It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Attendances
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 am 

So what’s the excuse for league games bluebeard last home game as l said earlier 193 never known attendances as low as that for league games and supposedly best football ever still think this team is worse than last year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

I've been reading this thread and I think peoples memory is a bit rose tinted regarding attendances up at the Lane. I think there's a bit of a myth about all these people who used to come to games but no longer bother. We've never been the best supported team in the world, even when we were in the Conference. We've been able to pull in a decent crowd for big games but overall there's always been a ridiculous amount of apathy from the people of Elmsall.
Without doing too much research I would say we probably had an average in the 200-260 range throughout our time in the NPL Prem and we'll probably be somewhere in that bracket this season. I do know that our last season in the Conference saw us average 422 (thank you Rothmans yearbook) and although this was a relegation season and just after the strike, I don't imagine the average for previous years in the Conference was much above 500-550. Considering it's now 30 years later and we are 4 divisions below that level, the drop isn't really that dramatic.
I've have done a quick check of our attendances in the league cup over the years and 107 doesn't represent a significant drop, e.g. we got 106 in the Semi-Final against Fylde in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 pm 

Thanks for the info Bluedragon. When we get back to normal (a lot of people wait for the kids to go back to go on holiday) I think the crowds will pick up, especially when we start turning on the style again!.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

To be fair, my last comment was tongue in cheek, i agree league Cup and Sheffield cup games are not well attended at all.

The point I've been trying to make is, is that for years when we've been down at the bottom end of the table, crowds have been low, and people have always said it ONLY because we're at the bottom end of the table.

For the past year, we've been at the right at end of the table, but yet crowds have dropped. Why? The football is much better.

Surly this now proves it more then to do with "rubbish football"

Going back to the NPL 05/06 when we finished 2nd, we were getting 350 on average, (well towards the back end anyway), and that was without the soical media we have now.

Surly there is more to it, or is the problem going to take a lot longer to deal with?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 pm 

forget the cups in the league so far attendances have been poor, am sure in private the club will be disapointed with this

end of the day i said at the start of the season matchday tickets were too expensive and so were season tickets

also the season tickets this year represented very little value paying up front to paying as you go especially if you (like most will) miss a game or 2 over the whole season

The club have got the prices and season ticket offer badly wrong and its showing in the attendances so far, this is worrying due to the amount of so called 'football industry experience' supposedly on the board of directors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm 

Quote:
Going back to the NPL 05/06 when we finished 2nd, we were getting 350 on average, (well towards the back end anyway), and that was without the social media we have now.

Yes we did get some 300+ plus crowds at the back end of that season but our first 3 home games saw crowds of 220 (Whitby), 197 (Leek), 214 (Chadderton, FA Cup). So far, apart from the cup, it's almost identical to this year (225, 193 & 165 in the cup).
Whilst I'm as disappointed as anyone that we don't get bigger crowds, I think that people are overestimating the drop off over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm 

By the way, I do agree with Dingbat in relation to ticket/season ticket prices. .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm 

Bluedragon wrote:
Quote:
Going back to the NPL 05/06 when we finished 2nd, we were getting 350 on average, (well towards the back end anyway), and that was without the social media we have now.

Yes we did get some 300+ plus crowds at the back end of that season but our first 3 home games saw crowds of 220 (Whitby), 197 (Leek), 214 (Chadderton, FA Cup). So far, apart from the cup, it's almost identical to this year (225, 193 & 165 in the cup).
Whilst I'm as disappointed as anyone that we don't get bigger crowds, I think that people are overestimating the drop off over the years.

That is true, that's why I stated it was towards the back end of that season. It maybe "identical", now to this year, has you say, but we're still continuing from the good results on the field from last season. In 05/06, the previous season to that, we avoided the drop by 1pt at Marine, so it was the case of "same old, same old", until the results were picking up and had a brilliant season by finishing 2nd.

But like i have already said, i am also talking about crowds from last season too, they were poor in relation to our results and position in the table.

It has to be something more then, "poor results", because we are not getting them now. Yes, the prices on the day, with season tickets don't present good value, but it just can't be that surly?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:54 pm 

Buxton 500+attendance saturday 136 last night for Integro game. Just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm 

193 for a league game just saying is that really going to pay McSheffrey’s wages alone l doubt it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm 

Old school wrote:
193 for a league game just saying is that really going to pay McSheffrey’s wages alone l doubt it

The attendance FACT was referring to the unpopularity of the Integro cup and here you are bringing up the B word and players wages . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

Most of us agree that attendances are low in the Integro cup or what ever it's called nowadays.

But why did people stay away last season? Even tho it was the best football in years? Something to do with an hotel Frickley1 says. The only time we had a good crowd was the play-off SF, and then, the team put in a below-par performance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:20 pm 

Don't get the wrong, if the board is not wanting the team to progress up the leagues, then fair enough, the crowds are stable enough now. But once we start progressing, (if we do at all) then we need more though the gate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 pm 

Mr sitter l refer to the original post which was about the league FACT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 pm 

just a bit of a comparison for you, South Shields who are flying in the premier league after winning the league last season have actually had a notable fall in attendences this season, this im told, is due to Sunderland setting off well this season, both Leeds & Barnsley are flying at the minute, any coincidence ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next