It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Micky Mouse Cups
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 pm 

I remember not too long ago a Cup Final at Hillsborough which the club and its supporters thought was quite worthy.
Quite a bit further back I remember a Cup Final at Main Road, at this Final
The club thought it an honour to be competing in the Final of the League Challenge Cup.
Why people refer to any cup, other than the FA Challenge Cup of the FA Challenge Trophy as Micky Mouse Cups bemuses me. We have hardly covered ourselves in glory in the the two FA Competitions in recent years.
I remember the two Finals, already mentioned, and the excitement even, from the supporters who attended both and celebrated the one win and enjoyed the occasion of the one loss.
This football club ought to be competing to win these competitions, Trust me an appearance in the Finals would enhance the status of the club. And I promise you that the fans / supporters would be there in numbers and cheering for a win .

Post subject: Re: Micky Mouse Cups
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 pm 

If you have a read around the websites you will see that most of the Unibond prem teams put out weaker sides in last nights Unibond cup games, that says it all dont you think? I think that most clubs dident want to risk players getting hurt or booked at this stage of the season. Maybe its a bit unfair to call these cups Shef/Unibond micky mouse cups but it looks like that is how they are viewed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:32 am 
I think people refer to the Unibond League competitions as 'mickey mouse' because of the lack of prize money compared to the FA competitions.

Holding the Unibond League Cup final at Maine Road was something for clubs to aim for. It has devalued the competition since it is now held over either; two legs, neutral ground or the clubs toss a coin to see who gets home advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:59 am 

Its inevitable, we find, that, often, due to work commitments etc teams are somewhat under strength for the mid week cup games...... does allow other squad members to show their goods.... oft with surprising results.
Must agree with AW about them raising the clubs profile and gives you a good chance to sample things outside your own division.