant force this season, League Champions, League Cup winners (they beat Thackley 2-1 here at Ossett Town, earning the undying affection of our committee by drinking the clubhouse dry after the game :mrgreen: ) and winning promotion to the NPL.

Paul Elsworth was our top scorer with 25 goals, he scored 5 in the 10-1 over Harrogate Railway at the end of the season. Also scoring in that game was 15 year old Jamie Gibson, playing at left back, he was the first player from our new junior section to make it into our first team. Just after we walloped them, Harrogate lost 2-9 to Belper. their coach, ex Leeds legend David Harvey cut a forelorn figure in the clubhouse after the game. I think he packed in altogether afterwards and went to live on the Orkney Islands.

Now, if you think I have some encyclopaedic knowledge about all things Ossett Town, I'm afraid you would be wrong. there's a photo in the 1994 NLD of Ossett town with no caption. I watched every home game that season, I had the full set of programmes but I've looked at this photo and I'm struggling.

back Row: Bob Taylor, unknown, unknown, unknown keeper, unknown, Dave Bursztyn, Robbie Stewart, Dave Leadbeater
front row: unknown, Mark Frid, Micky Downing, unknown, Robert Connor, Steve Whitelam

Dean Trott also played for us this year, before moving to Boston United and later Northampton Town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm 

1993-94 - Premier Division

we had a new management team, all ex Barnsley players, the manager was Ali Millar, his assistant was Derrick Parker, the reserve team boss was John Peachey. We struggled most of the season but it was still a surprise when Millar bailed out in January and linked up with Gary Brook to be joint manager of Gainsborough Trinity. Parker took over as caretaker until the end of the season.

Armthorpe Welfare 1-1, 0-3
Ashfield United 0-0, 1-0
Belper Town 1-1, 1-1
Brigg Town 1-5, 3-4
Denaby United 1-2, 3-1
Eccleshill United 2-1, 0-0
Glasshoughton Welfare 1-0, 1-5
Hucknall Town 1-1, 3-2
Lincoln United 1-2, 0-3
Liversedge 3-1, 1-3
Maltby Miners Welfare 4-1, 1-0
North Ferriby United 0-3, 2-3
Ossett Albion 2-3, 1-1
Pickering Town 0-0, 0-5
Pontefract Collieries 1-2, 1-1
Sheffield 0-1, 0-3
Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-5, 0-3
Thackley 1-1, 1-1
Winterton Rangers 1-0, 3-2

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round home to Armthorpe Welfare, lost 1-3

The final was again staged at Ingfield, Hucknall Town beat Thackley 4-1.

PRESIDENT'S CUP
1st Round away at Harrogate Railway Athletic, lost 2-3

COUNTY CUP
1st Round away at Liversedge lost 3-4

FA CUP
preliminary round (28-08-93) home to Harworth Colliery Institute won 5-3
1st Qualifying Round (11-09-93) home to Winsford United drew 1-1 attendance 210
replay (exact date unknown) away at Winsford, lost 1-3

FA VASE
preliminary round (02.10.93) away at Nantwich Town lost 0-2

we finished 16th out of 20. We only started to pull away from the relegation zone in March when the committee chucked some money at the problem and Parker signed a number of players on loan, mainly from Frickley, and the results started to improve.

the reserves were having all sorts of problems, on and off the field and finished 16th out of 17. If I recall correctly, they lost their last home game of the season to Pontefract Collieries by 9 goals to 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 pm 

1994-95 - Premier Division

Wayne Day was appointed the new manager, he had been in charge at Glasshoughton for the previous couple of years and had played for Ossett Town in the 1987-88 season. David Ingham, the former Ossett Albion reserve manager became Wayne's assistant but left after a couple of months to concentrate on his sports shop business. Ingham's assistant from Ossett Albion, Steve Carter (another former Ossett Town player) became our reserve team manager.

Armthorpe Welfare 2-1, 0-0
Arnold Town 0-1, 2-4
Ashfield United 1-2, 0-0
Belper Town 1-1, 1-2
Brigg Town 1-1, 0-0
Denaby United 2-1, 1-2
Glasshoughton Welfare 2-0, 1-1
Hallam 1-3, 3-0
Hucknall Town 2-2, 2-0
Lincoln United 1-2, 1-3
Liversedge 4-0, 0-4
Maltby Miners Welfare 2-2, 2-1
North Ferriby United 3-1, 2-2
Ossett Albion 0-1, 1-0
Pickering Town 1-1, 1-3
Pontefract Collieries 1-3, 3-1
Sheffield 4-1, 0-3
Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-1, 0-1
Thackley 1-1, 1-4

LEAGUE CUP
2nd Round home to Denaby United won 1-0
3rd Round home to Immingham Town won 4-1
4th Round home to North Ferriby United lost 0-1

North Ferriby reached the final losing 0-3 to Stocksbridge down at Ossett Albion.

PRESIDENT'S CUP
1st Round home to Eccleshill United won 3-1
2nd Round home to Brigg Town lost 0-1

COUNTY CUP
1st Round home to Glasshoughton Welfare lost 1-2

FA CUP
Preliminary Round (27-08-94) home to Mossley drew 0-0
replay (30-08-94) away at Mossley lost 0-3

FA VASE
preliminary round (01.10.94) home to Grove United (MId Cheshire League) drew 1-1
replay ((08-10-94) away at Grove United, lost 0-1.

A very poor result, one of our committee, who wanted to keep Derrick Parker was already calling for Wayne to be sacked and Parker brought back. :lol:

we finished 12th out of 20, after the previous 3 years, this was regarded almost as a success. Defensively we looked a lot more stable than we had done before. Lloyd Fellows and Darren Zoldan had come back from Ossett Albion, Wayne had brought Phil Thompson, Dean Helliwell and Eddie Loyden with him from Glasshoughton, and we had the likes of Karl Lenaghan, Chris Shaw and Steve Worsfold in the team as well.