It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: U19'S
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:41 am 

which is more important giving lads a chance in the 1st team or saving them to play in U19's games?

Post subject: Re: U19'S
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 am 

Hmm, a tricky one.

Do you further the development of a young player by putting them in the first team and make the step up to senior football, which is surely the point of u19 football, or do you risk knocking their confidence if the transition doesn't show instant success and the crowd get on their back?

IMO put 'em in the first team - I think the Frickley crowd recognise the value of bringing the u19s through (e.g. Dan Palmer's goal v Frecheville) and are therefore forgiving of the mistakes that might happen as a result (e.g. Tadcaster's first goal in the integro cup).

Careful man management is the key here, knowing when to throw them into the fray and when to pull them out of the firing line

As I said, just my opinion, but for me, the u19s have never put themselves to shame and show plenty of potential.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:47 am 

Perhaps a little tricky, but it really shouldn't be. Comes to down to lots of things tho IMHO, and any one of these not being 'tip top' will see the thing fail....

1. The First team should come first, always. It's why the club exists.
2. Do the 19's exist to develop players and provide a route to the first team with winning things as a bonus, or target winning trophies with first team options a bonus? Personally, I think this is the critical point. If this isn't 'right' (right could be either answer btw, but determines the overall answer to the thread Q), then the whole thing won't work.
3. I agree with much of what 'Never Neutral' says... careful man management is key. Realistically it will only be the odd player or three that are ready - physically and skill-wise - otherwise they'd all be in a first team somewhere else.
4. Do the 19's actually want to play for the first team, or are they happy in their own 'bubble'? Again - no right or wrong answer, but this helps come up with the answer overall too.
5. I think the support from the terraces would always be there for a 'homegrown' star of the future.

Anyway, probably loads more to debate on this topic, but it's great to see the club actually has teams and various age groups besides the first team.

If developed and managed collaboratively, the 19's could be a great asset for the first team and club overall.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:34 am 

Some good points lads the main one been that the first team should always come first and that any chance for a youngster to gain any valuable first team experience should be taken with out question, it seems at the moment however some have a different view

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:28 am 

Something I forgot... timing is also really important. Especially for the developing player.

Blooding a youngster in a losing team, fighting relegation isn't always smart. Not good for their confidence and often expectations from the terraces and their teammates will be artificially high. This can lead to failure too...

Unless they are a world beater who is also really strong mentally, obviously. It's a pretty big step up to Evo-Stik levels...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:27 pm 

IMO at any level of football it's down to the first team management and their working relationship with any development side. Anything else will then just come naturally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm 

The under 19s manager who's in charge of their development , should be left to decide what's best for them. That's his role !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 pm 

Surely it's about the two working together 'side by side in perfect harmony' tho SMS? You can't just base it on what the U19s manager wants/thinks is best and vice versa. Really it shouldnt be an issue if both managers are on the same page collectively.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 pm 

boyspen wrote:
Surely it's about the two working together 'side by side in perfect harmony' tho SMS? You can't just base it on what the U19s manager wants/thinks is best and vice versa. Really it shouldnt be an issue if both managers are on the same page collectively.

Maybe the under 19s coach should have input on the first team then for 'perfect harmony'. Instead of that buffoon that sits on the bench, and it's not Karl, Dudge, Hoody or Strats..come to think of It, we have more coaches than 'Browns' of south kirkby.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:10 pm 

SMS - I'd have thought that the Academy/19's manager/director of football would, indeed SHOULD, report to the First Team Manager? As with any hierarchical 'set-up', there is a team that supports the ultimate boss... and in this case the 'Boss' of all football related matters must be the First Team Manager, surely?

The 1st TM should have a first-hand experience of his wider club, football wise, and working with the 19's TM agree who is ready for consideration/blooding in first team footie? The relationship will improve as the understanding of what is required to compete at Evo-Stik levels becomes clearer for both managers, as time goes by...

Honestly, I don't see this as difficult at all...

1st TM is the boss, he talks to and agrees who/what players, if any, are ready for the 1st team... and that is it? The 19's manager is responsible for his players development (as you correctly say, my friend! :wink: ) to either get them ready for the 1st team in an ideal world, or simply make them better players full stop so if the first team isn't possible then perhaps a lower level should be their target?

Its quite simple, isn't it? Even for me and you! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

id have to disagree, first team managers seldom even watch their own youth players, we are talking Frickley here, it's not Manchester City you know. :lol:

Does Karl have a track record of using under 19s players, off the top of my head there was Brad Doc, Joe ? Who disappeared. maybe he did, but I'm struggling for names.

One for boyspen I reckon :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:36 pm 

With which bit my friend?

Whether it happens or not isn't the point. It should...
If the 19's play on a Tuesday or Thursday then surely Karl (as things stand) can nip to ground to watch 30 minutes or so, surely?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 pm 

i think the names you were looking for SMS were joe davies and joe kenny, doc looked the next big thing for us but faded quicker than a november sunset, rosey does not have a track record of using the u19`s, but surely the option of jack burton and dan palmer would give us more hope for the future than himself and strats on the bench, jack burton has not let himself or the club down on the occasions he has been used this season, give the young guys a bit of leash and see what theyre made of for the last 3 games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:16 pm 

OK then, should the U19's manager be allowed to make 1st team registered players who have been involved at various points of the season unavailable for 1st team selection during the biggest week of the season? As apparently the u19's have a big game???

And did everyone know the U19's are now apparently separate from the main club??

And before anyone starts crying I have not spoken to Karl about this issue and I haven't spoken to him at all prior to or since yesterday's game I was told about his by someone else, if it's true (and I think it is) then its an absolute disgrace to be honest and a case of personalities getting in the way of the bigger picture which is pulling together to help your club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 pm 

over the last 12 months this club has lost firstly, the treasurer, then the secretary, had 3 different managers in charge, now the chairman has given notice of intent to quit, we are on the verge of losing our premier division status unless we can win our last 2 games, even then that may not be enough, now talk of a split between the first team and age group teams, and last week i witnessed blues fans arguing over the mozza or rosey debate.
for goodness sake we need some stability amongst the ranks, we need the board to become settled and work as one, revenue will drop if/when we go down, therefore admission costs may reduce, leading to the playing budget been reduced, sponsorship may also become harder to find, the events of the last 12 months will have a massive knock on effect on the club, it is how we come through at the other side of it in 12 months from now which is the deciding issue, we need to arrest this slide now and everyone to pull together for the good of the club, and those people that think because we have been in the premier division for the last goodness knows how long that we will be favourites to bounce straight back up need to have a long hard look at things.