It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any updates on ins & outs for players
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 pm 

I can only name three former Mexborough Town players, but they were good 'un's. Jim Levitt, Billy
Whitehurst and Charlie Green. Don't think the latter was particularly popular at Goole's Victoria Pleasure
Grounds, not certain why. Only been to Mexborough Town's ground once for a friendly against Doncaster Rovers.
Spent a few weeks in hospital there learning how to walk again.
I seem to remember Mexborough Town doing the double against Frickley one season and deserving
their victory at Westfield Lane, I believe Billy was in their side.
The three players mentioned might make it into a best twenty two Blues' players ever squad,
or at least be seriously considered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 pm 

was introduced to mexborough town at a very early age as my dad was a mexborough lad and his parents lived a 2 minute walk from the ground,used to take me there and then to his parents straight after the game where i remember my gran used to give me bananas and custard for tea every saturday,dont think i could eat that now,yuk,remember mexboro having a good run in the trophy i think it was playing fleetwood and grantham before falling to scarborough before some cracking gates,think it was about 1970ish,used to have an inside forward called pat cullen who went to halifax town from mexborough,dont think he made anything in the pro game though.jim levitt was a big no nonsense player,left back or left half(thats when it was called that)

Last edited by blue stan on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 pm 

got me thinking of the old days now,remembering,fruit salads and black jacks,spangles,kayli and a penny lolly to dip in,mmm.
ex wednesday legend mick prendergast(god bless him) played at mexboro after he retired from the pro game,a very nice amiable guy he was too,used to play cricket in the summer for denaby and cadeby whilst still a pro and would always have time for autographs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 pm 

Jim Levitt played in midfield for Frickley, a good passer and scored goals. Can't ever remember him at left back
for The Blues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 am 

I don't know, you old timers....cuppa tea anyone ?? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 am 

Looking through some old Frickley programmes of 1970s, Jim Levitt always wore number 10 shirt. Inside left in the old systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:47 pm 

Going to back to the title of this thread then......I take it Jim Levitt is out :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm 

i dont think his knees will stand upto it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 pm 

Seen via Twitter that Darren Kelly, A 32 year old Irish defender, who used to play for Derry,Carlisle and York but was recently playing for Garforth is coming to Frickley.......which is good, as we need somebody who can drink all the Guinness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 pm 

Don't think he'll bother over much with the black stuff if it comes in cans, can't beat proper draught. A
very good pint of it in The Roebuck Tavern in Sheffield, almost as good in the Frog And Parrot, not too
bad in The Moorthorpe, but depends who is pulling it, some can and some never will. Hope he's a decent
footballer anyhow.
It strange that Sheff Utd offer Guinness in the South Stand but don't in The John Street Stand.
Had a decent pint and half of it in the Sports' Bar in Wembley, there only lager or coke on offer in the
stadium itself - very poor for choice and expensive.
The Cross Keys in York another really good pint, lots of real ales in there now too.
Shred (legendry United fan) used to drink black and tan, half bitter, half Guinness - don't see anyone
drinking it thesedays. Irish midfielder Mark Todd (Sheff Utd) was said to have drunk milk and Guinness,
probably did to build himself up, but not in the same glass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 pm 

Blade wrote:
Don't think he'll bother over much with the black stuff if it comes in cans, can't beat proper draught. A
very good pint of it in The Roebuck Tavern in Sheffield, almost as good in the Frog And Parrot, not too
bad in The Moorthorpe, but depends who is pulling it, some can and some never will. Hope he's a decent
footballer anyhow.
It strange that Sheff Utd offer Guinness in the South Stand but don't in The John Street Stand.
Had a decent pint and half of it in the Sports' Bar in Wembley, there only lager or coke on offer in the
stadium itself - very poor for choice and expensive.
The Cross Keys in York another really good pint, lots of real ales in there now too.
Shred (legendry United fan) used to drink black and tan, half bitter, half Guinness - don't see anyone
drinking it thesedays. Irish midfielder Mark Todd (Sheff Utd) was said to have drunk milk and Guinness,
probably did to build himself up, but not in the same glass.

If you lived back locally Blade, you wouldn't touch The Moorthorpe with a barge pole. It's full of undesirable's. Unless that's what you like.

I can't see the clientel who frequent that establishment having any interest in Non League footy, Sheffield United, Train times and Real Ale. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm 

Some of the Moorthorpe regulars do ask me who Frickley are playing when they see me in there
and ocassionally say they might go to the game but seldom do.
Must admit that I didn't drink in there last season and try to keep myself to myself when supping
there. Not somewhere you would go to to make friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:09 pm 

Good turn out a first training session, around 25 players making there way on a run around Frickley park (3 times), with big James Dudgeon leading the way :shock: .

Danny South was in attendance along with another player who was at Frickley the start of last season. Interestingly there was a tricky winger in the stand watching, called Terry Curran, I don't think he asked for a trial anyway. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 pm 

how many of last seasons squad was there then SMS?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 pm 

blue stan wrote:
how many of last seasons squad was there then SMS?

just the two, but a good turn out....I think the coaching staff are keen on the old fitness side :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next