It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: This Season.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:07 am 

How well or badly do you believe The Blues will do this season? I must admit the pre-season results have not been impressive, but often do not mean anything once the real action gets underway. I have not seen Frickley enough to make a judgement, though I liked the look of the attack, not certain about the midfield. The defence looked okay. I do hope to see more matches than last season and have better health too, but it cannot be guaranteed.
I wish Frickley well for the season, a promotion would be great and a good FA Cup run would be wonderful. The Senior Cup might be a possibility with Shaw Lane gone. I hope so. I like finals at Bramall Lane.

Post subject: Re: This Season.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 am 

Good question Blade,

The expectation (which i think is fair) is to win the league, with the budget anything less is a failure, and i would say that who ever was in charge

with the current squad play offs at best, 2 quality additions and i think a shot at the title could be a possibility.

In my view on paper its a weaker league with no promoted sides and the stronger sides from north section now in the West but in reality i thing its a tougher league than last season with some difficult away trips, cutting the number to 20 teams has got rid of the whipping boys and some of the promoted sides will be stronger than people think,

my prediction is play offs, although talking to a few non league players & managers and fans over the last few weeks a fair few are saying Frickley will find it tougher and may struggle to be in contention which honestly surprises me

be nice if others chip in and give there view, lets have a football discussion on here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:25 pm 

I think promotion is a must this season (title preferably, not too bothered if we're promoted via the play offs though), and I think the squad Spen has assembled is more than capable of doing that; experienced Evo-Stik players are mixed with Conference standard players and exciting youngsters.

We now have two young goalkeepers pushing for the number one spot, strength and depth in defence, different types of midfield players (experienced players such as Maguire and Patts, attacking younger players such as Walton and Burton), and three prolific strikers. We have a very good squad of seventeen supplemeted by players both from Frickley Academy and the NEFA, and we're playing an attractive style of football with emphasis on ball retention and possession.

I think whatever happens next season, the team will continue playing the appealing football they have in pre-season, it's evident Spen's spent the last eighteen months making the club more professional (moving training to Sheffield, widening the coaching staff, increased use of analytics and sports science) and I believe it will pay dividends on the pitch. Expect us to really be challenging up there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm 

I've watched most of this seasons friendliy's and have to disagree with both of you .l think this season will be tough, team doesn't look right to me defence desperate for another defender to partner ible midfield don't seem to know where there're supposed to be playing and now the long throw ins have gone manager seems to not have plan b hope I'm wrong but that's my Veiw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 pm 

i for one think this seasons new "east" division is tougher than last seasons "south", im not one of these people who think the team with the biggest budget or attendances wins leagues either, having said that the main thing i hope for is that every player gives 100% effort (ive no doubt that this will be the case) thats all you can ask for, then hopefully the results & success will follow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:45 pm 

Blueitt wrote:
I've watched most of this seasons friendliy's and have to disagree with both of you .l think this season will be tough, team doesn't look right to me defence desperate for another defender to partner ible midfield don't seem to know where there're supposed to be playing and now the long throw ins have gone manager seems to not have plan b hope I'm wrong but that's my Veiw

I know a fair few people that feel the same blueitt, both fans and a few people in non league circles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:12 pm 

I think defence and midfield have largely been covered this pre-season. I personally think our strongest pairing is Ible alongside either Liversidge or Watt, yet Spen's used various partnerships (not forgetting Danny Rowe as well) which is testament to the strength in depth and the competition for places as opposed to uncertainty over who's good enough at this level. I believe our defence is much better than the defence that played last season, in particular at right back with the signing of Connor Smith.

In midfield Spen again has tried different combinations, but he's largely gone with three in midfield; one holding (Maguire or Patts) and two more attacking players (Burton/Walton/Williams) giving us good balance and increases our ability to retain the ball. The three forwards pick themselves.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I don't think there's any contest if you compare this season's side with the side that finished last season- playoffs for certain, challenging for the title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:16 pm 

Has Rowe? The ex wycome lad played yet? Not seen much about him?

??? For me if him and Maguire will be available week in week out

He needs a partner for ible you can't play kids in that position goals against pre season shows that

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:37 pm 

Yeah, Rowe's featured a bit over pre-season, I believe he started the game against Sheffield United u23s (?). He's looked decent from what I've seen, and at 30 (Watt) and 28 (Liversidge) then there's no kids at the back. Results haven't been too promising in pre-season but the performances have been, I guess we'll see once the season starts again

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 pm 

Danny Rowe will be a beast for Frickley this season

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 am 

the mighty wah wrote:
Danny Rowe will be a beast for Frickley this season

I am told he struggled at centre back on Friday night against two 17 year olds, wait till he is up against some big meat head non league number 9's, a good addition for midifield, like i say need a centre back to play with Ible, and he wants to be a beast at north of £500 per week

ch1401 wrote:
Yeah, Rowe's featured a bit over pre-season, I believe he started the game against Sheffield United u23s (?). He's looked decent from what I've seen, and at 30 (Watt) and 28 (Liversidge) then there's no kids at the back. Results haven't been too promising in pre-season but the performances have been, I guess we'll see once the season starts again

Liversidge plays like a kid at 28 seen him a fair few times and by 26,27 if your only playing northern counties your not really going to be good enough/improve enough to play higher, not sure about Watt very inconsistant when i have seen him, sometimes looks a beast sometimes gets bullied, like i say my advice would be bin one of them off and go get a solid centre back from this league or the one above, conceding too many goals last season cost the club automatic promotion and it will again if its not sorted,

from what am told the above could happen sooner rather than later, also close to a midfielder coming in and there will be a couple of loans before the first game Dingbat out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am 

I think any additions to the squad would have to be precedes by departures, and in my opinion I don't think anyone so far has warranted a release? I think the defence is stronger than last year, and I don't see the point of another midfielder, we already have five to rotate. Wouldn't mind a few loanees to supplement the squad though