It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please note this forum is not an official Ossett Town forum and is in no way officially linked to Ossett Town FC.

Please ensure that you do not post anything libellous to this forum.

Post subject: Re: WHO WASN'T WHO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm 

little snippets of info come in unexpected places. I was looking at the programme from last Saturday's Barnsley v Leeds match, a large chunk of which was devoted to the late Norman Rimmington who died aged 93 recently and who had been with Barnsley FC since the war as goalkeeper, trainer, groundsman and general factotum at Oakwell. Amongst all the tributes from former officials, players, supporters and the like, there was the following passage.

DAVE MARKHAM

"In 1976, myself, Mick McCarthy, Ian Burgin, Gary Mallender and Glyn Riley worked with Norman as apprentices at BFC - great memories. He inspired us to be the first BFC side to win the Northern Intermediate League, he told us in our tea room chats what we were doing right or wrong, that he believed in us! Nobody was more happy than Norman when we lifted the trophy, he was only the groundsman then but we listened to his every word! Total Respect for him. RIP Norman."

Dave and Ian both played for Ossett Town in the 80's, Gary Mallender played for us in the 1993-94 season, Mick McCarthy you all know as Ipswich Town manager while Glyn Riley spent a number of years at Bristol City.

In the same programme, there is a reprint of a team sheet from the programme for a match between Barnsley and Leeds in April 1945, with Norman Rimmington in goal. At the bottom of the page is a notice of a forthcoming fixture at Oakwell between Barnsley reserves and Brodsworth Main in a replay in the Sheffield Senior Cup final, which got me thinking, if the Sheffield FA were running their county cup competitions during the war, perhaps the West Riding were too? something to look into at a future date perhaps.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 pm 

I made a brief mention of Craig Boardman's father George on the first page. What I knew at the time was that George was a Scotland Amateur International, but for some reason I didn't mention it at the time.

George played for Scotland's amateur team at the end of the 1962-63 season, in a tournament staged across various grounds in the north east of England.

Scotland were in group A with Italy, the Republic of Ireland and Switzerland; England were in group B with France, Holland and West Germany.

the first round of matches took place on May 15 - Scotland beat Ireland 5-1 at Bishop Auckland, Italy and Switzerland drew 1-1 in Whitley Bay, England beat France 3-1 in Hartlepool and West Germany beat Holland 1-0 in Durham.

the second round of matches took place on May 18 - Scotland beat Italy 3-1 in Darlington, Ireland and Switzerland drew 2-2 in Blyth, West Germany beat England 1-0 in Middlesbrough and France beat Holland 2-0 in South Shields.

the last round of matches took place on May 20 - Scotland drew with Switzerland 1-1 in Crook, Italy beat Ireland 2-0 in Carlisle, England beat Holland 3-1 in Gateshead and West Germany beat France 4-2 in North Shields.

the group winners were Scotland and West Germany and they met in the final on May 22 at Roker Park, Sunderland. Scotland won 5-2 with George Boardman scoring twice.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:33 pm 

George Boardman was playing for Queens Park at the time and a number of his colleagues from Queens Park were also in the Scotland squad. Other players in the squad were 16 year old Peter Lorimer who had already made his first team debut for Leeds United earlier in the season v Southampton. Another 16 year old in the team was Peter Cormack from Hibernian, he later played for Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The England squad was largely made up of players from the Isthmian League, including 4 players from Wimbledon, who were still an amateur team before turning professional a year or two later. The only northern players were M Barker from Bishop Auckland and G Brown from West Auckland. The best known player was the keeper Mike Pinner from Leyton Orient, who had played for Manchester United and Sheffield Wednesday amongst others.

The Ireland squad were made up entirely of players from League of Ireland clubs. The details of the other nations are not known.

George Boardman turned professional later that summer and joined Shrewsbury Town, where his manager was the all time Football League record goal scorer Arthur Rowley, who was still playing the occasional game. George played mainly alongside Frank Clarke, older brother of future Leeds and England striker Allan Clarke.

And if you are wondering why Peter Lorimer, who came from Dundee and for whom Don Revie had incurred a speeding ticket while driving up to Scotland to secure his signature, was an amateur with Leeds United; it was something to do with his age, the rules at the time didn't allow players below a certain age to become professionals. I can't remember the reasons why, but I think Bobby Charlton had the same situation at Manchester United.