It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre-season friendlies.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am 

Blade wrote:
Bentley were due to play Retford on Saturday at Balby Carr, no idea why, it was rained off of course. Bentley's
ground prone to being waterlogged. Been there a few times, usually have one or two decent players but you
can clearly see why the rest of them are playing at that low standard. Another ground that suffers from vandalism,
Bentley Victoria put out of business because of it.
Worksop Parramore are at home to Belper too, I haven't been to Sandy Lane or Worksop for quite some time, might
be worth considering.

A few ex Frickley men in Belper's ranks, Simpkins, Leonard and Mark Ward i believe. Also Peter Duffield the manager.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:03 pm 

The Askern game off, wouldn't have been able to go anyway after medical advise - got to rest for the
rest of the week. Have to look for a match on Saturday, if given the go ahead on Friday morning. A bit
of a struggle to walk at the moment, probably did more than I should have at Selby and going to Wakefield
and doing quite a bit of walking there not helping matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm 

glyn cotton and ash longstaff are also at belper,cotton played under karl rose at goole,i wonder if he fancies a return to the lane,wouldnt mind seeing him in a blue shirt again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 pm 

Brigg added to the pre-season fixtures, a town I like. A bit of a walk to the ground from the town centre and
very few trains stop there, sometimes better to use the bus to and from Scunthorpe. Hope its stopped raining
by then, a day like today would do nicely. Hope I can get there and it doesn't clash with Sheff Utd's fixtures.

Ryan Mallon now also at Belper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:52 pm 

Think the Garforth match might not go ahead, from what I heard at Selby today. The ground is locked and
the man responsible for paying the bills has gone awol in Africa to avoid paying back money he owes
to loan sharks according to what was said today by people with local knowledge - whether it's true or not I don't
know.
A decent game against a Grimsby Town eleven who won one-nil thanks to a poor clearance by the home keeper
early on. Both teams trying to play football on the pitch. A bit disappointed that the tall left back I was impressed
with the last time wasn't playing, there no natural left footer on view for The Robins. Wonder if he's signed for
a club at a higher level.
Looks like there's some good, honest triers at Selby but no one too outstanding, though the long haired centre half/
captain was a decent defender on the ground and in the air but I doubt he could step up to a higher standard
easily.
Garforth did play at Hemsworth, so those speaking might have been talking rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm 

Going to the Hallam v Manchester City under eighteen side - a lot of youth internationals and future stars
on show. Methinks the Countrymen are going to do a lot of chasing shadows. Be interesting to see if the
ground as been improved since I was there last a couple of seasons ago in the pouring rain watching Worksop

Hallam also play Wednesday and Sheff Utd at home in friendlies. Should be good attendances at all three.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:45 pm 

the only way they would improve that ground is if there was another war and a bomb was dropped on it.
.....................................................a horrible place for football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 pm 

Get yourselves down to Stocksbridge tomorrow since you guys haven't started yet. Wednesday sending a strong team.

The provisional first team squad:

V Stocksbridge: Weaver, Lee, Beevers, R Johnson, Reynolds, D Jones, M Jones, Lines, Amado, Maguire, Madine

Admission prices (pay on the gate) are as follows:

Stocksbridge v Owls
£7 Adults
£5 OAPs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 pm 

watch wednesday.....i would sooner chew my arm,good luck to your boys salkster,hope you get a good gate,there was 2 good gates for ncel teams on saturday,810 at parkgate v rotherham,and over 700 at cleethorpes v donny rovers,set those 2 clubs up nicely to start the season with,just a pity we couldnt have lined up a big club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm 

blue stan wrote:
watch wednesday.....i would sooner chew my arm,good luck to your boys salkster,hope you get a good gate,there was 2 good gates for ncel teams on saturday,810 at parkgate v rotherham,and over 700 at cleethorpes v donny rovers,set those 2 clubs up nicely to start the season with,just a pity we couldnt have lined up a big club.

We have.....Stourport Swifts are massive, in Stourport :D

as to watching the owls, I would rather watch my daughter's Peppa Pig compilation on DVD :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:37 am 

Over three hundred people watched an entertaining game in which Hallam played a major part and were slightly
to be losing two-one when I left to get the bus, about five to ten minutes before the end.
Quite a few football people doing some scouting, including Notts County's ex Man City and Blades' defender Keith
Curle.
Some big improvements since I was there last, a new very good clubhouse with views of the pitch (handy in winter/
cold weather), a wall around two sides of the ground and new barriers. The pitch looked good, but Man City's youth
team, one or two of the defenders looked a little older and larger, struggled to adjust to the slope.
Certainly a better place to watch football than it was.
Two televisions in the clubhouse and there were plenty of people serving.
The bus stop for the 51 to the ground moved up from the HMV to across from the next tram stop up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 am 

Slightly unlucky was that meant say blade ,Pkease pay attention when writing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am 

copper dragon wrote:
Slightly unlucky was that meant say blade ,Pkease pay attention when writing

Yes pkease, sorry please pay attention Blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 pm 

Didn't see the omission due to rushing to get ready for an appointment at the doctors. Hallam were
a bit unlucky imo. My attention elsewhere, I will try to do better in future.
I was impressed by the improvements at the oldest football ground in the world. Still a few things that
could do with upgrading but not important. Somewhere to park the away team's coach might be handy.
It parked in the nearby flats drive, which wasn't popular with some of the people living there.
I just hope the planned improvements at Frickley are as good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 pm 

Slow down Mr blade no use rushing about ,frickleys facilities will be the best but to some people it will still be a dump but its our place we proud of

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next