It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Washington A
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:35 pm 

Strange game to watch. I was willing us to kick with the wind if we won the toss as all reports said it was dying out as the afternoon went on (which is what happened). We found it difficult to get out of our own half in round 1 but defended stoutly. I was happy with 2 down at half time which sounds strange but I thought we would pile into them with the wind in the second half. However we emerged from the half time cuppa and found the wind had calmed a lot. However we did tear into Washington and were soon level with a smart finish from Moley and a deflected effort from Dom that looped in. We were well on top and took the lead with a fine move, a great cross from Davey Surrey and a fine header from Dom. Washington attacked in the last fifteen but we looked comfortable but with a couple of minutes to go we failed to clear the ball two or three times down the right side of our defence and the ball broke to the Washington 9 who to be fair took the chance really well. A draw I would have settled for at HT but left feeling a bit disappointed that we didn't get three points. Another fine effort from the lads who never stopped trying even at 2 down and deserved at least their point

Post subject: Re: Washington A
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:10 pm 

Only caught second hal but from what i seen it was hard to see which team was bottom. Chester could and should have had it put to bed b4 Washys equaliser. Cracking second half from your lads. Play lije that every week uz will be ok am sure of it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm 

Horrible 1st half - wind against us and a real struggle to get into the game - lost count of the number of throw in's down the Washy right where we didn't get any meaningful challenge in - their number 4 just stepping in, pickup up the ball and pinging it about ..... all pretty yuck & lucky to just be 2 down at half time.

2nd half, even with the wind dropped the lads got in amongst them - bit of a you've had your chance now it's ours !

Joe Grant got into the game and started standing up the Washy midfielders.

With Moley on, Dom had the chance to run onto passes and flicks ..... where there's a Moley there's a goaly ! (A Micky Carroll Stand favourite chant .....OK needs some work !)

Great ball in by Davey Surrey ...... why aren't we seeing a few more of those every game ?

MOTM : Kegs (again !) form really picked up - headed & tackled all game - a real Captains performance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:44 pm 

Well a poor first half in terms of retaining possession...we work our socks off to get the ball back and then either give it away or kick it out of play. I know conditions weren't great in the first half and we were kicking into a strong wind but it was as much about a lack of confidence when in possession as it was about the conditions. No disrespect to Washington but they are not a better team (although they looked it in that first half).On the upside I thought we were fairly solid defensively first half and only a high ball and scramble in the box could change that and surprise surprise that's what happened. Thought our middle 5 or 4+1 were a bit bypassed too.....just got the feeling they wanted it more than us and their front two were a threat. Great save from Jack just before first goal as well.

Second half was like a different game, a bit of fight and a change of tactics put them under pressure and we reaped the rewards. Would have gladly accepted a point at half time but when we got ahead we seemed to step off the pedal...difficult not to be disappointed when three points would have made so much more of a difference and were so close but after the dust settles a point is a point Lee a big difference when he can on but Keggs consistent all game....we have to realise there is not much difference between the bottom six teams in terms of ability but confidence and a few lucky breaks would make all the difference....don't seem to have either at the moment....hopefully that will change!!!