It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Keith Donkin
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm 

Very sad to hear the news yesterday about Keith: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/frickleyathletic/news/keith-donkin-2303802.html

One recent memory to share from a Frickley away game this season... After adjourning from the nearest pub in good time to arrive at the ground about 30 mins before kick-off, the first person I bump into on entering the gates is Keith, so having stopped for a natter which went on a good few tangents, and in general covered all manner of football and cricket topics - including how we both remembered playing away at (we thought?) Felkirk, where they used to roll a rubber mat out over the concrete wicket, and any sixes hit went straight into the passing traffic. Think we must’ve got onto talking about mining clubs who were now at risk of losing their old colliery-owned grounds, as we got onto Grimethorpe, and Keith just happened to have a story about the time he helped put up the floodlights there. He also told me in passing about his current health issues and how he’d been in (and I think was due back into again) hospital. So I knew he hadn’t been well, but didn’t realise it was as serious as it obviously was. Anyway, all of a sudden I notice it’s already 5-to-3 and the teams are due out at any minute, so we went our separate ways to watch the match. Sadly it turns out that was the last time I ever saw him to speak to, so bittersweet but glad that our last meeting involved a good ole chinwag - that bloke must’ve had a million other memories I never got to hear, but what a warm and friendly chap he always came across as. Just a suggestion, but maybe something like a small memorial plaque in his honour around the announcer’s box area would be a fitting & lasting tribute? RIP Keth.

Post subject: Re: Keith Donkin
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm 

Very sad news indeed. I usually sat close to Keith on my trips to Frickley where we shared many tales!

One of non-leagues bloggers, The Onion Bag, has named Keith as his non-league person of the season. Scroll down the following article to read his tribute: https://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/the-onion-bag-awards-2017-18.html

Condolences to Keith's family and friends, he will be missed

RIP Keith

Post subject: Re: Keith Donkin
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am 

RIP Mr Donkin .......... I think I speak for a lot of people in saying you will be missed up "The Lane".