It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Worksop v Frickley Programme
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 am 

I've been clearing out all my old programmes, donating them to our club shop but I did find some from the late 60's/early 70's which I kept, one of which was v Frickley Colliery on 11th September 1971 in the old Midland Counties League.

The Frickley side that day as listed in the programme was:

1. Chapman
2. Pounder
3. Jones
4. Bagnall
5. Parsons
6. Holland
7. Himsworth
8. Moran
9. Levitt
10. Sawyer
11. Rogerson

Bring back any memories? Yes, I know it was before you were born John before you say anything!

The Worksop side was Evans, Worth, Radford, Gallagher, Hallam, Nowakowski, Beswick, Lee, Reid, Pearson Oxley

Post subject: Re: Old Worksop v Frickley Programme
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 pm 

Finchley Tiger wrote:
I've been clearing out all my old programmes, donating them to our club shop but I did find some from the late 60's/early 70's which I kept, one of which was v Frickley Colliery on 11th September 1971 in the old Midland Counties League.

The Frickley side that day as listed in the programme was:

1. Chapman
2. Pounder
3. Jones
4. Bagnall
5. Parsons
6. Holland
7. Himsworth
8. Moran
9. Levitt
10. Sawyer
11. Rogerson

Bring back any memories? Yes, I know it was before you were born John before you say anything!

The Worksop side was Evans, Worth, Radford, Gallagher, Hallam, Nowakowski, Beswick, Lee, Reid, Pearson Oxley

That ones for TMc i think, I wonder if Frickley thrashed Worksop that day, as i may have been conceived on the back of that game/result......I was born in June 1972 after all ! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 pm 

They were the days FT, when men were men. Ron Pounder like his 'refreshments' and could still stop anything that moved.

And they played proper formations, none of this 2-1-1-3-1-2-2-1-2-1-1 overlapping diamond Xmas tree business. So basically if you were being marked by the number 5, you knew you were getting an elbow in the kidneys at a corner.

Who can forget the famous Worksop chant "There's only 2 ks in Nowakowski etc"

Hoping for mid table complacency

Frank Wilcox, Russ Wilcox, Joe Wilcox. Who next?

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 pm 

Mini Maureenio wrote:
They were the days FT, when men were men. Ron Pounder like his 'refreshments' and could still stop anything that moved.

And they played proper formations, none of this 2-1-1-3-1-2-2-1-2-1-1 overlapping diamond Xmas tree business. So basically if you were being marked by the number 5, you knew you were getting an elbow in the kidneys at a corner.

Who can forget the famous Worksop chant "There's only 2 ks in Nowakowski etc"

We should try that formation......but let's hope the ref forgets to do his player count before kick off !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:51 pm 

Can remember all the Frickley players named apart from Himsworth. Think most of them played against Rotherham
United in the FA Cup at Westfield Lane - a few featured in a recent article I had in the programme. Good memories of
most of them. Can't remember any of the Worksop Town players though I may have been at the match.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 pm 

John, I just broke into Liars as I fancied an eggy pint & tomorrows team list was on the bar - I can guarantee that's the line up for us against Ashton. Luds in back, Ashmore's back (on crutches), Larry Grayson is back (on crutches), Mark Gray is back (but he can't sit down due to the splinters in his bottom from the subs bench at NFU), the Flying Wardrobe is back, Hightower is back, Rinkys cooking the pies (& gravy) & Gary Hatto is coming on in the second half. Be afraid Ashton, be very afraid.

Wonder if there will be an Ashton fan who lives in Mansfield on my train tomorrow

Oh yes, Birmingham will win the football card again too.

See you about 2 o clock

Hoping for mid table complacency

Frank Wilcox, Russ Wilcox, Joe Wilcox. Who next?

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:21 pm 

SMS don't know the result but Worksop finished 6th, Frickley 9th.
Worksop p34 w17 d7 l10 f70 a53 pts 41
Frickley p34 w13 d8 l13 f46 a47 pts34

hope it is interest to Finchley Tiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:30 pm 

Would be nice if we had Pounder Barry Gill and Hatto playing Sat. Great memorys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:50 pm 

TMc wrote:
SMS don't know the result but Worksop finished 6th, Frickley 9th.
Worksop p34 w17 d7 l10 f70 a53 pts 41
Frickley p34 w13 d8 l13 f46 a47 pts34

hope it is interest to Finchley Tiger

Thanks TMc. The following season we went on to win the Midland League, the only time I have seen us win any League. We also won the old Midland League in 1965/66, but I'm not old enough to remember it as I was only two at the time!

Finding these old programmes certainly brought back a few memories.

If any of you would like to see the old Worksop v Frickley programme I'll bring it to the cup game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm 

Chapman and Sawyer(right winger) were former Rotherham United players and very good indeed for Colliery.
Pounder was a very solid defender, Jones would probably get sent off every game today, a very hard tackler.
Bagnall and Holland could both play in defence or midfield, the latter having a powerful shot. Parsons was
not very tall for a centre half, played against Halifax Town at The Shay in the FA Cup despite being injured, it
showed. Himsworth I still cannot remember. Bugsy Moran was a small striker, bit quick and lots of energy.
Levitt was a no nonsense midfielder and could play as a centre forward, left footed ex Mexborough Town. Daryl
Rogerson was a skillfull left winger who could be kicked out of games. I wonder if Terry Turner was injured or
if he was no longer with Colliery by then? A good header of the ball, scored a few goals. Keith Avery a very
promising midfielder might have been at the club about then or a bit later too.