It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1874 Promoted?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:50 pm 

1874 twittter I reporting that they've been promoted to the Premier Division.

Anyone know what's going on?

Post subject: Re: 1874 Promoted?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:11 pm 

I heard that Formby have resigned.

Formally Mr Vics

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 pm 

God, please let that be true! Pretty please with a cherry on top!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:59 pm 

Yep, Fomby have folded. What reason makes you want it to be true.

Formally Mr Vics

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:14 pm 

Too fabulous!!!!! :D :lol: Because the rearrangements of the NWCFL divisions are perfection from my POV!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:47 pm 

Matt (SHT Fan) wrote:
God, please let that be true! Pretty please with a cherry on top!

The moderator shows his class again!!

A shame for Formby, always sad to see a club fold.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:29 pm 

It is very sad indeed, they were a great opponent last year.

But I'm looking forward to visiting new grounds, especially linnets as they're a model that we aspire to.

Formally Mr Vics

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 pm 

daveo wrote:
The moderator shows his class again!!

Keep working at it and you will eventually develop some of your own!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 am 

Made up for 1874, had it not been for that slightly indifferent start they'd have gone up automatically anyway.

Obviously a great shame that its come in such circumstances...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm 

It's always sad when clubs fold but I am now really looking forward to playing 1874, I have seen you mentioning us (The Linnets) a few times on forums and you have big crowds, could we be looking at a Millbank Stadium ground record?

The only other thing can anyone explain why the FA rule that the league have used to confirm Wigan's relegation doesn't apply to Evo Stik teams I'm very confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 am 

Alanandy wrote:
The only other thing can anyone explain why the FA rule that the league have used to confirm Wigan's relegation doesn't apply to Evo Stik teams I'm very confused.

If you're referring to Kidsgrove's reprieve, then I believe the reasoning is that Eastwood's resignation during the season placed them at the bottom of the division. Althougn Kidsgrove finished bottom of the 21 teams which finished the season, they still finished one position above the bottom of the division.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm 

Sorry I'm still confused, the league seem to have applied the FA rule about bottom teams not being reprieved no matter what happens with other teams. The Evo Stik don't apply this rule seemingly with the blessing of the FA does that mean the FA will overturn our leagues decision or if Wigan appeal will it be overturned or do various leagues do what they like and the FA back them no matter what?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:07 am 

Alanandy wrote:
Sorry I'm still confused, the league seem to have applied the FA rule about bottom teams not being reprieved no matter what happens with other teams. The Evo Stik don't apply this rule seemingly with the blessing of the FA does that mean the FA will overturn our leagues decision or if Wigan appeal will it be overturned or do various leagues do what they like and the FA back them no matter what?

A couple of things regarding Evo Stik league this season. There were 22 teams in Kidsgrove's division this season. Eastwood, who resigned part way through the season, were placed bottom of the end of season table. Kidsgrove, one of the 21 teams which played on until the end of the season, were placed 21st - not bottom. That was all in accordance with FA ruling. Some publications only showed 21 of the teams in the end of season tables, which suggested that Kidsgrove finished bottom, but actually they were next to bottom, and therefore qualified for a reprieve, if one was available.

Secondly, it was not Evo-Stik League which decided that Kidsgrove should be reprieved, but the FA. It is the FA who determine promotions, relegations and sideways movements at all levels down to level 8. FA also determine promotion and relegation between level 8 and level 9, and sideways movements at level 9, should there this result in a surplus of clubs in any one league.
Promotions and relegations between level 9 and 10 for leagues which span both, as NWCFL does, are left to the league, but with the overriding rule that a club finishing bottom of a level 9 division cannot be reprieved.
As a hypothetical example, if Wigan had resigned during the latter part of the season, then NWCFL would still have reprieved the club finishing 21st (above Wigan), when The FA (not Evo-Stik) reprieved Kidsgrove.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am 

Thanks for taking the time to try and clarify this for an almost old eejit, it just seems to be designed to deny clubs, not just my own, the chance to progress whilst clubs like Ossett Albion who are clearly not good enough remain in their league.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 am 

Interesting one this as ever. It might be relevant to note that the FA ruling about the bottom club being certain to be relegated is, so far as I know, new to this season. This being the case then, under the previous rules, it is more than possible that no clubs would have been relegated from certain divisions under certain circumstances. Having said that, then what we have seen this season could certainly be considered as progress.

The situation regarding NPL 1N is interesting. At the time when both Cammell Laird and Wakefield announced their resignation from NPL 1N, there was a statement on the Evo-Stik website to the effect that these two clubs, having resigned from the League, would occupy the two relegation slots at the end of the season. So far as I understand the rules, this was not correct in that Ossett Albion were bottom of NPL 1N at the time. Towards the end of the season Ossett Albion collected a fair few points so ended up second bottom at the end of the season and got reprieved.

With regard to ambitious clubs such as Runcorn Linnets then the main problem is not necessarily the reprieve of clubs per se but the unwillingness of the FA to implement one of the conclusions of the Step 5/6 review which was carried out two or three seasons ago. In this was a blueprint to reduce the number of Step 5 leagues to 12 and, by relegating 4 clubs from each of the 6 Step 4 leagues allow for the promotion of two clubs from each Step 5 league. An opportunity wasted according to many.

Overall, it must be correct to encourage ambitious clubs who have the systems in place (and the relevant ground grading) to progress but, imagine what it must have been like back in the dark ages when clubs depended upon being elected to what was then the lowest tier of the professional game. Had a system of automatic promotion and relegation existed then it is more than possible that Altrincham would have been as successful as Wigan Athletic have been.