It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frickley Athletic Museum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:38 am 

Stumbled across this new Frickley website via Twitter, i'm sure lot's of you out there will want to contribute, well one or two that spring to mind :D

http://www.frickleyathleticmuseum.co.uk

Post subject: Re: Frickley Athletic Museum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am 

SMS Glad you found it. Well worth the visit to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am 

I like the motto, which answers the post that Blade put up a while ago, yes, it's a very good start to the museum, I like it.

Reading it again, it's obviously been done with approval from the club officially. so I may have jumped the gun here on a possible "club announcement" of this site going live. Apologies if that's the case :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 pm 

looks a good effort, well done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:13 pm 

Hello all.

Well, looks like the cat is out of the bag earlier than planned! I have been working with the club to put together a simple site to honour the history of the club and to built the bones of a Hall of Fame. The site as it is now is still very much under construction, so I'm sorry for any errors and issues (let me know where you spot any). The site is only able to grow with your help, details such as player and club records are still being filled in so feel free to fill in the blanks. If you have any items that you would like to have photographed for the site please get in touch, it's surprising how many items people have stashed away in cupboards that other fans have never seen. Also, if anyone wants to write a particular exhibition in the future that would be welcomed warmly. The basic decades are permanent but the idea is to put temporary pages up for so many months that focus on really interesting seasons, players, teams etc. I need to contact clubs regarding copyright issues etc if needed so planning is essential on this part.

The Hall of Fame is entirely in the hands of the club and the supporters club. Basic details of how this may work are on the site but this is all in need of being finalised. Please have a look and have a chat about how you think it should work. Ideally a small number of ex Blues should be honoured each season or so. Over the years there have been calls for the club or the fans to honour players in a Hall of Fame, due to costs and practical reasons I hope that this virtual Hall of Fame will go some way to make that a reality.

This has come out of the blue and I am aware of the great work done by many fans and people connected with the club over the years in researching the club history and it is only fair that those people are recognised, particularly the likes of John and Tim. I've set John and Tim up with museum email addresses and hope that they will continue their good work but as of yet I haven't been able to get hold of them so if anyone lets them know they are still very much needed and to get in touch that would be great. Anyone else wanting to be involved make yourself known, as always any help is appreciated.

The motto of the website "second to none" is not intended in any way to become the team motto, I just wanted to honour the miners in a respectable way and it just seemed the right thing to do.

So yes, items are needed (I will hope to set up some photography sessions soon for anybody who has any items that would be useful). Photos in and around he ground and so on, showing it in all it's glory are welcomed too. Writers always are welcomed. The Hall of Fame is essential to sort out, along the lines of a panel involving the supporters club, club officials and some noted ex players or managers etc to vote in a few players then select a few more to go to a public vote on the website? If that sounds good? The supporters club can discuss that and I'll throw the ideas back to the club for confirmation. Let me know.

Plans for the future include hopefully building a virtual trophy cabinet. Any other ideas are welcome.

Anyway, drop me a line here, on Twitter or by email. I hope the site is ok, it's been asked for in the past so hopefully it is along the lines of what you imagined.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:37 am 

Nice to see one of my ideas taking shape. hope it gets more contributions than my fanzine and website does.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 am 

Found the part on the club badge interesting, to be honest I prefer the centenary badge to our present one, mainly due to the fact it actually has Frickley Athletic F.C emblazed across the top. The current badge gives can give us a bit of an identity crisis to others. it say's Frickley AFC. Obviously the A is for Athletic, but I tend to link AFC as Association football club, and I think most other's do ?.

p.s. Craig Nelthorpe get's my vote for the Hall of fame !. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 am 

Blade wrote:
Nice to see one of my ideas taking shape. hope it gets more contributions than my fanzine and website does.

It was a great idea, keep the grey matter working and carry on with the ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:38 am 

I like having Frickley AFC on the badge rather than Frickley Athletic FC. It always came across to me as a bit of a protest at having to change our name when we entered the Conference, I'm sure it wasn't intended that way but that's how I liked to view it.

I haven't had chance to visit the museum yet but like the website motto and think it should also be the club motto.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:26 pm 

Bluedragon wrote:
I like having Frickley AFC on the badge rather than Frickley Athletic FC. It always came across to me as a bit of a protest at having to change our name when we entered the Conference, I'm sure it wasn't intended that way but that's how I liked to view it.

I haven't had chance to visit the museum yet but like the website motto and think it should also be the club motto.

That was the NPL Dragon,not Conference :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:51 pm 

Dragon is correct, we had to change to enter the Conference. Some what galling when we played AP Leamington -that's Automotive Products Leamington, the biggest employer in their area.

THANK #FRICKLEY IT'S SATURDAY

#FORZAFRICKLEY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:05 pm 

Mini Maureenio wrote:
Dragon is correct, we had to change to enter the Conference. Some what galling when we played AP Leamington -that's Automotive Products Leamington, the biggest employer in their area.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but the name change happened in 1974 didn't it, way before the conference was even formed. we were still in the Midland league then (finished 7th) & Joined the NPL in 1976. The conference (or Alliance) wasn't formed until 1979, and Frickley didn't join that league until 1980 ?

p.s. Mini, I hope you're going to donate that Keith Whiteley jock strap to the museum that you keep in the top drawer.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:56 am 

Correct SMS. We had to change the name to join the Northern Prem. AP Leamington were in the Alliance for three seasons. We joined in 1980 replacing relegated Redditch. Until we joined there had been no relegation or promotion in the original league.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:38 am 

My mistake, I bow to other peoples superior knowledge. I was only young at the time, you must all be much older then me.

The sentiment still stands though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm 

It human to make mistakes. The trick is to learn from them, some people never do. You're okay by me,
Bluedragon, you know your books and music and politics. Oh and you happen to be a Frickley' supporter,
what more could anybody want?
Don't worry, I've got plenty more ideas, schemes and things happening, just some people aren't too keen to
hear about them on here. Which is fair enough.
I made a million mistakes in my early writing career, which helped me guide others in writing groups.