It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gigg Lane 14/3/09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 am 

Morning,

Looking forward to your visit tomorrow. Here's the heads-up about food and drink;-

The catering inside the ground is provided by a third party who pay Bury FC for the privilege. The prices for their products are very high. For example a pie (£2.40) and coke (£1.80) will set you back well over £4. It's £1 for a chocolate bar. The quality of the food does not match the price, I'm afraid.

FC United has nothing to do with the catering, nor the pricing.

The burger van outside the gate is another matter. The food is very good, with a choice of burgers, hotdogs and hot cooked-meat baguettes (pork, turkey etc), hot and cold drinks. The prices are considerably lower and a contribution is made to FC funds for every purchase.

Please ask your fans to "vote with their feet" and avoid buying in the ground.

There are a good few pubs in the vicinity. The Swan & Cemetery is around a third of a mile from Gigg Lane down Manchester Road (back towards the M60 motorway). The Pack Horse is another popular pub and this is the FC fans' favourite. It is probably a quarter of a mile towards Bury, also on Manchester Road but in the opposite direction to the S&C. If you fancy a beer and a chat with a few of our lot you'll normally find someone in there from 1ish. Other pubs worthy of a mention are the Waterloo and the Staff Of Life (again closer to Bury) on Manchester Road.

Because we play at a League ground, the attendance normally means two stands will be open. The Manchester Road End is behind the goal and is normally populated by FC's noisier elements. The Main Stand contains the away fans, sponsors and officials and the FC fans who prefer a side-on experience. There is segregation, so once you go in, you're there for the whole game. No-one will be arsed if you go in the MRE, or in the Main Stand with the FC fans. Alternatively, if you want to try to make some noise, you can all get together in your "end."

Enjoy the game. Sorry about the three points... :wink:

Post subject: Re: Gigg Lane 14/3/09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:55 pm 

well i'll be there :D and i'll be sampling your end of the gound just for the hell of it :lol:
3 points ? running before you can walk matey :shock: :wink:

see you there or maybe not :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 am 

Reckon Frickley have a good chance of a decent result toorrow. Two of Fc's best attacking players - Kyle Wilson & Dave Neville are out long term & this has rather ruined our season. If teams can overcome their initial nerves of playing in front of a big crowd - they have every chance of a win. Fc usually concede the 1st goal at Gigg between the 1st & 10th minute & then its all uphill from there. Dont know Frickley's situation re players but Fc havnt got cover for the 2 missing players. If Fc do win it'll be by hard graft alone - keeper Sam Ashton has been very good this season + Simon Carden battling in the middle, but the rest have been hit & miss. Desparate for a striker (unibond quality) - like I said though - know nowt about Frickley's team but it'll be close as Fc are nowt special at present (sad to say) :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:41 am 

Konspiracy wrote:
Reckon Frickley have a good chance of a decent result tomorrow. Two of Fc's best attacking players - Kyle Wilson & Dave Neville are out long term & this has rather ruined our season.

Jerome is suspended as well. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 am 

The main club site suggests we will have at least two suspended, and our leading scorer is now out for the season... We need others to now pick up the running that he did. He wasn't just about goals.

Other than that, we're in decent-enough form. Should be a decent and dare i say close game. Mind you, your fans at our place earlier said that game was the best you had played in weeks... Good eh?

I'll be in the 'away' bit. We need to show some solidarity and stand together IMO.

Up the Blues'.

PS. I'll give an assessment of the ref after the game, win, lose or draw!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:09 pm 

Bit of an end of season feel to the game - felt like nowt to play for for either team. First time Fc have performed ok against a team lower in the league. A half decent performance from Fc & Frickley a bit too friendly for me - didnt seem really up for the game - think if Frickley had anything to play for (play offs or avoiding relegation) might have been a different game - but definite end of season game - nothing special to write home about - Fc competent & Frickley reasonable but didnt create many chances (prefer a bit of blood n guts to a game myself)- couldve been a testimonial game in 2nd half but 3 points I suppose & one of our first doubles over any team this saeson.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:14 pm 

One word for today unfortunately. Awful.

They aren't a great side, very average in fact. But we struggled to get in to the game. Although we had chances (mostly to Knox) we were second best. They went 2-0 up with their first two efforts on target. We gifted them 3 points.

Too many players simply didn't turn up today.

Ground - typical league ground that has been done up over the years... soulless at this level - even with the 1800 Mancs banging and shouting for 90 minutes. Way, way too expensive - for any level - from a catering point of view.

Best bit of day was watching plastic Mancs get wound up in the social club as the scousers banged in the third and fourth goals...

Hopefully we'll meet again next season and not get overawed in both fixtures.

One to forget.

Oh yes, the ref... largely went un-noticed Rory... certainly not to blame for the toothless performance.

Roll on Tuesday - it can only get better than that. Surely.

Up the Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:16 pm 

Konspiracy wrote:
Bit of an end of season feel to the game - felt like nowt to play for for either team. First time Fc have performed ok against a team lower in the league. A half decent performance from Fc & Frickley a bit too friendly for me - didnt seem really up for the game - think if Frickley had anything to play for (play offs or avoiding relegation) might have been a different game - but definite end of season game - nothing special to write home about - Fc competent & Frickley reasonable but didnt create many chances (prefer a bit of blood n guts to a game myself)- couldve been a testimonial game in 2nd half but 3 points I suppose & one of our first doubles over any team this saeson.

You did OK against our lot earlier aswell... Both teams had key players out i believe - we certainly did. We haven't been 'hurt' too much by todays results. So another game gone and as we were...

Stewards are a bit over zealous aren't they?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 pm 

Frickley wrote:
Way, way too expensive - for any level - from a catering point of view

You didn't buy anything in the ground did you? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:45 pm 

very, very nearly. But in the end... No!

£1.60 for a bovril... i don't think so!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 am 

Frickley wrote:
very, very nearly. But in the end... No!

£1.60 for a bovril... i don't think so!

I bought a Bovril (just the once) was absolutely freezin a few weeks ago & needed something to defrost the hands - 1.60 - bloody scandalous. Bought one last week at Matlock for a quid & huge cheeseburger for around 2.50 - cant wait till we move out of bloody Gigg lane. Its the worst ground for teams to visit in the Unibond & no complaints about any away ground Ive been to this season.