It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

Switch to mobile style

Post subject: ilkeston
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:14 pm 

with the alarming and totally surprising news on the winding up of ilkeston, this makes goole the most likely to get reprieved, could this mean that we could still end up in the south division??????
sincerely hope not.

Post subject: Re: ilkeston
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:23 pm 

blue stan wrote:
with the alarming and totally surprising news on the winding up of ilkeston, this makes goole the most likely to get reprieved, could this mean that we could still end up in the south division??????
sincerely hope not.

Well, there are 9 clubs in the north division that are geographically to the south of Frickley (according to the map on Wikipedia) but does this sort of logic play any part in the allocation of clubs to north/south divisions? I'll hope for the best but I'm prepared for the worst. I don't much fancy Market Drayton on a Tuesday night....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm 

Market Drayton is lovely but best on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 pm 

NeverNeutral wrote:
blue stan wrote:
sincerely hope not.

Well, there are 9 clubs in the north division that are geographically to the south of Frickley (according to the map on Wikipedia) but does this sort of logic play any part in the allocation of clubs to north/south divisions? I'll hope for the best but I'm prepared for the worst. I don't much fancy Market Drayton on a Tuesday night....

There were 15 teams south of Goole in The North division at one point but that didn't stop them putting us in the South!

Anyway you have far more chance of challenging in the South - the wage bills in the North will make the sums quoted on here look like petty cash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:07 pm 

NeverNeutral wrote:
blue stan wrote:
sincerely hope not.

Are they all Manc-area ones? The FA's map uses a very slanted dividing line!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:12 pm 

I am sure all of the replies are quite correct. Thanks.
My interest was purely selfish, Saturday commitments mean that I'll get to less away games in the south division than I would have in the north division. Oh well, never mind, there's still a few good away days in the south division. Already looking forward to Stocksbridge, Sheffield, Carlton, Lincoln and a couple of others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 pm 

all poor grounds named there, the only one that springs to mind of note in the south is leek, much closer geographically for us to travel to in the north, and much beeter grounds too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm 

We could be the next Ilkeston way we are throwing money about

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:48 pm 

blue stan wrote:
all poor grounds named there, the only one that springs to mind of note in the south is leek, much closer geographically for us to travel to in the north, and much beeter grounds too.

Stocksbridge is one of my favourite grounds at any level of football. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?
I'd still be a season ticket holder in the EFL or Prem if 'poor' grounds put me off, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:51 pm 

Dingbat wrote:
We could be the next Ilkeston way we are throwing money about

Apparentlyallegedly a lot of their quids have been used to buy computers for learners at an academy they're linked to - at least Frickley are just buying players. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm 

Confirmed you are moving to Evo-Stik Div 1 South.

Even if Ilkeston win their proposed appeal against the winding up order the NPL will not grant them the license required to play at step 4.

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/club-allocations-finalised-36889

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm 

Finchley Tiger wrote:
Confirmed you are moving to Evo-Stik Div 1 South.

Even if Ilkeston win their proposed appeal against the winding up order the NPL will not grant them the license required to play at step 4.

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/club-allocations-finalised-36889

From a financial and fans point of view bad news as further to travel less teams that will bring a decent away following however from a team/results point of view the south looks a far weaker league, and with the players we are signing and the money we are throwing about anything but promotion would be a failure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:09 pm 

spot on there dingbat,heading south it is, which will make it less away games for me unless i have a windfall and retire, the majority are too far to travel after work on a saturday. which means i might have to visit mr F.Tigers team for some footy unless i can get in as a concession at gainsborough again. :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:03 pm 

Short interview with someone from Ilkeston supporters club from BBC Local, for anyone interested in what they may have planned now...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05533fv
Hope they get their club back and can keep the Manor Ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm 

boyspen wrote:
Short interview with someone from Ilkeston supporters club from BBC Local, for anyone interested in what they may have planned now...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05533fv
Hope they get their club back and can keep the Manor Ground.

Let's hope we heed this warning, granted some of the signings seem exciting and it looks like a squad is been built for a promotion challenge, but my view is a club should live within its means in the long term, fair enough if someone sticks a few quid on the budget now and again to help, but ANY club at non league level constantly spending above its means will run into trouble eventually it will happen to shaw lane when wood gets bored or the missus rains him in, it's happend to loads of over teams over the years, and am sure everyone on here hopes frickley won't ever be one of them, no point sacrificing the long term future for a few days in the sun, let's hope that what is happening at the moment and the long term plan is sustainable