It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Skelmersdale
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

Gutted to lose to a team that shipped 10 last week but i guess thats where we are, we are 3rd to bottom because we deserve to be.
Turning point was that 3 0 lead at Marine. No good dwelling on it we have to regroup for next season. TBH apart from last season we led a charmed life. Need a bit of money and guys that want to play for Frickley.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 am 

Good post SMS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 am 

Agree with an awful lot of what has been said on this thread. From several users.

Only seen about half a dozen games this season, but what I've seen, on the whole, has been very poor. Home and away.

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing, and whilst much like post-Marrow, it was inevitable players from last season had their heads turned. Good luck to them. But on each occasion we have lost players and the manager. And any momentum that came with that. It became a total rebuild; for both Karl initially and then Moz.

Surely with some decent player sales and the excellent financial position of just a few years ago, some of that cash could have gone to the playing budget? Maybe it did?

I'm afraid I'm in the 'change was needed' camp. Moz was and indeed still is a modern day club legend. His hands were tied somewhat and overall he did a decent job imho. But he lost 7 of his last 11 games and the manner of some of those defeats wasn't great. Shocking first halves, second half collapses, poor discipline, no goals and towards the end of his tenure, again in my humble opinion, no plan B.

With managerial changes there are always player casualties. Inevitable. But this didn't help either. Experienced players, several of which had great years just 12 months ago, 'ousted'. Often happens but I thought a little strange.

Great to give youth it's chance, but did that experiment go too far? The Halesowen game and later subs suggested so I think.

The timing of he decision was also too late. At that point it should have stayed as-was. Better the devil you know and all that. A week earlier would at least have given Karl a window. I wonder; did everyone actually know about the window?

Anyhow, a long post...

You never know what will happen in next few weeks. But relegation looks a cert now. A positive pre season and solid squad building ahead of a tough, but 'doable' season in terms of getting back up.

Final point; the restructure. Can't find much on this, so could be wrong. But if leagues getting restructured and opportunities for promotion back to this level next season become limited; surely this was the season to do everything possible to back the manager (whichever one!) financially to stay at this level of the pyramid.

Let's hope for a positive, players playing with pride and for the manager, end to the season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:25 am 

RIP Rory Dove wrote:
We'd go into South, Bullylad.

Why?

I wouldn't want to second guess the FA's allocation process but we're further north than all of the clubs currently in Div 1 South, 7 of the clubs currently in Div 1 North, all of the other clubs that could get relegated from the Prem Div and any of the clubs likely to get promoted to NPL from NCEL or NWCL. Just saying...

(Not that we're down yet. Where there's life, there's hope...)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am 

a couple of excellent posts by sms and frickley there,disagree with dingbat over the playing personnel, more than seb and macca worth a place next season, but we are not down yet, admitted the fat lady is gargling, but where there is hope, you never know.
a couple of poor teams on show yesterday, even the skem fans were saying we looked a very poor side and already looking down, same old story for us, lack of quality in the final third and badly lacking a goalscorer, we leaked 3 goals but looked solid with 4 at the back, MOTM for me, easily jake picton, even before his goal, and jack waters had his second good game in that position on the trot, if waide fairhurst had have got that shot anywhere near the goal when at 1-1, nevermind had gone in we would have gone on to take 3 points, seb didnt have much to do but had 3 against him, a dodgy penalty which he got a hand to, a worldy, and an own goal against him, were playing with no confidence and no luck, stick in there and live in hope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 am 

NeverNeutral wrote:
RIP Rory Dove wrote:
We'd go into South, Bullylad.

Why?

I wouldn't want to second guess the FA's allocation process but we're further north than all of the clubs currently in Div 1 South, 7 of the clubs currently in Div 1 North, all of the other clubs that could get relegated from the Prem Div and any of the clubs likely to get promoted to NPL from NCEL or NWCL. Just saying...

(Not that we're down yet. Where there's life, there's hope...)

I think it's been 'South' for a few years. Geography and transport links make it more 'sensible' for us to head down the A/M1 it would seem...

Get rid of of this seasons top 2 in both D1's and it's anyone's league. Good manager, squad and competitive budget and who knows...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am 

why would we head south if we went down, there will be 2 if not 3 teams that are southernly based going down, which makes it a stuck on cert.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:57 pm 

As the league tables currently stand I think it is likely you will be heading north.

The other three teams currently in the relegation spots are:

Corby who would go south,
Ilkeston who would go south
Skelmersdale who would go north

The teams at step 5 currently in the promotion spots are:

Northern League - South Shields who would go north (I believe they have applied for promotion)
NWCL - Atherton Collieries who would go north
NCEL - Cleethorpes - who could go north or south
Midland League - Alvechurch who would go south

Therefore it is likely to be between Frickley and Cleethorpes as to which goes north and which goes south. Personally I think Frickley would go into the north and Cleethorpes in the south. I know when I spoke to Cleethorpes' Chairman a few weeks ago he expects they will end up in the south.

Thus as things currently stand replacing the promoted/relegated side in Evo-Stik Div 1N would be Frickley, Skelmersdale, South Shield and Atherton Collieries. In the Evo-Stik 1S it would be Corby, Ilkeston, Alvechurch and Cleethorpes.

Of course it could all change between now and the end of the season!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm 

This is a really good (and accurate IME) webpage for non-league projections
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIniirEek4qDNVyE8YNphuVlBSQ4YlSqVZeDyMQxOgc/edit#gid=0
Like the Tiger from Finchley says, we would most likely go North as things stand.
It's also worth finishing 4th from bottom rather than 3rd, just incase there was a reprieve later on.
However, I reckon 3 wins would see us stop up still, so it's a straight-forward job for Karl/etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 pm 

boyspen wrote:
It's also worth finishing 4th from bottom rather than 3rd, just incase there was a reprieve later on.

no chance of this happening, as we can only get level on points with the team 4th bottom in the ryman league, and they have 3 games left, so any reprieve thats going to happen will go to the ryman league.

p.s. knowing how the f.a. allocate the places in the leagues we could be in the highland league with such trips as formantine and inverurie loco works to look forward to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:31 pm 

blue stan wrote:
boyspen wrote:

no chance of this happening, as we can only get level on points with the team 4th bottom in the ryman league, and they have 3 games left, so any reprieve thats going to happen will go to the ryman league.

p.s. knowing how the f.a. allocate the places in the leagues we could be in the highland league with such trips as formantine and inverurie loco works to look forward to.

Ah well, I hadn't looked at that.... but there's always more chance if you're 4th from bottom so worth going for that 'prize' still :lol:
I'd quite fancy a trip to Inverurie Loco Works (as long as it wasn't Tuesday night)