It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Wash out again?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am 

Half of tonight's games already postponed. I'm assuming the Pont and N. Shields home games are on 4g so should be fine. Whitley Bay A only game on grass that's still on I believe. Looking at photo's of our pitch it's probably touch and go for Saturday!

I can't think of winter / spring so bad in a while. Since mid- November we've managed 10 games in 21 weeks and that includes numerous attempts to play mid-week. I'm sure other sides will have had it worse as well.

We now face the prospect of 13 games in 4 weeks on top of the numerous Sunday games that happen this time of year. Easy to ask players to put Saturdays first but when you don't pay players what hold do you have over them.

I get that most teams are in the same boat, but that doesn't make it right!

Post subject: Re: Wash out again?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am 

Its becoming a nightmare now.

Surely we need to look at starting the season the week earlier, and trying to fit more games in at the start.

Our friends up the road at KYPC still have potentially 20 games left to play in 4 weeks.

All the best with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

More midweeks at the start of the season must be played. If we move the start date forward then it'll mean starting in July which can't happen.

But there seems to be a fear that we might get ahead of ourselves by Christmas if we play too many midweeks at the start. Who knows, even finish a season in April. That's something that NEVER happens.

We only had 3 midweek fixtures in Aug & Sep but now we're expected to play about 8 in the remaining 4 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm 

Totally agree, we've been asking for mid-week games for ages, and I'm pretty sure we were told to back off by the league as they won't enforce fixtures outside of day light saving. Crazy really but you can only take a horse to water...

More midweek games at the start of a season and practicality about reversing fixtures if you haven't played a team once yet to give games a better chance. Also make use of teams with flood lights where possible - I know there isn't many but even if we'd managed a couple of games it would have made a big difference.

We find ourselves in a great position but playing every 2 to 3 days is a very big ask and takes the shine off what should be an exciting end to the season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

It's a nightmare and surely one of the worst seasons we've experienced for some time and weather wise we don't seem to be out the mire yet either.

We've had 9 games called off all told (including 5 in March, (when the weather is normally improving) while I know many others , especially those at the behest of the local authority or pitch owner could be in a much worse situation.

At a time when grassroots football at this level is struggling big time, we're entering a spell where players signed up to Sunday teams (probably most of them) could possibly end up being asked to play 5 or 6 games a week, (far too much) as a result we'll see some unusual 'outcomes' and I bet there'll be one or two clubs who won't be able to fulfil a fixture and will cop for the usual fine and points deduction, which won't make things any easier.

The season runs from August to May, yet clubs are having to fit in up to 50% of their league fixtures in a few short weeks, near the end of the season - big squads needed, preferably full of lads who work Monday to Friday and finish at 4pm......

We actually finished our 2014-15 league season on April 18th, so it is possible if the winter ain't so bad (and you get knocked out the cups quickly!)

PMA twitter - @PercyMainFC

PMA Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/55228916777/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 am 

Percy Main wrote:
It's a nightmare and surely one of the worst seasons we've experienced for some time and weather wise we don't seem to be out the mire yet either.

We've had 9 games called off all told (including 5 in March, (when the weather is normally improving) while I know many others , especially those at the behest of the local authority or pitch owner could be in a much worse situation.

At a time when grassroots football at this level is struggling big time, we're entering a spell where players signed up to Sunday teams (probably most of them) could possibly end up being asked to play 5 or 6 games a week, (far too much) as a result we'll see some unusual 'outcomes' and I bet there'll be one or two clubs who won't be able to fulfil a fixture and will cop for the usual fine and points deduction, which won't make things any easier.

The season runs from August to May, yet clubs are having to fit in up to 50% of their league fixtures in a few short weeks, near the end of the season - big squads needed, preferably full of lads who work Monday to Friday and finish at 4pm......

We actually finished our 2014-15 league season on April 18th, so it is possible if the winter ain't so bad (and you get knocked out the cups quickly!)

To much emphasis on getting cup games out of the way . My opinion would be nothing but league fixtures up to Xmas . If and only if league fixtures were still well behind then drop the divisional cups and keep the league cup and he back up for first round losers . County cups should not be given the preference they get every season or maybe the county FA of clubs could provide a 4 g pitch free for games postponed on the Saturday . We all know they have plenty funds .
It won’t happen tho and next year we will be having the same debates .

I do tho agree with Chinny in saying there are a few clubs who have lights who could be playing midweek throughout the season .
We have been trying since January to get midweek games on but only Killy Rutherford and Wallington showed any interest .
Something has to give it’s as plain and simple as that .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 am 

The Falcon wrote:
More midweeks at the start of the season must be played. If we move the start date forward then it'll mean starting in July which can't happen.

But there seems to be a fear that we might get ahead of ourselves by Christmas if we play too many midweeks at the start. Who knows, even finish a season in April. That's something that NEVER happens.

We only had 3 midweek fixtures in Aug & Sep but now we're expected to play about 8 in the remaining 4 weeks.

The season should start the 1st Saturday in August like the NL does.

You could then start on the 4th August, instead of the 11th. Play on the Wednesday 8th, then your already 2 ahead of where you were last season.

If they expect teams to play Monday and Wednesday now, why cant we play Monday Wednesday in August and September?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:57 am 

bigcbeat wrote:
Percy Main wrote:

To much emphasis on getting cup games out of the way . My opinion would be nothing but league fixtures up to Xmas . If and only if league fixtures were still well behind then drop the divisional cups and keep the league cup and he back up for first round losers . County cups should not be given the preference they get every season or maybe the county FA of clubs could provide a 4 g pitch free for games postponed on the Saturday . We all know they have plenty funds .

I do tho agree with Chinny in saying there are a few clubs who have lights who could be playing midweek throughout the season .
We have been trying since January to get midweek games on but only Killy Rutherford and Wallington showed any interest .

Oh Colin, shut up with your good ideas and common sense! You'll get chased out of football!

I agree with all you have said. At the level my team are at we may struggle to get a team together on a Wednesday floodlit game, but if teams are operating at step 7 then they should expect to have to do that from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 am 

johnna wrote:
bigcbeat wrote:
Percy Main wrote:

Oh Colin, shut up with your good ideas and common sense! You'll get chased out of football!

I agree with all you have said. At the level my team are at we may struggle to get a team together on a Wednesday floodlit game, but if teams are operating at step 7 then they should expect to have to do that from time to time.

F.A. Vase, Trophy & Cup matches should be played without the possibility of a replay. Then stick all the other Cup competitions midweek(if clubs have floodlights).