It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ilkeston game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 am 

All the best for Sats game to the lads / Karl / Strats / John.
Great to see you both back in the dug out.
The Frickley fans are all with you in this Karl / Strats.
If you keep us up you two could become bigger legends than Mr Hood at Frickley.
And thats saying something.
All the best do it for the Frickley fans.

Post subject: Re: ilkeston game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm 

Frickley 1 wrote:
All the best for Sats game to the lads / Karl / Strats / John.
Great to see you both back in the dug out.
The Frickley fans are all with you in this Karl / Strats.
If you keep us up you two could become bigger legends than Mr Hood at Frickley.
And thats saying something.
All the best do it for the Frickley fans.

Great words. I keep my fingers crossed :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm 

If anyone fancies travelling by public transport the best route from the South Elmsall area is via Moorthorpe Railway Station to Sheffield then on to Langley Mill and a bus from there to IIkeston. An alternate route is South Elmsall to Doncaster and from there to Chesterfield and a bus from the bus station there (quite a walk) to Mansfield and a bus from there to IIkeston. getting off just before it turns to go up the hill to the town centre. Another way is a train to Derby or Nottingham and bus to IIkeston, but that takes a long time and is more expensive. My advice is hitch a lift in a car if at all possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm 

Blade, were you aware Ilston is Britain's biggest town without a train station?.... OK, were you also aware it won't be for much longer?!
http://www.nottinghampost.com/opening-date-for-ilkeston-train-station-finally-revealed/story-30065708-detail/story.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 pm 

Blade1 wrote:
If anyone fancies travelling by public transport the best route from the South Elmsall area is via Moorthorpe Railway Station to Sheffield then on to Langley Mill and a bus from there to IIkeston. An alternate route is South Elmsall to Doncaster and from there to Chesterfield and a bus from the bus station there (quite a walk) to Mansfield and a bus from there to IIkeston. getting off just before it turns to go up the hill to the town centre. Another way is a train to Derby or Nottingham and bus to IIkeston, but that takes a long time and is more expensive. My advice is hitch a lift in a car if at all possible.

sounds like your leaving a 5.30 friday night to get there for the start.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 pm 

I haven't set off just yet. I did know it was the biggest town without a railway station but did not know that there
will finally be one. Will make getting there a lot easier and quicker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:30 am 

I had a nightmare about the journey to IIkeston last night which involved travelling with a female Blades supporter who was extremely scatty, a flash flood, having to travel via South Elmsall where we encountered a pair of lesbians sat cross-legged outside their flat. My travelling partner knew the pair when they lived at Sheffield and obviously hated them and the hatred was mutual. There much verbal sniping. We then somehow ended up locked in a newly built house which we trashed just minutes before people being showed around the property turned up, my partner and I legging it.
I knew where our destination was and the match but the nightmare never involved buses, trains or the football ground. A pint or two in it might have been of some comfort. I cannot remember my having my walking stick either. I can remember my left leg and knee being very troublesome and more painful than usual and wishing my travelling partner would return to Sheffield.
Nightmares one side effect of the medication I have to take daily.
Surely the actual journey cannot be so complicated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:39 pm 

Well, that went well. Lost to a team that hasn't been paid in weeks.

To be honest I'm not sure wether the players need to a long hard look at themselves, or wether they're just adjusting from the last weeks decision.

Probably a bit of both, we aren't dead and buried yet. Need a goal desperately to lift spirits and give us some self belief.

It's not the time to be feeling sorry for yourselves or blaming it on luck, you make your own luck and fortune..roll up your sleeves till the end of the season

Last edited by seanmarshallsshorts on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:10 pm 

I am back home earlier than expected due to a bus and two trains being slightly late. Frickley's response to going behind
not quite doing the trick. The best two players on the day being the home goalscorer and the hot-headed goalkeeper. Looks like both teams will be going down, not sufficient quality on either side. Tyler Williams very frustrating, he's got the ability to beat players but his final ball is poor nine times out of ten, he needs to get in the box and force a foul on him or pick out a player on his side.
An enjoyable day out, warm sunshine and some banter with the home supporters and Rochdale fans on the train from Chesterfield.
A tidy little ground and the comedy of the electric keep failing in the bar. I hope I am wrong about Frickley going down and they can get something at Buxton on Tuesday.
It good to get a non-league match in, even if the standard wasn't great, and to see quite a few Blues there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:15 pm 

Blade1 wrote:
I am back home earlier than expected due to a bus and two trains being slightly late.

You must be a time-travelling wizard!
(can you turn the clocks back 24 hours?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 pm 

Decided not to travel went to watch Parkgate vs afc Mansfield nice to see little Jimmy playing and gave away a penalty and he was last player off field still aruging with the referee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 pm 

Yes, I am boyspen, my magic was strong today but I just couldn't conjure up a bit of Blues' magic on the pitch.
My walking stick a fairy wand - I'd rather it was a sword-stick really. Twenty-four hours pushing it a bit, I'd need the eye of great crested newt, three skylarks' feathers and a pickled egg, oh a drop of Wednesdayite's blood - about six pints should do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:42 pm 

As always I will give my honest opinion after a game, travelled down the M1 full of hope after this week's events however admittedly with some nagging feeling it may not be our day after such a turbulent week.

Pleased with the team 442, Tyler playing and square pegs in square holes, first half we started brightly but then we seemed to fade and the game got a bit scrappy on a very poor pitch, 3 or 4 not at the races am afraid and possession given away and wasted fair too many times, however despite a sporadic Ilkeston threat we had most of the ball and most of the time in the attacking area, in fairness we were lucky not to go behind when sebba does what he does best and dug us out the sh*t with a fine save at the far post although in truth there lad should have burried it, however as the clock ticked to half time I would have taken Nawt apeice but then there lad produces a beauty into the top locker from 25/30 yards to be fair credit to the lad as it was one of the best goals I have seen live this season at any level, in summary not really good enough first half but in truth did we deserve to be behind? Not IMHO

2nd half we came out fired up but in truth first 10-15 mins game was no different to the scrappy affair we had seen in the first, however for at least the last 30 mins we not only had Ilkeston penned in there own half, but for the majority of that period there own penalty area. We created multiple chances but it was a case of a poor final ball, wastefull finishing, brave defending and good goalkeeping that denied using time and again, no one can fault the players in the 2nd half they threw everything at Ilkeston but it was just one of those days they kept going right to the end but it wasn't to be, in truth the quality in the final third and at the pivotal moments has cost us the game we are desperate for someone to ping one in from 30 yards or one to hit someone's backside and fly in just to get the confidence back, the players could not have given at more 2nd half and if we carry on like that we will be OK however if we play like we did first half we probably won't.

At the end there keeper has absolutely lost it is mean proper lost it tried to kill about 4 of our players and was rightly sent off, a word on Ilkeston obviously a club in a mess no mains power, ground been run from a generator which was failing every 2 mins cue lights off and burglar alarms blaring out was sureal at times, pitch as stated was crap rock hard in parts, cutting up in others like blackpool beach in others BUT there lads on the pitch gave everything today truth is they are 2nd bottom for a reason and it was a game we should we winning in all fairness but fair play to them they blocked everything we threw at them at the end with every part of the body imagineable (Inc hands which they got away with) and they hung on like there lives depended on it, they had 3 maybe 4 lads I would bet on would get in out team easily, the number 10 had quality and the centre back (4) looked as good as anything I have seen this season big strong quick brave and a real leader wouldn't be surprised to see them 2 lads playing higher next season, the keeper was decent too until he went berserk at the end.

In summary the end product has cost us in a game we should really have won, plenty of effort just a lack of quality at times which is frustrating as we know it's in there in this group, suppose it a confidence thing really we just need a moment in a game to swing the momentum if we show the fight we did 2nd half then we cant ask for any more, we go again Tuesday I honestly believe we have as good a chance in any game wether it be again top middle or bottom sides it all goes out the window at this point in the season,

On Tuesday I would start Zeph we looked better when he came on, I also would have liked to see Pugh for at least 10 mins surprised Karl didn't put him on today, also the priest is better wide in my opinion, overall a tough one to take today and am disappointed but I will be at Buxton Tuesday and we hope and pray for something from the game, it's still in our hands and I still got the the belief we can get out of this just need a win, and moment in a game to swing the momentum back in our favour hopefully that comes Tuesday

Word on Ilkeston fans feel sorry for the genuine ones I met but the idiots behind the goal at the end picking fights threatening people drunk out of there minds shame on them even there own fans disgusted with there conduct the bat had to step in to prevent tempers fraying only to the called a yorkshire B not come as close to chinning someone for several years how you can get in that state drinking at a non league game or why you would want too is beyond me anyway got home safe and looking forward to another trip out to Buxton (and blades directions! !!) On Tuesday

Oh and minI? Where is Karl's Interview? He never does one when we loose :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:01 am 

I haven't a clue how to get to Buxton by train, probably change at Derby or Stockport. I will be at Bramall Lane but will be thinking about Frickley. A few things I observed at the game were the defence needs to get closer to each other when defending and a few players need to shed some weight ( like myself). No one threatened me, I got on well with the home fans, they're a rough and ready lot and like a drink but they've got a good humour and are quite likeable once you have a drink and a chat with them.
I thought The Blues should have been awarded a penalty in the second half for handball and the referee and pitch were not great.
Where are the sprinklers used before the match that was there last season, they used for the friendly against my other side.
Using my grammar police head, Dingbat, you need to learn when to use there or their. Examples: I was there. It was their ball.
No offence intended. I agree about Zeph Thomas starting, the team looked better balanced when he came on, more threatening too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 am 

dingers just about summed it up right there, they did park the bus a bit in the second half, and the number 4 and goalie were outstanding,we didnt vary the set pieces much as they went for zonal marking and all our crosses were on the 6 yard line which they dealt with comfortably, on reflection of the play and possession we deserved at least a point, the gooda/fielding partnership is a decent pairing, but our strikers have no time to build up a partnership as they are always different, there is a lot of work to be done before the end of april,and a visit from lady luck would not go amiss too.
a note on the programme, an absolute disgrace to charge £2 for a black and white very out of date edition, whereas a colour teamsheet was free of charge,appalling production.