It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bridlington Friendly
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 pm 

3-0 HT to Frickley...Gavin Allott hat-trick

Finished 3-0 .......Look forward to seeing you all at home on Saturday against Stourport Swifts......2pm Kick off

Post subject: Re: Bridlington Friendly
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm 

Another promising display,especially in first half. Plenty of good football played on the ground. Brid came into the game a bit more in the second half withouit causing too much trouble at the back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:12 am 

Going very well so far. Gavin Allott certainly hitting the net like he used to with Goole - long may it continue.
Looking forward to the home game and seeing the improved pitch. Why 2pm?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am 

Blade wrote:
Going very well so far. Gavin Allott certainly hitting the net like he used to with Goole - long may it continue.
Looking forward to the home game and seeing the improved pitch. Why 2pm?

I imagine the fact that it's a 260 mile round trip back to Stourport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 am 

seanmarshallsshorts wrote:
Stourport

Who?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 am 

salkster wrote:
seanmarshallsshorts wrote:
Stourport

Who?

:lol:

It's the pick of this weekend's games...They will be flocking in to theatre of screams from everywhere, ESPN may be covering this one live !!!

Apparently Poole Pidgeons Fc were not available for a game :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 pm 

Strange choice of opponents for a friendly. Certainly a team I cannot remember seeing before or heard
a great deal about. It a long journey, one I am glad not to be making.
Many of our local rivals have better friendlies against league sides, but that the price of the manager leaving
at the end of the season and the bad reputation of the pitch and of the general South Elmsall area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 pm 

Blade wrote:
Strange choice of opponents for a friendly. Certainly a team I cannot remember seeing before or heard
a great deal about. It a long journey, one I am glad not to be making.
Many of our local rivals have better friendlies against league sides, but that the price of the manager leaving
at the end of the season and the bad reputation of the pitch and of the general South Elmsall area.

Looking at the Stourport website, they have just dropped out of the Evo Southern league into the Midland alliance league.

I will have to have a word with Sir Neil at Leeds Utd for next pre-season. Saying that, if the Leeds Utd takeover happens as planned, he may not be there next season. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm 

Although friendlies against Football League teams are often seen as a good test & slightly more glamorous than Stourport (as a for instance, no slight intended), I don't really see what someone in Evostik gains from playing the likes of Sheff United (again, a for instance).

The 'league' team usually send a core team of under 21s, with a couple of fringe first team players - how many times in a season are Frickley going to play against an opposition team of full time 21 year old professionals? Answer - less than none, so they really don't gain a thing.

Hemsworth, Brid etc may not be exciting, but it's in & around the standard that we'll be playing against.

See Gilbertos thread on the main forum entitled 'Alternative Pre-Season Match Thread' - it sums up my thoughts very humorously.

Hoping for mid table complacency

BLOOR IS BACK!!!

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm 

Mini Maureenio wrote:
Although friendlies against Football League teams are often seen as a good test & slightly more glamorous than Stourport (as a for instance, no slight intended), I don't really see what someone in Evostik gains from playing the likes of Sheff United (again, a for instance).

The 'league' team usually send a core team of under 21s, with a couple of fringe first team players - how many times in a season are Frickley going to play against an opposition team of full time 21 year old professionals? Answer - less than none, so they really don't gain a thing.

Hemsworth, Brid etc may not be exciting, but it's in & around the standard that we'll be playing against.

See Gilbertos thread on the main forum entitled 'Alternative Pre-Season Match Thread' - it sums up my thoughts very humorously.

Agreed, But the point of getting a local league club for at least one game, is much needed money in the kitty. Leeds Utd came several seasons ago and the gate was around 700-800. Stocksbridge had nearly 900 in attendance for a game against Barnsley last night, around 2000 for the Sheffield Wednesday game....Nice little earners. We will be lucky to muster up 100 this Saturday.

Pre season is all about getting some fitness,cohesion and looking at players. But to get one league team attracts the Non regulars as well, maybe we could just grab one or two of those to keep coming ?.

I'm not blaming anyone at Frickley, I believe Steve wrote to the pro clubs around March, I think it's a case of more, who you know. ie. managers contacts etc. which is why Karl tried to get Barnsley to come, but it was too late.

Oh well, there's always next season...........Barcelona at the lane maybe, i'm sure we conjur up something between us Mini, we could basically lie ...we've had enough practice in liar's bar eh!! :lol:

ps. How was Greece, i imagine they are a lot better off now you've given the economy a boost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 pm 

Greece was superb mate - I tried to keep my eyes on the stock markets to see how the Greek beer & wine industry were doing on the back of my efforts. I made such an effort one night that I ended up on the Baileys!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with the Greek national (waiters of Crete employed by Iberostar) 11 up the Lane next season, although having seen some of my more majestic efforts on the hotel mini golf course I get the feeling that they 'don't like it up em'.

Back on the Lidl lager tonight, how the mighty are fallen!

Looking forward to my first match fella - pity Matlock is midweek but I'm gonna do my best. Gotta give Larry Grayson & Ashmore some 'advice' - see you in Liars all being well.

Agreed about the cash benefits of the league teams coming to the Lane, funnily enough it always seems to be Barnsley that draw the best gate.

PS - some quality banter on Twitter from the boys, loving it.

Is it true that Neil took Penny to the Brid match & they went 'all inclusive', chips for tea & toast for brekkers!

Hoping for mid table complacency

BLOOR IS BACK!!!

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:24 pm 

As far as I am aware it seems Stourport contacted the Blues for a fixture. Why they picked us I don't know, perhaps some knows the name from the days when we played Kidderminster in the Conference. I suppose the 2pm K.O is so the the players arrive home at a reasonable time to be able to have a Saturday night out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

Mini Maureenio wrote:
Greece was superb mate - I tried to keep my eyes on the stock markets to see how the Greek beer & wine industry were doing on the back of my efforts. I made such an effort one night that I ended up on the Baileys!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with the Greek national (waiters of Crete employed by Iberostar) 11 up the Lane next season, although having seen some of my more majestic efforts on the hotel mini golf course I get the feeling that they 'don't like it up em'.

Back on the Lidl lager tonight, how the mighty are fallen!

Looking forward to my first match fella - pity Matlock is midweek but I'm gonna do my best. Gotta give Larry Grayson & Ashmore some 'advice' - see you in Liars all being well.

Agreed about the cash benefits of the league teams coming to the Lane, funnily enough it always seems to be Barnsley that draw the best gate.

PS - some quality banter on Twitter from the boys, loving it.

Is it true that Neil took Penny to the Brid match & they went 'all inclusive', chips for tea & toast for brekkers!

Pen was 40 last week, or woz it 50 !! anyway, a treat maybe ?? :lol: I will let you ask mate !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 pm 

Would have been nice to have a stand out game, even if it was against a fellow non-league club. A league club
would bring some supporters with them and bring some money in and it good to see the players up against better
opposition to see if they cope or not.
There better attendances at Hallam against young pro sides Man City and Sheff Wed than if they had played the
likes of Frickley or Worksop. Think they'll have made a tidy sum from pre-season after the Sheff Utd match.
The problem with only playing lesser sides in friendlies is the jump up in standard when the league games start,
might be a lot more difficult. However, winning breeds confidence.
The Bridlington result good anyhow, as they are usually one of the best at their level. Queensgate a ground I've
visited many times and remember seeing a pre-season tournament there featuring Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur
among others and first team players played. Think some of the games were played at Scarborough, but the final
was at Brid, can't remember the result.