It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jessica Ennis Stand.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:17 pm 

Sheffield United have renamed the Bramall Lane stand The Jessica Ennis stand. Might be an idea to name
the stand at Frickley after some one famous to gain publicity or to name it to honour a former player maybe.
Any nominations? Can be serious ones or amusing ones, any would be good.

Post subject: Re: Jessica Ennis Stand.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm 

it would be nice to find a sponsor for the stand as every penny helps,but we seem to be down on luck with sponsors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:45 pm 

Blade wrote:
Sheffield United have renamed the Bramall Lane stand The Jessica Ennis stand. Might be an idea to name
the stand at Frickley after some one famous to gain publicity or to name it to honour a former player maybe.
Any nominations? Can be serious ones or amusing ones, any would be good.

Paul Jolly Stand.......a great local character :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 pm 

Presumably the new 10,000 seater stand behind the Frank Hill will be called the Stone Sheep Stand.

PS - can someone please kill me. In days of yore, my Fridays nights were full of scoring drugs & booking hookers - currently I'm watching 'Celebrity Master Chef'. Where did it all go wrong?

PPS - don't ever over cook your sea bass, it ruins a lovely piece of fish - samphire (fresh) is a perfect accompaniment

Hoping for mid table complacency

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm 

Was it Paul Jolly that used to sell Frickley programmes outside the ground? Least Athletico Madrid v Chelsea was
on the telly. I well remember Friday nights out in South Elmsall, starting and usually finishing in The Railway, The
Cheques,Plough. Westfield Hotel, Moorthorpe and Nags Head visited en route. Then walking home to Scawsby, usually meeting
mad Scotsmen intent on walking all the way to London, glad of a bit of company and to find out where they were sometimes.

Last edited by Blade on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 pm 

Blade wrote:
Was it Paul Jolly that used to sell Frickley programmes outside the ground? Least Athletico Madrid v Chelsea was
on the telly. I well remember Friday nights out in South Elmsall, starting and usually finishing in The Railway, The
Cheques, Westfield Hotel, Moorthorpe and Nags Head visited en route. Then walking home to Scawsby, usually meeting
mad Scotsmen intent on walking all the way to London, glad of a bit of company and to find out where they were sometimes.

I believe it was....he also used to go around selling the green un in the Empire club on a Saturday evening...He was doing the drinks refreshments for the players at the cricket club ?.......He still calls me John Rambo, as he has done since around 1990. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm 

'John Rambo' sounds very much like what he would say. Certainly a character. Forgot to mention The Plough
in the ramble about Friday night pub crawls, better when there was three rooms. Can remember the jukebox
room being painted purple. No idea why The Railway served Wilson's bitter, was very drinkable anyhow.
I like the idea of honouring a former player by naming the stand after him, think the candidates could be, Ron
Pounder, Sean Marshall, Russ Wilcox, Mark Hancock, Gary Hatto, Barry Gill, Keith Whiteley and Graham Reed.
Edited The Plough back in, two drinkers in The Dying Gladiator(Brigg) did not really believe me when I told them it had
been turned into a Jack Fulton's - sad! Couldn't blame it on the drink I was supping orange juice.
Ocassionally made it up to The Canteen on Friday nights and very occasionally walked home via Hooten Pagnell, never
met anybody walking that way, usually got home in the early hours of the morning. Rarely had a hangover after walking
it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:34 pm 

Blade wrote:
'John Rambo' sounds very much like what he would say. Certainly a character. Forgot to mention The Plough
in the ramble about Friday night pub crawls, better when there was three rooms. Can remember the jukebox
room being painted purple. No idea why The Railway served Wilson's bitter, was very drinkable anyhow.
I like the idea of honouring a former player by naming the stand after him, think the candidates could be, Ron
Pounder, Sean Marshall, Russ Wilcox, Mark Hancock, Gary Hatto, Barry Gill, Keith Whiteley and Graham Reed.
Edited The Plough back in, two drinkers in The Dying Gladiator(Brigg) did not really believe me when I told them it had
been turned into a Jack Fulton's - sad! Couldn't blame it on the drink I was supping orange juice.
Ocassionally made it up to The Canteen on Friday nights and very occasionally walked home via Hooten Pagnell, never
met anybody walking that way, usually got home in the early hours of the morning. Rarely had a hangover after walking
it.

Agreed, can't believe what they have done to the Old plough, Growing up i was good pals with the landlord Kenny Lynam's two sons, and spent many an hour their growing up as a child...When leaving school it was a great place for a pint and a fight, and then i went onto work the doors on a weekend around 10 years ago...

I supposed it's a sign of the time really, there were always too many pubs, but too many are now shutting every week.....Save our pubs eh.. :D :D :D

On the topic of naming the stand at Bramall Lane the Jessica Ennis Stand, What a joke that is...she's supposed to be a Blade, but has probably been to one match !!

I could think of far more fitting candidates, like Alan Hodgkinson who has just retired from coaching at around 71 years old. That would have been more fitting imo.

It would have been more fitting if they called the Don Valley stadium after her, where she does a lot of training. Especially with the DVS being a bit of a white elephant, it would have been good for Sheffield..

It's like calling the stand at Frickley, The Pete Bywater Stand :lol: ......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm 

At least all her family are Unitedites, I used to have season-tickets for the lower-tier when home fans were at the
bottom and away ones above and for the upper tier when away fans were below - a great view.
Could be the Mick Twiby stand I suppose. Put a good stint in for the club. Be some reward for his efforts.
Agree with SMS about Don Valley, think Jessica Ennis also trains at Woodburn Road and at the athletic facility near
The Arena, my dad and brother worked as bricklayers building the latter and on John Street at Bramall Lane. Used to watch
Howard Kendall jogging round the pitch. My dad and I having season-cards for John Street now.
Hodgy the first goalkeeper I saw play for The Blades, was getting on a bit, in his last season playing. Small for
a keeper but good enough to play for his country. A brilliant goalkeeping coach, one of the first I believe.
Does Alan Hodgkinson still live at Dinnington?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:43 pm 

Thought the pictures of Jessica Ennis on the stand named after her looked very good, of her holding the gold
medal, her name in very large letters on it too.
The more I think about it, the more I like the thought of naming the stand after Mick Twiby. Don't think I
want a picture of him on it though. Did a lot for the club, brought in some decent managers and players and
watched plenty of other teams scouting for talent, I saw him and Ray Hepworth a few times at Goole Town,
we did sign a few players from there - nothing new. Also saw them at other grounds when watching non-league
football elsewhere.
Be good, if only until a sponsor could be found to put their name to it.