It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: this day in history
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 am 

I noticed on the club twitter someone has started putting up matches that were played on this day since we joined the NPL.

Yesterday (Jan 7th) in 2006, we drew 4-4 at Blyth, Walshaw got 2 goals after coming on as a sub. Not a bad effort for our legendary striker, seeing as he was still in the cells in Dewsbury Police Station as the bus set off from Ossett to make the long journey north. Apparently there had been some bother the night before (involving Wally's foot and someone else's wing mirror if I remember the tale) and Wally got nicked. HIs grandmother gave him a lift from Dewsbury to Wetherby where we were picking up the lads from Humberside. The year before, we went to Blyth, we had a double decker coach, I was sat upstairs and I could hear the players downstairs shouting and laughing, the coach driver for some reason took us on a tour of North Shields and Whitley Bay; when we got to Blyth, I was the last one off the coach and the driver was seething, "if that ginger haired b*st*rd says anything to me again, I'm gonna smack him". Evidently the players knew we were taking the scenic route to Blyth and Wally gave the driver some ear ache over it.

Today in 2000, we beat Flixton 3-2, a game I don't remember much about apart from our supporters and officials giving the Flixton officials some verbal after the game. The game at Flixton earlier in the season had been very bad tempered, Flxiton had two players sent off, Scott Jackson was lucky not to be sent off for decking one of their lads with a right hook and some of us heard a Flixton official calling for his lads to break our lads legs. That sparked some angry scenes and it continued at our place a few months later. If I recall rightly, Flixton were in a mess financially due to the new clubhouse they had just built (and very nice it was too), so the atmosphere there was not all that cracking as you would expect. Ossett Albion went there for a pre season friendly the following season and apparently took a right kicking off them.

Post subject: Re: this day in history
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 pm 

Jan 13th, 2001 - Radcliffe Borough 5 Ossett Town 6. I'd love to tell you all about it, but I didn't go! We had a hell of a forward line up around that time, Gary Brook, Scott Jackson, Chris Annan, Matty Smithard, Michael Midwood etc. We could score for fun away from home, never really seemed to do it at home. Radcliffe were a very strong team at the time, to go there and score 6 was almost unreal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:17 pm 

It's me that is doing it, I have the clubs results from 1994/1995 onwards at present and keep adding to them, but sadly only line ups from the last few years.

Anyone that can fill gaps would be most welcome!

Things lke player appearances and goals are needed.

15 January

2005 Ossett Town 2-3 Bamber Bridge
2011 MArine 3-4 Ossett Town

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm 

sad news about Bobby Collins, died aged 82. He visited Ossett Town a few times over the years, sometimes with the Leeds United ex players team for charity games; other times with Barnsley when he was coaching there and they sent a reserve/junior team to play pre season friendly games here. There's a photo knocking about somewhere in the clubhouse of Bobby standing behind the bar and Firthy showing him how to pull a pint (or was it Bobby showing Firthy?),picture was taken in the early 1980's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 pm 

Jan 27th, 2001 Guiseley 0 Ossett Town 3.

a comfortable win that day for Gary Brook's team, Guiseley had been relegated and were struggling a bit, but it was still a great result for us. I can't say I remember much about the game itself, apart from the journey back home, I travelled by train from Guiseley to Wakefield, Leeds City station was being rebuilt and there were Leeds fans all over the place after their match with Liverpool. Some Leeds fans were getting a bit uppity with me on the train back to Wakefield, who they thought I was I've no idea, when they realised I wasn't going to be intimidated, the ringleader started giving it the large one "being back on leave from Iraq" or where ever we were at war at the time. I just laughed at him in front of his adoring fan club and got off at Westgate.

Jan 27th, 2007 Grantham 1 Ossett Town 3.

I didn't go to this game, I think I had already stopped going to the away games due to some of the idiots on the committee and their lying potty mouths. I think Steve Kittrick was the boss at this time. That was another good team we had, probably just a couple of players short of being play off contenders. According to the NLD, Andy Hayward, Carl Fothergill and Andy McManus were the scorers.

edited to add scorers for Grantham game.

Last edited by SOUTH OSSETTIAN on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 pm 

Jan 30th 1999, North Ferriby 0 Ossett Town 0

I think I went to this one, this was our promotion year and Ferriby, along with Albion, were our rivals for the title. Gary Brook had just taken over from Trevor Best, who had resigned due to increasing work commitments. Brooky brought in some experienced players to steady the ship, including Shaun Constable and Craig Boardman. I think this was the game where some of our juniors came along to watch and one or two of them ended up on the railway embankment. A North Ferriby official came along and told them to get down. A nearby Ossett official butted in "leave them alone, they're not doing any harm", the Ferriby official replied "no, they won't be doing any harm when the Hull to Leeds train comes by at 90 miles an hour in a few minutes time". Ashen faced Ossett official shouts up "lads, lads get down here now". A few minutes later, the train came flying by at a very fast speed.

One of the things that amused me about any visit to North Ferriby was our players, officials and supporters all suddenly going quiet as we entered the village and they realised just how posh the place is. "oooh, look at that house, that must worth a few quid" and so on. Then they get to the car park and see all the BMW's, Jags etc. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 am 

Loving these.

There is space in the programme for stuff like this, this week in history type thing.

Go on, you know you want to...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 pm 

Feb 3, 2001 Chorley 1 Ossett Town 1

if this is the same game I'm thinking of, it was overshadowed by a very unpleasant incident at the end of the game when one of the Chorley players, a well known and much travelled character, racially abused Chris Annan. Chris was very upset and the other Ossett players very angry, the Chorley officials were embarrassed and told their player to leave the ground immediately. We had a few problems with that same player a few years later when he was at AFC Telford, we ended up having to appear at an FA disciplinary meeting in London after 2 Ossett players were sent off and a number of others were booked.

Feb 3, 2007 Ossett Town 1 Ilkeston Town 2

I was there, I know I was, but I'm damned if I can remember anything. According to the Non League Directory, Andy Hayward scored for us, former Ossett Town reserve Adam Muller scored for Ilkeston.

writing for the programme? no chance, been there, done that, apologised to the league etc :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 pm 

Feb 4th 1995 Ossett Town 2 Glasshoughton 1

I don't know if it was this game or the following season, our boss Wayne Day (ex Glasshoughton boss), looked at the matchday programme, saw who the ref was and remarked "this should be interesting, it says here he lives in Bridlington, but he used to live in Glasshoughton and he's still a member of the Glasshoughton Working Mens Club". I seem to remember their secretary taking an instant dislike to me and giving me a right mouthful of abuse, I never did find out what I had done wrong. Our chairman stepped in between us before it started to get ugly. :lol:

Feb 4th 1997 Ossett Town 2 Ossett Albion 3.

Not sure about this one, I thought we won this game 2-1, unless my info is wrong.

Feb 4th 2003 AFC Telford United 1 Ossett Town 1

Sorry Spoff, this was actually 2006. Kittrick had just replaced Steve Richards. This was the game I alluded to last night, we had Luke Stanton and someone else sent off (David Briggs?), several others got booked and the ref lost control. Ossett Town were called to London to attend an FA disciplinary meeting, Steve kittrick and Graham Firth travelled down to represent the club, but when the FA looked at our general record over the season, they said they didn't understand why we had been summoned to London. Apparently they did admit that there had been a number of incidents with Telford and so they gave us a suspended fine.

And if it was February 2006, that's when we had all the bother with Thomo and the committee and all that :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 pm 

2006, you're right. A typo on my part.

Albion game 4/2/97 result taken from NCEL website, says it was a WRCC tie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm 

Feb 10, 2001 - Ossett Town 2 Farsley Celtic 0.

Feb 10, 2003 - Guiseley 2 Ossett Town 6.

We were having a shocking season, we had gone about 18 games with out a win, things weren't looking good at all. The committee threw a few quid at the problem and Brooky got some experienced players in on loan, including Nick Richardson the former Halifax and Chester player. We did that well in February we ended up winning the team of the month award. Sadly the money ran out and we went through another lengthy spell without winning up to the end of the season. We avoided relegation back to the NCEL only because no one from the Northern League came up. Brooky ended up leaving after a very acrimonious season off the field, including rumours that Brooky was going to take legal action against the club for some undisclosed reason, but nothing appears to have come of that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm 

Spoff wrote:
2006, you're right. A typo on my part.

Albion game 4/2/97 result taken from NCEL website, says it was a WRCC tie.

I never thought about the County Cup, I never kept the results from that competition,

Jan 3 - 2000, Lincoln United 1 Ossett Town 5 :mrgreen:

Lincoln always did well against us in the NCEL, and they were a little bit arrogant about it when they strolled through the NCEL on their way to the NPL; so it was very nice to go down there and not just win but run up a big score. I vaguely remember Matty Smithard running riot down the wings, I also vaguely remember being very drunk, the beer was very nice and very cheap. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 am 

Do you just have old results, or do you have starting 11's and the like?

I've all the starting 11's from 2008 onwards, but nothing from before that.

I want to be able to get an idea of record appearance holders and the like but doesn't appear info is available :-(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 am 

no, I didn't keep the team line up's, I rely heavily on my increasingly sporadic memory for anecdotes about players, though I have reference books (Rothman's etc) to check up those players who have been League players.

I'm sure I have all the results from the NCEL onwards, except for the County Cup, but I don't have them in date order, so they would be of no use to this thread. If and when I locate the results, i'll start posting on here. It will be from 1982 onwards.

I don't have much info about our Yorkshire League days and zilch about our Leeds/West Yorkshire League days.

All the old programmes I had I gave back to the club for their programme shop, but I understand they were sold off on E bay a few years ago during one of our innumerable financial crises.

There are people out there who know a lot than me about the history of the club, I understand the Furniss family may well have kept records. Arnold Furniss, who is no longer with us, seemed to be very knowledgeable about the early days of the club. His relatives may be able to help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:33 pm 

a couple of events which have been missed from this thread this month are -
6th feb 1999
NCEL premier division
ossett town 0 - 3 denaby united

tasker 1 yeomans
d.dodd 2 tunstall
slater 3 schofield (current sps manager)
evans 4 maybury
danby 5 phelan
stab 6 longden
smithard 7 Kerry
francis 8 grady
shaw 9 robshaw
brook 10 clark
oliver 11 renshaw
subs
saynor - mc mahon (fitness coach at sheff utd)
g.dodd - hobson (Sheffield boxing promoter)
watts - branagan (recent ossett signing)

scorers - longden, robshaw, renshaw,
att - 88