It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: U19'S
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:54 pm 

My experience of watching u19/u21 football in the North Midlands Development League appears to be slightly different as I have often seen first team managers at the games, especially home games, e.g. Jas Colliver, Brett Marshall, Ryan Hindley, etc. from Sheffield FC, Staveley MW and Hallam FC. Mark Shaw used to go to our games, if the first team were not playing/training, before he was suspended and our caretaker manager, Jon Kennedy has been to games.

However, one thing I would say is that the jump from u19 football to Evo-Stik Prem is a big jump, the leap from u19s to NCEL is much smaller which might be a reason why the likes of Brett Marshall and Ryan Hindley go to games.

On Saturday we had five players from our u19 side playing, plus two others who were u19s last season but moved up to u21s this season. Since we cut the budget before Christmas this has been a regular occurrence as we have taken the opportunity to look at the u19/u21s. The seven that were involved yesterday have become a regular feature in the first team, so much so they no longer play for the u19/21s (apart from the 16 year old 'keeper who is on the first team bench).

That would never have happened when we were in the Evo-Stik Prem, very few players made the step up as the gap was too big for most. I do see a number of our former u19s from years gone by playing in the NCEL.

As a club we took the decision the role of the u19s and u21s was to develop players for the first team. At the start of the season it was the first team manager that interviewed and appointed the managers of the u19/u21 teams. Even before we cut the budget if the first team manager wanted an u19 for the first team it was common for him to pull the player from an u19 game to save him for the first team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:05 pm 

FT - I agree with all those very well made points, 100% :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:48 pm 

Am I missing something here they ALL play under the Frickley banner therefore as at ANY club professional or semi pro ultimately they all answer to the first team manager end of

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:03 pm 

Old school wrote:
Am I missing something here they ALL play under the Frickley banner therefore as at ANY club professional or semi pro ultimately they all answer to the first team manager end of

A lot of clubs don't have U19s constantly... therefore if an U19 side is set up, it often won't be the first team manager who initiates it or runs it, so at what point in that case would he be in charge? Immediately? Later on? When he feels like it? To me it comes back to there needing to be a good working relationship between both camps from the off and continuously after that, and then the question of who has the final say doesn't even come into it.

+ to FT - agree pretty much with all you said - re-the gap between NCEL and NPL for the U19s, I guess the issue comes with a club like Frickley with a smaller budget or squad than most, you get instances such as we've had recently where you either get gaps on the bench or the manager naming himself to make up numbers rather than using U19s and at the moment it seems we only have one recognised forward available which isn't great when you need some goals.

PS I also seem to have just accidentally googled the job description :lol: here you go...
http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/manageri ... letic-8979
Frickley Athletic have a successful Under 19s side who won their league in 2011/12 and the new manager will be expected to work with the Under 19s manager to help develop these players as much as possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 am 

whats going to happen to u19s next season now we are under NEFA academy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm 

I presume reading between the lines they will Still be called frickley but basically will play under the banner of NEFA and be used to sign scholars up to the NEFA education programmes therefore gaining them funding, which in my opinion is why these 2 are at the club, I will presume this to be true till we hear otherwise from the board, disclaimer the above is my opinion based on how I see events unfolding not a statement of fact