It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Devlin.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:24 pm 

I see that Romulus have signed Paul Devlin, was very good for the Blades but always insisted on having the
ball played to his feet not into space to run on to. Think he will demand it even more so now he's forty years
of age. Follows in the footsteps of the likes of Tony Currie and Chris Waddle. Can't be easy for former international
footballers to drop down to Northern Premier League level.
I believe Devlin may have played in the league when he was younger, not sure who for though.
Pity Frickley can't get some one like Currie, Devlin or Waddle to add a bit of class and experience. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Paul Devlin.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 pm 

Blade wrote:
I see that Romulus have signed Paul Devlin, was very good for the Blades but always insisted on having the
ball played to his feet not into space to run on to. Think he will demand it even more so now he's forty years
of age. Follows in the footsteps of the likes of Tony Currie and Chris Waddle. Can't be easy for former international
footballers to drop down to Northern Premier League level.
I believe Devlin may have played in the league when he was younger, not sure who for though.
Pity Frickley can't get some one like Currie, Devlin or Waddle to add a bit of class and experience. Any suggestions?

One of my favourite ever players when i was a regular down at the lane, he could drink as well. Remember going to a few Sheff Utd supporters presentations end of season. Devlin, Tracey and David Kelly hammered one year falling all over, it din't go down that well with Mr Warnock. I remember one year midfielder Ian Hamilton getting up on stage, taking over the mic and calling his wife every name under the sun, as they were going through a bitter divorce i believe.....but it was funny. Devlin certainly one of the best wingers to grace the right wing spot since Colin Morris. Will never forget his thunderbolt against Blackburn when Souness was manager, It was also live on T.V .Former favourite Alan Kelly was in goal, Souness blamed Kelly after the game on sky and he never played for the club again.

Devlin was a traditional tricky wing player, don't see many of them around nowadays....is Micky Wadsworth still available :D

Post subject: Re: Paul Devlin.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 am 

I liked Devlin too, not quite as good as Colin Morris and nowhere near as good as Alan Woodward. Made and scored
goals. I liked Alan Kelly too, but he was prone to letting long shots in that he should have saved. Mick Wadsworth a
well respected coach, Sheff Utd tried to get him in but he went to Barnsley instead. Is he still at Hartlepool? Really
liked him when he played for the Blues, was seriously fast but didn't do any defending whatsoever. A great winger at
non-league level.